Subwoofer volume [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer volume

cyto
12-23-2010, 03:27 PM
I was wondering (and this may be a stupid question) but at what level should the volume control on the subwoofer be set when using Audyssey to set up the system? I had my Emotiva 10's @ 9:00 when I did it. It sounds fine but I was just wondering.

And Merry Christmas to all!!

David

Mr Peabody
12-23-2010, 04:51 PM
I'd say 9 o'clock is about right. I like keeping the volume control on the sub low in order to leave the internal amp of the sub plenty of headroom. I feel it's better to have the gain from the receiver to be a bit high if necessary, with in reason, getting close to max then it might warrant a bit more volume at the sub.

recoveryone
12-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Ditto Peabody, I keep mine around 10:00

GregLee
12-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Follow the above recommendations for a first approximation, then to fine tune: (1) play some suitable program material that has good bass that you like -- I use jazz with a walking bass, (2) adjust the volume knob on the sub with one hand and the other hand on the front grill to sense the vibrations, listening, (3) when it sounds best and feels nice, go sit in your primary listening position and listen some more, and cycle back to (2), refining as necessary. If I hear any boominess from the sub, I also try turning down the sub's crossover control, to fix that.

Mr Peabody
12-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Greg, welcome to the forums. The OP (original poster) has a receiver with Audyssey auto set up feature. This sends a test tone through the sub which is picked up by a microphone, the signal from the mic goes back into the receiver where it makes adjustments for best sound for the sub in a particular room. Although user reviews vary on Audyssey it has to be better than trying to set it up by ear with trial and error. Setting the sub's volume at 9 o'clock is a fixed reference where the actual gain is adjusted inside the receiver, the Audyssey does it or it can be done manually in the set up menu.

GregLee
12-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Greg, welcome to the forums. The OP (original poster) has a receiver with Audyssey auto set up feature. This sends a test tone through the sub which is picked up by a microphone, the signal from the mic goes back into the receiver where it makes adjustments for best sound for the sub in a particular room. Although user reviews vary on Audyssey it has to be better than trying to set it up by ear with trial and error.
Thank you.

Evidently I was not very clear. I have no experience with Audyssey, but I have used MCACC with a Pioneer receiver, and I think auto-calibration is great stuff. I was not suggesting that anyone substitute trial-and-error for auto-calibration. I was, rather, suggesting that after using auto-calibration, that you refine the results you get that way by fine-tuning your sub settings in the way I described. But maybe the further adjustments I described do not produce any improvement -- no problem. Take note of the sub settings before you fiddle with them, and if the experiment turns out unsuccessful, just restore the previous settings.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Thank you.

Evidently I was not very clear. I have no experience with Audyssey, but I have used MCACC with a Pioneer receiver, and I think auto-calibration is great stuff. I was not suggesting that anyone substitute trial-and-error for auto-calibration. I was, rather, suggesting that after using auto-calibration, that you refine the results you get that way by fine-tuning your sub settings in the way I described. But maybe the further adjustments I described do not produce any improvement -- no problem. Take note of the sub settings before you fiddle with them, and if the experiment turns out unsuccessful, just restore the previous settings.

Greg, this is an excellent suggestion considering the inaccuracy of Audyssey's balance settings. The receiver processing of Audyssey is notoriously underpowered compared to the XT and XT32 multiEQ stand alone processors, so it is wise to double check the balance settings it chooses to verify accuracy of the processing. My experience with both has shown me this time and time again.

Audyssey's EQ function is pretty accurate on both platforms, with the standalone's being particularly on the mark with this function as well.