Netflix question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Netflix question

ForeverAutumn
12-24-2010, 06:13 AM
These may sound like dumb questions...but I've never let that stop me before. :D

We just recently got Netflix here in Canada. I don't have a compatible component that I can stream video to my TV on. But, Hubby and I are shopping for a laptop. If we buy a laptop with an HDMI outlet, can we hook that up to our TV and use the computer to stream Netflix on?

Hyfi
12-24-2010, 06:44 AM
Yes, or you can use the vga out if the tv has vga in.

pixelthis
12-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Also you can use your current computer(if you have one.)
I park mine next to my system, use a wireless keyboard and mouse, and a video card with HDMI. Works great.:1:

kexodusc
12-24-2010, 06:56 PM
FA...you can use your XBOX or PS3 to acces Netflix(don't you have one of those?) If not, yeah, the laptop will work.

We subscribe to Netflix Canada...selection still sucks, but we watch enough older titles to get our money's worth.

ForeverAutumn
12-24-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm going to look into using the XBox, but it's on a different floor than our modem, so I'd have to buy a wireless thingy for it. Plus, don't you have to pay for XBox live to use Netflix? I have a problem paying an additional fee for the priviledge of using my XBox on the internet.

kexodusc
12-25-2010, 07:16 AM
I'm going to look into using the XBox, but it's on a different floor than our modem, so I'd have to buy a wireless thingy for it. Plus, don't you have to pay for XBox live to use Netflix? I have a problem paying an additional fee for the priviledge of using my XBox on the internet.
No, pretty sure you don't have to pay extra, don't think Netflix is part of Xbox live, but rather it's own thing (I could be wrong, so maybe someone here can verify). You're right though, you'd need to either have a wireless thingy or have a cable in the wall you could plug into.

evilspoons
12-28-2010, 12:53 PM
The Nintendo Wii also has Netflix support - I'm not sure if it supports Netflix Canada or not, but I'd take a look into that. The Boxee Box would be fantastic as well, I think Netflix support is coming soon.

The Xbox 360 wireless adapter is a total ripoff, run an ethernet cable or buy one used.

ForeverAutumn
12-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. We needed a new computer so we bought a new laptop with an HDMI connection so that I can use the laptop to stream to the TV. It was something we needed to buy anyway, so there was no extra expense. I'm expecting it to be delivered on Thursday. :)

Brett A
12-28-2010, 05:37 PM
I'll put in a plug for getting a Roku. It can connect to the interweb either wireless or via an Ethernet cable and you don't need to turn on any other equipment (computer or video game console) to watch Netflix content including accessing your cue or searching for new titles. Plus, you'll have a remote. I'm pretty sure you can still get them well under $100.

The Roku will also stream Pandora as well as a long list of other web-based content, most of it free.