Guess what Swishbaby got for Xmas? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Guess what Swishbaby got for Xmas?

Swish
12-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Yes, a brand new Sony PS3 that will be the Blu-Ray player for my new HT room. Now I just need to wire the room, build the new screen, buy a projector, paint the room, and set up the equipment. I should have it ready to go in about 5 or 6....months (sigh). I'm getting too old for this crap.

3LB
12-26-2010, 08:18 PM
dude, that just smacks of effort

poppachubby
12-27-2010, 05:57 AM
Congrats Swish. Are you a gamer also? Did you have a BDP before this?

Man the difference is incredible. I just bought a Sharp Aquos not too long ago. I don't have an HD set, but using component outputs, I am able to get 480i. Seems funny but in all honesty it looks great. I didn't know my TV could look so good, I have a Sony Vega.

A screen and a projector huh? Must be quite a large room.

Swish
12-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Congrats Swish. Are you a gamer also? Did you have a BDP before this?

Man the difference is incredible. I just bought a Sharp Aquos not too long ago. I don't have an HD set, but using component outputs, I am able to get 480i. Seems funny but in all honesty it looks great. I didn't know my TV could look so good, I have a Sony Vega.

A screen and a projector huh? Must be quite a large room.

I had a nice 'little' HT room in our last home but sold that home and bought another last January. The room is about 22' deep and about 18'6" wide, so it's much larger than my old one. It's a finished area but with drop ceiling, so running my speaker wires and other A/V connectors won't be a problem. The whole basement area is much deeper than 22', but I'm having a divider wall with pocket doors installed to form the back of the HT room.

I expect to have a 110" screen with a projector throw of about 16', although I can't recall the exact dimensions. I got all the info from projectorcentral.com, as referred to me by GMichael. It has a wealth of information. The screen should be cheap to build using Wilson Art Designer White laminate as recommended by kexodusc. He figures about $200 as opposed to using an actual screen, and it's almost indestructible.

I'll be installing a 7.1 system, like I had before, with my Rotel RSP1098 as the processor, Adcom 5 channel and 2 channel amps (I use the two for the fronts), the PS3, and all Paradigm speakers. My only 'new' audio gear besides the PS3 will be the front speakers, which are Studio 100s, although I did send the Rotel in for the HDMI upgrade. I was using the little Paradigm LCRs for everything except the sides (di-poles) but the stereo play-back was really lousy, hence the Studios. What a difference!

ForeverAutumn
12-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Nice score Swishy. You did a good job fooling Santa into thinking that you've been a good boy. That Santa is so gullible. :)

Seriously...nice gift. I've been regretting not getting a PS3 when I bought my BR player last year. I like our Sony but, now that Netflix is in Canada, I want to stream stuff and I can't do it with the Sony. I keep hoping that they'll download an upgrade that will allow it, but so far nothing.

I got a pretty good Boxing Day deal on an HD laptop so that'll take care of the problem, but the PS3 would still have made it easier.