What are you looking forward to in 2011? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What are you looking forward to in 2011?

Swish
01-02-2011, 10:29 AM
For me, at least music-related, I am eager to get my new HT room ready to go. It's going to take a lot of work, but I'm really looking forward to it. I'm not going to rush because I want the design to be as good as possible while making sure I can modify it in the future as needed.

I'm also looking forward to the new cd releases from British Sea Power on 1/11, The Jayhawks on 1/18 (yes, they're back together), Iron and Wine on January 25th (you can download one song for free if you visit their website), The Decemberists on Jan. 15th, p.j. harvey on February 15th, and the Mountain Goats on March 29th.

As for OT items, I wish good health to a sister-in-law and a former employee who recently had surgery for cancer. Each was given a good prognosis, but you never know with cancer.

And for all my RR friends, I wish you a healthy and prosperous 2011.

Swish

Davey
01-02-2011, 01:02 PM
New Feelies record, that should be fun.

Rae
01-02-2011, 01:22 PM

Whoa, really? I hadn't heard!

For me:

Ɣ Gay Beast - To Smithereens (http://cineplosion.blogspot.com/2010/12/just-released-gay-beast-smithereens.html) (third LP, coming out on Skin Graft)
Ɣ Death - Spiritual / Mental / Physical (http://www.dragcity.com/products/spiritual-mental-physical) (long-lost followup to ...For the Whole World to See, being released by Drag City)

Both of those are dropping in January. Not sure what's happening after that.

~Rae

ForeverAutumn
01-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Musically, I'm looking forward to new music from The Decemberists, R.E.M. and Threshold. I'm not sure who else is releasing new music this year.

Unmusically, I'm looking forward to getting a few more renovations done in our house, doing a whole lot of landscaping, and buying some new furniture. I'm also looking forward to a trip to New Orleans and maybe a few other trips throughout the year. Who knows where 2011 will take us. :)

Swish
01-02-2011, 01:55 PM

The hermit named Dave. How have you been dude?

I did hear about that Feelies record but forgot about it when making my post. Looks like we won't see until spring, and it's their first in 20 years.

3LB
01-02-2011, 02:22 PM
I wairing until about February or March to start buying new music. Mybe even later.

Swish
01-02-2011, 02:37 PM
I wairing until about February or March to start buying new music. Mybe even later.

:biggrin5:

Davey
01-02-2011, 03:01 PM
At least he waited until after breakfast :aureola:

Did you hear The Limiņanas debut record? Pretty cool, got some of that Luna -> Dean and Britta vibe, but maybe a little more Talking Heads. Kinda light-weight French-pop. but fun.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/117/l_0f41b22554294158b65e55f945482f54.jpg

Jack in Wilmington
01-02-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm looking forward to one big thing. July 1st 2011. It's hopefully my last day of work. As long as the stock market keeps going good and keeps pumping money into my 401K. Then every day is Saturday. I'll be able to give my gear the attention it deserves.

tentoze
01-03-2011, 05:19 AM
That new Decemberists is good. Others up on the radar that I'm aware of:

Lucinda Williams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucinda_Williams) – Blessed (March 1)
Hayes Carll – KMAG YOYO (February 15)
My Morning Jacket (TBA)
Iron and Wine – Kiss Each Other Clean (January 25)
Middle Brother (TBA, March 2011)
Todd Snider- The Storyteller (February 1)

Mr MidFi
01-03-2011, 06:52 AM
As usual, I'm looking forward to a new REM disc. And I'll be tickled delirious if the rumors are true about them headlining Lollapalooza this year.

Right now, I'm looking forward to seeing the Bears in the playoffs. Especially if they get a chance to kick the Eagles' collective arse once again. :ciappa:

And I'm pretty torqued up about my upcoming trip to Vietnam in March.

Stone
01-03-2011, 06:58 AM
The Jayhawks on 1/18 (yes, they're back together)

The reissues of Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow The Green Grass drop on 1/18 but I believe they're still in the recording process on the new one (although I could be wrong on that). Great to see Mark Olsen back with them and recording though.

Mr MidFi
01-03-2011, 10:49 AM
The reissues of Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow The Green Grass drop on 1/18 but I believe they're still in the recording process on the new one (although I could be wrong on that). Great to see Mark Olsen back with them and recording though.

Anyone who likes The Jayhawks and who doesn't have both of these two stellar releases needs to update their wishlist right freakin' now. I'm not sure if I need the reissues necessarily, but these are two of the best examples of Americana roots-rock released in the 90s. (Or ever, for that matter.)

kexodusc
01-03-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm looking forward to my RR pals to keep me up to date on what I should be sampling in 2011. New Nightwish Album is top of my list for this year so far.

OT, birth of my daughters, and some much needed time off - I switched jobs in November and had to take 8 days vacation in cash. Would rather have had the time off but oh well.

Hope 2011 treats you all well.

Hope Swishy finally gets his HT room finished - I don't think I could handle it in 2012 :)

3LB
01-03-2011, 11:33 AM
but I'll start proof-reading my posts immediately

:smilewinkgrin:

jonnyhambone
01-04-2011, 11:03 AM
New Akron/Family in Feb. - S/T II: The Cosmic Birth and Journey of Shinju TNT....no idea what that title's about but I'll def. be seeing them on that tour.
James Blake full length in Feb.
The vinyl reissue of Sonic Youth's Bad Moon Rising I ordered in August (!) is supposed to ship later this month (if you like them, the Sister reissue on lp sounds Worlds better than my cd)
Wire new one...maybe

Swish
01-04-2011, 11:43 AM

They just played at the TLA in Philly, where I saw them about 7 or 8 years ago, as best I can recall. Mark wasn't with them, but it was still a very good show.

Swish
01-04-2011, 11:45 AM
At least he waited until after breakfast :aureola:

Did you hear The Limiņanas debut record? Pretty cool, got some of that Luna -> Dean and Britta vibe, but maybe a little more Talking Heads. Kinda light-weight French-pop. but fun.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/117/l_0f41b22554294158b65e55f945482f54.jpg

But you know I'll be checking it out...d'oh!

Jim Clark
01-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Man, there's tons coming out that I'll have to at least consider according to metacritic:
British Sea Power
Wire
Gang of Four
Kraftwerk
The Go! Team
Cut Copy
the Dears
The Wrens
Shins
Human League
Iron and Wine
and I never give up hope for a new Postal Service disc. It was rumored a couple of years ago and it came back up recently from a completely unreliable source so I maintain a sliver of hope.

Rae
01-06-2011, 12:07 PM
The Wrens are coming out with a new album too, huh? Iiiinnterestinggg... this seems like some vast conspiracy to get me to spend lots of my money.

~Rae

Jim Clark
01-07-2011, 10:53 AM
The Wrens are coming out with a new album too, huh? Iiiinnterestinggg... this seems like some vast conspiracy to get me to spend lots of my money.

~Rae

Well, that is according to the metacritic site which doesn't always pan out. Here's hoping.

Stone
01-07-2011, 11:02 AM
They've been recording. They do Facebook updates. Haven't seen a release date on there though.

Auricauricle
01-08-2011, 12:23 PM
What am I looking forward to in 2011? For starters, I would say the entrance of the Republicans on the Hill as well as the rest of the Obama-phobes, who have decried Obama's person and work and are supremely confident that their presence will, at last, put this foundering ship of state aright.

Would that I could be there to open the door wide for them!

Jack in Wilmington
01-08-2011, 01:46 PM
What am I looking forward to in 2011? For starters, I would say the entrance of the Republicans on the Hill as well as the rest of the Obama-phobes, who have decried Obama's person and work and are supremely confident that their presence will, at last, put this foundering ship of state aright.

Would that I could be there to open the door wide for them!

I just hope that they can work together and keep everything going in the right direction. It's taken 2 years for Obama to get the country going in the right direction after the failed policies of the Bush administration. We need to get the people working again and lower our dependance on foreign oil. I'm sure I make it sound so simple.

Swish
01-08-2011, 02:38 PM
I just hope that they can work together and keep everything going in the right direction. It's taken 2 years for Obama to get the country going in the right direction after the failed policies of the Bush administration. We need to get the people working again and lower our dependance on foreign oil. I'm sure I make it sound so simple.

I'm really trying to avoid politics on this site, but I feel the need to respond. As a fiscal conservative, Bush was not my favorite president, but Obama blasted him for 'failed leadership and policies' when he voted against raising the debt ceiling as a US Senator, and now the shoe is on the other foot and guess what? Yeah, you guessed it. After raising our National Debt from $9 Trillion to $14 Trillion, he wants to borrow even more. Stop the world, I want to get off.

In addition, Bush was blasted when gasoline rose about $3 per gallon, with Hilary Clinton leading the charge that Bush was in the pockets of the oil companies, but now with prices over $3 per gallon, nary a word is said. Sounds like a double-standard.

Auricauricle
01-08-2011, 02:59 PM
There is enough of this riff-raff to go around. My remarks (despite my use of the "R Word") are more directed toward those on the far left and right sides of the aisle.

But, as long as we're mentioning Georgie Porgie....

Slosh
01-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Why do you think the republicans are trying to repeal the entirety of "Obama's" health care reform? Because, for example, if you told ignoramuses you were trying to let health insurance companies screen and deny you for pre-existing conditions it would never pass. Let's just throw out the baby with the bathwater.

A soundbite voting public deserves their soundbite governance.

Swish
01-09-2011, 05:37 AM
There is enough of this riff-raff to go around. My remarks (despite my use of the "R Word") are more directed toward those on the far left and right sides of the aisle.

But, as long as we're mentioning Georgie Porgie....

...but to you and Jack. I happen to agree with you that there are far too many idiots on both ends of the political spectrum. My issue with the Obama agenda is that he seems to be doing exactly the same thing as Bush; throwing money at problems and worsening our economy. The mid-term elections sent the right message, and all of Congress, not just the Dems, need to get serious about our economy.

Swish
01-09-2011, 05:43 AM
Why do you think the republicans are trying to repeal the entirety of "Obama's" health care reform? Because, for example, if you told ignoramuses you were trying to let health insurance companies screen and deny you for pre-existing conditions it would never pass. Let's just throw out the baby with the bathwater.

A soundbite voting public deserves their soundbite governance.

But I'm not going to debate it here on RR. As a fiscal conservative, I want less government, and this 2800 page reform bill is just too much to digest and I truly believe it's going to end up costing all of us more...a lot more.

Next up is the 2400 page Dodd-Frank 'Financial Reform Bill' that does nothing to address the problems with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Why? Because Barney Frank is still in denial that it was his fault those two GSEs are going to cost the taxpayers nearly a trillion dollars when all is said and done. It's so much easier to 'blame Bush' that to take accountability...which he had during their down-fall.

Jack in Wilmington
01-09-2011, 06:57 AM
...but to you and Jack. I happen to agree with you that there are far too many idiots on both ends of the political spectrum. My issue with the Obama agenda is that he seems to be doing exactly the same thing as Bush; throwing money at problems and worsening our economy. The mid-term elections sent the right message, and all of Congress, not just the Dems, need to get serious about our economy.

Oh I think Obama is throwing a lot more money at the problems than Bush did. But I feel some of it is at least doing some good. It definitely helped GM get back on the right track.
I'll admit that I really only look at it as far as what it has done for me. My company has gone from laying off during the recession, to hiring 40 new employees last year alone. My 401K has soared in the last two years. Now I'm sure that the people who have been out of work for two years have a different view of the Obama administration. You can't please everyone.

Swish
01-09-2011, 07:18 AM
Oh I think Obama is throwing a lot more money at the problems than Bush did. But I feel some of it is at least doing some good. It definitely helped GM get back on the right track.
I'll admit that I really only look at it as far as what it has done for me. My company has gone from laying off during the recession, to hiring 40 new employees last year alone. My 401K has soared in the last two years. Now I'm sure that the people who have been out of work for two years have a different view of the Obama administration. You can't please everyone.

...and that's the money part.

I sincerely doubt that anything Obama has done is the reason for the stock market coming back to life. It sunk lower than the underlying values of the companies that are 'the market' and was a result of 'market risk' brought on by panic selling. Once it hit its nadir, which was a few months after Obama took office, it started coming back...like it always does and regardless of what Obama or any other president 'does'.

As for GM, they are profitable (finally) but it remains to be seen if we'll get our $50 million back, and I really cringe at the thought of government bailing out private business. I just think it sets the wrong tone and rewards failure.

Jack in Wilmington
01-09-2011, 08:02 AM
...and that's the money part.

I sincerely doubt that anything Obama has done is the reason for the stock market coming back to life. It sunk lower than the underlying values of the companies that are 'the market' and was a result of 'market risk' brought on by panic selling. Once it hit its nadir, which was a few months after Obama took office, it started coming back...like it always does and regardless of what Obama or any other president 'does'.

As for GM, they are profitable (finally) but it remains to be seen if we'll get our $50 million back, and I really cringe at the thought of government bailing out private business. I just think it sets the wrong tone and rewards failure.

That's true. I want to see these companies start paying back the bailout money. I want to see BP start paying back for the debacle in the gulf. I also want the Republicians come up with a dynamic person to run for office in 2012.

Davey
01-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Just downloaded the new British Sea Power from http://www.alllossless.com/british-sea-power-valhalla-dancehall-2011-flac/ and not sure what I think yet. I guess a little more ordinary than I was hoping for, and maybe too subdued overall, but they still have a way with me. Cool band. I can tell this one will take a few listens, but had me smiling from play.