Breaking Bad: AMC's best so far? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Bad: AMC's best so far?

dean_martin
01-05-2011, 02:26 PM
AMC may not have a full stable of original series, but the ones I've seen so far are pretty good. I'm halfway through the second season of Breaking Bad on dvd and I can't get enough. Bryan Cranston's character and his predicaments keep creeping into my head.

This one is on its way to surpassing Mad Men in my AMC series rankings. (It's just a short list of 3.) If Mad Men is AMC's #1, then Breaking Bad is #1b. We'll see if these two flip-flop in the rankings as I finish season 2 and move onto 3 before season 4 cranks up in the Spring. (The Walking Dead, though enjoyable, is a distant third.)

Will Breaking Bad make the "best series of all time" list? I think so, but I haven't watched enough to rank it yet.

kexodusc
01-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Never watched it - never even heard of it, which is surprising cause I have all the Mad Men seasons. Gonna start watch it this week though. Thanks for the recommendation.

Worf101
01-06-2011, 05:41 AM
My close friend Sugi, who owns The Spectrum 8 Theatre here in Albany (www.spectrum8.com) swears by this show. She hipped me to Mad Men and I thank her but I've never gotten into Breaking Bad. Hmmm... I've run across a few too many meth labs working on cross-country electric and gas transmission lines. Guess I don't find the subject matter food for entertainment yet.

Worf

dean_martin
01-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Hmmm... I've run across a few too many meth labs working on cross-country electric and gas transmission lines. Guess I don't find the subject matter food for entertainment yet.

Worf

I get that perspective. A couple episodes/segments really take you to the depths of meth hell - they make you feel dirty. But the show doesn't dwell on it constantly and there's smart humor. The development of Cranston's character is most interesting. At the point I'm at, he's losing sight of his original motive.

dean_martin
01-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Never watched it - never even heard of it, which is surprising cause I have all the Mad Men seasons. Gonna start watch it this week though. Thanks for the recommendation.

I noticed it before we got AMC in hd, but I never watched a full episode. My son recommended it over Thanksgiving. At the time, Best Buy had seasons 1 and 2 for $9.99 each so I decided to give it a try. I think it's very well written and well acted, but I'm debating myself over whether it has as broad an appeal as Mad Men. I'm interested in your thoughts after you give it a try. Post back.

Swish
01-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Mad Men is among my favorite shows of all time, so I guess I'll need to check this one out as well. I can always catch up previous episodes via On Demand or previous seasons, if there are any, on Netflix.

dean_martin
01-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Mad Men is among my favorite shows of all time, so I guess I'll need to check this one out as well. I can always catch up previous episodes via On Demand or previous seasons, if there are any, on Netflix.

3 seasons. Season 1 is 7 episodes including an excellent pilot - the version on dvd is uncut/uncensored. IIRC, it was going to be pitched to HBO so the pilot has a lil nudity. Season 2 is 13 episodes. I haven't seen season 3 yet. Season 4 starts soon I think - maybe Feb. "They" pulled me in by pricing seasons 1 & 2 @ 9.99 on dvd. Now I have to get season 3.

kexodusc
01-23-2011, 04:22 AM
I'm halfway through season 2. I wouldn't rank it as high as Mad Men on my list but it's certainly pretty good so far, can't believe this one flew under the radar.

For $10 a season I don't think anyone can go wrong.