Show your Gear section?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Show your Gear section??

recoveryone
12-31-2010, 10:55 PM
What happen to the section that let us post pictures of our gear? I guess I've been around on this forum way too long...lol. I was bored and took some pix of my current setup:

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6258/img1930zk.jpg
HD Broadcast of ESPN

The other pic are to large to post on here so here are the links:

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1184/img1935s.jpg

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8017/img1936j.jpg

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1681/img1937to.jpg

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/1875/img1938w.jpg

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6711/img1926t.jpg

TheHills44060
01-01-2011, 01:36 PM
The picture gallery is still here but it is clumsy to navigate through compared to the way it used top be when the site first started.

Good pics, Mitusbishi VCR's have always been my favorite.

recoveryone
01-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I found it this morning, and your right, not very friendly. But at least I didn't have to reduce the size of my shots first to upload (very common on other sites).

pixelthis
01-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Used to have a Mitsu SVHS back in Jurassic days, very smooth mechanicals.
Then, when it quit working I took it apart, had very thick automotive grade grease slapped
on the mechanicals, had gotten all over the place.
And I guess Pioneer does make good stuff, all of this stuff from the eighties still works.
Ever heard of the concept of moving on?:1:

recoveryone
01-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Used to have a Mitsu SVHS back in Jurassic days, very smooth mechanicals.
Then, when it quit working I took it apart, had very thick automotive grade grease slapped
on the mechanicals, had gotten all over the place.
And I guess Pioneer does make good stuff, all of this stuff from the eighties still works.
Ever heard of the concept of moving on?:1:

Move on to what???? I have just about every means of playback devices over the years (dumped my TT a Few years back) and have the current HD standard, Blu Ray. It all works as good as it did when I purchased it and I still have items to use on each piece of gear. Now I may not use the Cassette player and VCR much, but every blue moon I get the urge to listen to some of my old mix tapes or even watch a movie that I have on VHS that I did not replace on DVD, specially the old Disney and Barbie ones for my kids. So I don't think I need to throw out the baby with the bath water each time a new format or technology comes along, if I did I would have a HD DVD player sitting around with a DAT deck. I look at my gear as an investment, not a throw away AM radio. It may be another 3-5 years before I upgrade my AVR unless it dies first, and the same with my Squeezebox 3. Its old, but it set the standard for others to meet or exceed, a Transport model is ideal, but I may never see the cost be justified and force me to spend more on other components to match what I feel would be at the same level. Then as with any technology what you buy today is old in the morning. So only you can determined at what pace you upgrade!

Keep the Faith my Vizio brother...lol

thekid
01-03-2011, 03:00 AM
Nice set-up!
I am a fan of Pioneer gear myself for my HT receivers.
Don't worry about some of that older gear.
People knock me for having my 400 laserdiscs but just as you mentioned with your VHS I have titles there that I either can't find on DVD or are fairly expensive on DVD. For movies especially older ones I don't see the need to rush out and buy the latest format.

pixelthis
01-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Move on to what???? I have just about every means of playback devices over the years (dumped my TT a Few years back) and have the current HD standard, Blu Ray. It all works as good as it did when I purchased it and I still have items to use on each piece of gear. Now I may not use the Cassette player and VCR much, but every blue moon I get the urge to listen to some of my old mix tapes or even watch a movie that I have on VHS that I did not replace on DVD, specially the old Disney and Barbie ones for my kids. So I don't think I need to throw out the baby with the bath water each time a new format or technology comes along, if I did I would have a HD DVD player sitting around with a DAT deck. I look at my gear as an investment, not a throw away AM radio. It may be another 3-5 years before I upgrade my AVR unless it dies first, and the same with my Squeezebox 3. Its old, but it set the standard for others to meet or exceed, a Transport model is ideal, but I may never see the cost be justified and force me to spend more on other components to match what I feel would be at the same level. Then as with any technology what you buy today is old in the morning. So only you can determined at what pace you upgrade!

Keep the Faith my Vizio brother...lol

My folks have the Vizio.
Its just that watching (or listening to) such antiquated formats is time you don't get back,
is all.
I certainly wouldnt bother replacing stuff that broke.:1:

recoveryone
01-03-2011, 05:13 PM
My folks have the Vizio.
Its just that watching (or listening to) such antiquated formats is time you don't get back,
is all.
I certainly wouldnt bother replacing stuff that broke.:1:

Time spent with my kids watching old Disney movies on VHS priceless

Time spent with my wife listening to old cassette tapes I made for her and us priceless (more of an investment)

Time spent watching old home VHS movies of my kids when they were younger Timeless

There are somethings I do that I don't worry about my time, if the enjoyment is worth it and memories that come from it. I remember when you would visit people and the first thing that came out was the photo albums and how that would start all types of conversations about growing up, old cars, hair styles, clothes and memories of people that have past on. Now days we keep all of our photos on Hard Drives, When was the last time you had some friends or family over and shared your photos with them? Sometimes the old stuff is what kept us closer.

harley .guy07
01-03-2011, 07:06 PM
There is nothing wrong with older stuff and if you have media for a vcr and laserdisc player keep them hooked up. I remember laserdisc as well and while it was not quite dvd quality they are pretty good. I do still have a panasonic VCR that I keep around to hook it up when I want to watch home camcorder movies from years ago or the few VHS tapes that I have but I have use my bedroom television since it have the proper hookups for it.

thekid
01-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Time spent with my kids watching old Disney movies on VHS priceless

Time spent with my wife listening to old cassette tapes I made for her and us priceless (more of an investment)

Time spent watching old home VHS movies of my kids when they were younger Timeless

There are somethings I do that I don't worry about my time, if the enjoyment is worth it and memories that come from it. I remember when you would visit people and the first thing that came out was the photo albums and how that would start all types of conversations about growing up, old cars, hair styles, clothes and memories of people that have past on. Now days we keep all of our photos on Hard Drives, When was the last time you had some friends or family over and shared your photos with them? Sometimes the old stuff is what kept us closer.

Well said!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Sometimes it just comes down to the intangibles......