ipad as a universal remote [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ipad as a universal remote

stevemiro5
12-31-2010, 05:04 AM
Anyone had any luck with an app that allows an ipad to be used as a universal remote? Trying to justify buying an ipad and since my current Rotel universal remote is on the way out, the thought of dropping $200 fro a Harmony is almost half the price of an ipod.

I know there are some pricey options-cheap like Control 4 that are using WIFI that rock but are not cheap.

pixelthis
12-31-2010, 12:57 PM
Anyone had any luck with an app that allows an ipad to be used as a universal remote? Trying to justify buying an ipad and since my current Rotel universal remote is on the way out, the thought of dropping $200 fro a Harmony is almost half the price of an ipod.

I know there are some pricey options-cheap like Control 4 that are using WIFI that rock but are not cheap.

arrrrrg!!!

This is a MAJOR bug up my keister.
Why is it that most consider a "universal" remote an "accessory" or some kind of luxury
item and constantly trying to figure out a way not to buy one?.
How about an amp or receiver? Can you get around not having one of those?
200 smakers? Cheep! MY pronto cost 525 seven years ago, with cradle, and was one of
the most important purchases I have ever made.
I have reconfigured it more times than I can count, have had three receivers, a zillion TV sets, you name it. And I HAVE ONE REMOTE, customized for my system, because I CUSTOMIZED my LCD panel as I got new equipment, or my system changed.
My HT system may not be as nice as some on this board, but it is a system,
an integrated unit, not a collection of spare parts.
A DECENT UNIVERSAL remote is not cheap, but what you need to realize is that
200 bucks for a decent remote like a Harmony is quite a bargain, indeed.
And you will realize this as you sit there with your "wand", running your system, doing complex things at the push of a button.
Dont know about the IPADS abilities, do know its pretty good for reading books.
AND I do know that it can't beat a dedicated remote.
Like the guy says, "you can pay me now, or you can pay me later", like when you're pulling your hair out trying to adapt something to do what it is only supposed to be a fill in for.
And a decent remote, one that can actually control a system, continues to be
the Rodney Dangerfield of the AV world, except he got more respect.
People into this stuff sit around and dream about the latest gear, but even cables
are ahead of the one thing that integrates a system, pulls everything together, and makes it a joy instead of a pain to own. THE WIFE being able to use it is only a bonus.:1:

Swish
01-01-2011, 08:04 AM
...I'll be looking for something better when I set up my new HT room. I'm sure others will chime in with advice, but I do want something with a touch screen and will probably go for the Harmony 1100. They were going for $400 originally but I saw them on ebay for as low as $239 with free shipping and no tax. With all the money I have invested in my other gear, there's no way I'm going to go the cheap route of what I consider a vital element to my system.

I do have a question for everyone though. Since my Adcom amps can't be switched on or off with a remote, would it be harmful to just leave them turned on for long periods of time? A friend of mine leaves his on all the time, except when he's going away for vacation or something. I just wonder if that could be bad for my amps.

pixelthis
01-02-2011, 11:01 AM
...I'll be looking for something better when I set up my new HT room. I'm sure others will chime in with advice, but I do want something with a touch screen and will probably go for the Harmony 1100. They were going for $400 originally but I saw them on ebay for as low as $239 with free shipping and no tax. With all the money I have invested in my other gear, there's no way I'm going to go the cheap route of what I consider a vital element to my system.

I do have a question for everyone though. Since my Adcom amps can't be switched on or off with a remote, would it be harmful to just leave them turned on for long periods of time? A friend of mine leaves his on all the time, except when he's going away for vacation or something. I just wonder if that could be bad for my amps.

flip em off.
Won't hurt to leave them on but it will burn electricity, use up designed lifespan, etc.
Is there no twelve volt trigger on your receiver/preamp?
ALSO, if the wattage or amps are not two high, you can plug a power strip into the utility
plug on the receiver/preamp, when it comes on so do the amps.
Lots of things you can do. RADIO SHACK sell modules that work through your powerlines.
Plug your device into a module, then into the wall. Your control pad is used to turn it off,
I use this for my remote light switch, not expensive, works great.
Poor mans Lutton.:1: