DVD-Audio/SACD rentals? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD-Audio/SACD rentals?

N. Abstentia
04-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Anybody know of a Netflix style place that rents DVD Audio and SACD? I'm on the fence about buying a player, and if I could rent the discs to try first that would probably push me over the edge to buy one. I've heard many of them are just junk so I'd like to try them first to see if any of them are actually worth it.

Stone
04-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Anybody know of a Netflix style place that rents DVD Audio and SACD? I'm on the fence about buying a player, and if I could rent the discs to try first that would probably push me over the edge to buy one. I've heard many of them are just junk so I'd like to try them first to see if any of them are actually worth it.

I don't think you'll find any. It's a violation of the copyright owner's rights under the Copyright Act - I believe section 109. This came as a result of the rental of albums that people were recording onto cassettes.

Dusty Chalk
04-10-2004, 02:14 PM
Besides, how are you going to listen to them unless you rent the player, too?

N. Abstentia
04-10-2004, 05:30 PM
Stone: Are you serious? Holy crap. What do they think I'm going to do? Copy a DVD-Audio disc onto a cassette? These people are really sad.

Dusty: Good question! Well I already have a DVD player, so I could at least hear the DD tracks of DVD Audio. With SACD I could either buy it from a place like Crutchfield who has a 30 day trial period, or I can borrow one from the local shop.

Stone
04-11-2004, 05:10 AM
Stone: Are you serious?

Dead.

If a local store will let you borrow/audition a player, I'd try to see if they'll let you borrow a couple discs to go with it (of course, they may not be the music you're interested in hearing). This would give you a general idea of how they sound, and there are quite a few places on the net where people discuss/review the sound quality of the hi-rez discs.

murmurup
04-13-2004, 10:43 PM

You could just go buy a dvd audio at best buy or something or get a used one off of Ebay. That's what i did and as soon as i heard i went out and got one. I wasn't that impressed with sacd. Most of the sacd are not even multi-channel. If you have a DTS system check out one of those. It's not DVD-A but it sounds damn good.

N. Abstentia
04-14-2004, 06:09 AM
Yeah I have a bunch of DTS CD's, I love them. I also recently rembered why I didn't get a DVD-Audio or SACD player a year ago when I first wanted...no bass management.