Nintendo warns of eye damage from 3D [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo warns of eye damage from 3D

Hyfi
12-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Seems like a few of us have been correct in thinking that the long term effects of 3D programming and games are not a safe thing and there have not been enough long term research to say otherwise.

Nintendo has warned that children under the age of 6 should not even play them.

I guess if you are 6 and a day, you will be safe.....yeah right!

They also warn that 3D programming can be just as unsafe for some.

Full story here
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101230/ts_afp/entertainmentjapangame3dnintendo

harley .guy07
12-30-2010, 08:48 AM
that does not surprise me. the 3d thing is a fad in my opinion and with the depth perception trick it plays on the eyes I could see it being harmful with long term exposure. I am no medical expert or anything but I could see it.

Hyfi
12-30-2010, 08:54 AM
that does not surprise me. the 3d thing is a fad in my opinion and with the depth perception trick it plays on the eyes I could see it being harmful with long term exposure. I am no medical expert or anything but I could see it.

For sure and it's what Pix and I have felt from the beginning. I was just reading comments from people at the bottom where they get headaches after 5 minutes.

The problem is, if they actually did the same testing required in the medical world, they would have really messed up many people in the process. I would love to see the long term study results, if there were actually any by independent organizations with no ties to the industry. But, I am pretty sure there are none.

pixelthis
12-30-2010, 12:44 PM
For sure and it's what Pix and I have felt from the beginning. I was just reading comments from people at the bottom where they get headaches after 5 minutes.

The problem is, if they actually did the same testing required in the medical world, they would have really messed up many people in the process. I would love to see the long term study results, if there were actually any by independent organizations with no ties to the industry. But, I am pretty sure there are none.

Its not what I "FEEL", its what I KNOW.
talky won't believe it, but I have seen several types of 3D over the years, red and blue
glasses, polarized glasses, shutter glasses, you name it.
All of them caused headaches with extended use. 3D is great for moderate use, but after
a few hours the headaches start. And with marathon gaming sessions!!
3D in TV is the biggest corp mistake since the Gulf Oil spill, and I CAN'T BELIEVE
that it is being sold. I bet lawyers are salivating at the mouth.:1:

filecat13
12-31-2010, 10:12 PM
Wow, that seems both responsible and stupid on Nintendo's part, since they're betting their future on a 3D gaming device.

"Uh, we have this really cool device, but we're not recommending it for a key part of our target demographic. However, it's completely safe for everyone else."

:confused:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Ninetendo just like Samsung are just putting the warning out there to limit their liability in case of abuse or misuse. I have been watching 3D movies in the theater for the last 5 years, and at home for the last 8 months, and I have not had any negative experience with my eyes, or any headaches from the experience.

All these alarmist proclamations is just plain nonsense.

Pixie, if you get headaches from watching 3D, go get your eyes checked. You may have an eye problem that makes it difficult to focus on centrally located images. Every person I have heard complain about headaches, had this problem. It was not the 3D, it was their eyes.

Hyfi
01-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Ninetendo just like Samsung are just putting the warning out there to limit their liability in case of abuse or misuse. I have been watching 3D movies in the theater for the last 5 years, and at home for the last 8 months, and I have not had any negative experience with my eyes, or any headaches from the experience.

Pixie, if you get headaches from watching 3D, go get your eyes checked. You may have an eye problem that makes it difficult to focus on centrally located images. Every person I have heard complain about headaches, had this problem. It was not the 3D, it was their eyes.

So how do they decide that 6 y/o and less is a problem but if it's the day after your 6th birthday your safe?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-01-2011, 03:06 PM
So how do they decide that 6 y/o and less is a problem but if it's the day after your 6th birthday your safe?

They don't know, and neither does anyone else for that matter.

The theory on 6 y/o and less is based on the fact that those years, the muscles in your eyes are still developing, and MAYBE 3D would over exercise the eyes of a child to the point of effecting the development of those muscles. Nobody knows this as a fact, but everyone developing 3D products wants to protect their butts just in case some parent wants to make the claim that 3D is the cause of their child having to wear corrective glasses as a result of 3D exposure.

With no definitive information on long term exposure to 3D, everyone is making claims, and counter claims about its long term effect on everyone. Until someone can establish a long term study on the issue, nobody's claims can be believed at this point - one way or the other.

Hyfi
01-02-2011, 06:10 AM
They don't know, and neither does anyone else for that matter.

With no definitive information on long term exposure to 3D, everyone is making claims, and counter claims about its long term effect on everyone. Until someone can establish a long term study on the issue, nobody's claims can be believed at this point - one way or the other.

That is exactly the point. And hopefully we don't find out in 20 years it does cause problems. We have enough ADD and more now in our population.

pixelthis
01-02-2011, 11:07 AM

IF YOU ARE using 3D for extended periods of time, you need to get your HEAD checked.
My eyes are closely watched, being a diabetic I have no choice but to keep a close "eye"
on them.
Go ahead and be a guinea pig, you have the I.Q for it.:1: