Can you hear difference on few db? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can you hear difference on few db?

Joe_Carr
12-26-2010, 06:06 PM
I know that my current speakers is from 65hz to 23kHz +/- 3db but if my speakers were +/- 2db or even +/- 1db would you hear a difference? I kinda wonder if anything 3db or lower is basicly very flat response for speakers. I just don't know if you can hear the difference. I think only a machine can detect the difference right?

Geoffcin
12-26-2010, 08:28 PM
I know that my current speakers is from 65hz to 23kHz +/- 3db but if my speakers were +/- 2db or even +/- 1db would you hear a difference? I kinda wonder if anything 3db or lower is basicly very flat response for speakers. I just don't know if you can hear the difference. I think only a machine can detect the difference right?

I would say yes, absolutely. The best speakers have tighter response curves.

kexodusc
12-27-2010, 06:50 AM
I would in a certain range of frequencies...probably. I am sensitive to midbass exaggeration and, sibilance...I can usually pick out differences of 2-3 dB in those ranges on source material, and sometimes even only 1 dB if I'm doing quick a/b comparisons.

Now, whether that difference in response is determined by you to sound better or not remains to be seen...I've heard speakers with very tight responses sound not so great, and speakers with some looser responses and maybe a range of frequencies with something really off sound quite good. It's common enough that I don't put much value on the difference between +/- 3 dB and +/- 2 dB...especially in most rooms in home where the room's response will dominate fr anyway. There' a lot more to than just response to consider.

Feanor
12-27-2010, 10:47 AM
No, your ears might very well hear a difference. But you can't just go with a stated spec of, say, "50 - 20 kHz, +/- 2 dB". It will depend on where the "peaks and valleys" occur and how "ragged" the response curve is.

It's been decades since Floyd Toole proved (yes, proved), that a flat, smooth fequency responses will sound better to any class of listners. As I recall, he felt +/- 1 dB and1/6 octave peaks and valleys were detectable to a human listener.

Joe_Carr
12-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Well I do know one thing about monitors is that they are made to put out sounds exactly how it was recorded without colors so basicly it's not meant to play music and make it sound good since if it does that then they are not monitors they are just normal stereo speakers since most stereos has colors like have that V shape in EQ. That's really bad for studio monitors though. I remember I used to own some Altec Lansings, Cyber Acoustics etc and they did sound good but they were NOT flat at all so bad for use in studios. I have heard some shelf stereos and they also sound good but that's because of having alot of bass and treble.

One thing I wonder is that audiophiles like me or so do most people buy speakers that are flat response like monitors or do most just buy speakers just because they sound good. I always thought most people who want the best sound system in there home usualy doesn't care about how flat the response is but want some color and make it sound like you are there kind of effect. Basicly I always thought that most audiophiles are not focused on how flat speakers sound but how good and life like they sound.

Joe_Carr
12-27-2010, 10:55 AM
For me I would rather have speakers that play like how it was recorded meaning in very flat response like monitors are. Many people say that flat response doesn't sound really impressive but that is how the music is recorded. Alot of stereos as I said have EQ and they made them sound very impressive and makes you feel the music but that's not really how your music sounds.

Well come to think of it if having speakers that is +/- 3db is flat enough then why would they make that is 2 db or even some around 1.5 db. I don't know if it's really worth paying soo much for just a 1 db difference or so. I noticed that higher end monitors have like 2 db or so. But I just don't know if you can really hear a difference if a speaker has 3 db or 2 db difference. That's really minor difference. But of cource there are other factors then just how flat the monitors are like usualy higher end monitors have more power and better internal amp, drivers, etc. But when it comes to how flat they are I don't see really a difference from just 3 db to around 2 db or so.

I been talking to others on different forums and they say that +/- 3db or less will be great for monitors and I just didn't think that having around 2 db would make a difference.

Does anyone know why do companies make speakers that are like 2db or so when really it won't make a difference if it was 3db difference? I can only think the reason why they do this is since if everything else on the monitors are high end parts they just added that feature to make it look impressive.

Joe_Carr
12-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Eather way I think most audiophiles judge by how good it sounds to them and not how flat they are. Since it seems like some people like speakers that are not even flat at all and think they sound soo good. Yes that maybe true but it's not really playing how your music was recorded. That's why I think they made speakers that are called monitors that plays how your music was done. Also you need these type of speakers in a recording studio. I remember that my dad even said monitors might not impress you as much as home stereo systems but that's how your music is suppose to sound and was recorded.

Updated:

I did talk to some people and they did say that according to the graph that is on my speakers they say that it's really flat but the most problem I will have is that since my room is in a normal bedroom it won't sound like it's suppose to. So that means maybe since my room is not treated it would sound not as flat just because of the room.

MikeyBC
12-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Oh god no !! :mad:

E-Stat
12-29-2010, 07:13 PM
I know that my current speakers is from 65hz to 23kHz +/- 3db but if my speakers were +/- 2db or even +/- 1db would you hear a difference?
Your room has a far greater influence on the sound than what you find in an anechoic chamber. Everything else in the reproduction chain also makes a difference.

That's why I think they made speakers that are called monitors that plays how your music was done.

Believe it or not, there is actually musical content below 65 hz.

rw

tube fan
12-29-2010, 10:19 PM
I would focus more on other factors than frequency response. For one thing 65 hz is not nearly low enough for me. IMO, you must get into the 30 hz range to get something like lifelike sound. I also need to be able to play at high (realistic, live) levels. Of course, the system must get tone right. I usually include vocals, both male and female, when evaluating a system.

Joe_Carr
12-31-2010, 08:09 AM
Well Samson did also say that the speakers can go low as 54hz but it's -10db. But I would assume that anything lower than 54hz it will be even more lower db like maybe at 48hz it's -15db. I don't know though. But eather way pretty much around 65hz and up if you want to hear the music flat. But basicly do you call this usable frequency response when the specs say that it's 54hz at -10db? Since at 54hz it's not really at the flat range and anything lower than 54hz will be played but you have to turn up the volume or bass up to hear it play around 54hz or lower.

Mash
01-01-2011, 07:34 PM
check out the Mackie HR824 Mk2. These are feedback-controlled self-powered recording studio monitors, and not cheap at maybe $600 - $650 each. But they will go down to 37Hz, and with impact. Smoother is better.

The HR824 are not found at audio dealers. Think Music123, zZounds, Musician's Friend.