I would like to thank the men of Audio Review. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I would like to thank the men of Audio Review.

ForeverAutumn
12-23-2010, 01:13 PM
In another forum, on another site, one of the male members made a comment that I found offensive to women and I told him so. I was met with complete disregard and insensitivity. I was told that unless the comment was directed to me specifically, I should take no offense and some women enjoy being treated as sex objects (one of the women in question was Kim Kardashian, and there were a few others who use their looks to make a living). His message was basically that those women deserved to be disrespected...that they ask for it.

I was also met with a post by another member containing several sexy picture of these women. Again with complete disregard for my comment about how the female members of the site may not appreciate the suggestive comments made on a music site.

Those men are insensitive boors and I'm willing to bet, single. I dropped out of the thread...which originated as a discussion about drummers!

As the only regularly contributing female on AR, I would like to thank you all for never making me feel as insignificant and disrespected as these people (I hesitate to call them men) made me feel. Even though some of you like to have your fun and post a few "girlie" pics here and there. You have never used improper language or been as rude as these guys. I have never been made to feel uncomfortable here.

It has made me appreciate the collection of people here even more. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Love to you all! :D

Robert-The-Rambler
12-23-2010, 01:23 PM
In another forum, on another site, one of the male members made a comment that I found offensive to women and I told him so. I was met with complete disregard and insensitivity. I was told that unless the comment was directed to me specifically, I should take no offense and some women enjoy being treated as sex objects (one of the women in question was Kim Kardashian, and there were a few others who use their looks to make a living). His message was basically that those women deserved to be disrespected...that they ask for it.

I was also met with a post by another member containing several sexy picture of these women. Again with complete disregard for my comment about how the female members of the site may not appreciate the suggestive comments made on a music site.

Those men are insensitive boors and I'm willing to bet, single. I dropped out of the thread...which originated as a discussion about drummers!

As the only regularly contributing female on AR, I would like to thank you all for never making me feel as insignificant and disrespected as these people (I hesitate to call them men) made me feel. Even though some of you like to have your fun and post a few "girlie" pics here and there. You have never used improper language or been as rude as these guys. I have never been made to feel uncomfortable here.

It has made me appreciate the collection of people here even more. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Love to you all! :D

There is a strong woman......

or her shoe.....

poppachubby
12-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Hey I am always glad to oblige a broad, ...you know what I'm sayin!!! But not if she's ugly. Oh Eh!!!

http://thefairiesonhi5.com/graphic/images/cat/Sexy/2Sexy_Woman-6.gif

JohnMichael
12-23-2010, 02:51 PM
FA I can relate because I too hate to be objectified by men.

kexodusc
12-23-2010, 03:14 PM
On behalf of all the men of AR.com, you're welcome! :lol:

Oh...want us to go beat them up?

Poultrygeist
12-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Chivalry still exists but it's below the Mason-Dixson.

ForeverAutumn
12-23-2010, 04:11 PM

And I'm sure that you have to fight them off far more often than I do. :)

Oh, what am I thinking...you're probably not fighting very hard. :wink5:

ForeverAutumn
12-23-2010, 04:17 PM
On behalf of all the men of AR.com, you're welcome! :lol:

Oh...want us to go beat them up?

Our Director of Sales used a great line today that reminded me of these guys. He was complaining about one of our Customer Service Reps and he said, "Poor Jenny, every morning she wakes up and she's still stupid".

I think that just being themselves is probably punishment enough. But thanks for the offer. :D

dean_martin
12-23-2010, 06:11 PM
It's our pleasure and you're quite the lady.

Worf101
12-24-2010, 05:40 AM
You're quite welcome. I'm glad you feel appreciated, respected and loved here. You're a valued asset to our community. That being said, as Cartman would say:

"Good now woman go in there and bake me some pie!!!!"

LOL

Worf

Luvin Da Blues
12-24-2010, 06:13 AM
Our Director of Sales used a great line today that reminded me of these guys. He was complaining about one of our Customer Service Reps and he said, "Poor Jenny, every morning she wakes up and she's still stupid".

And every morning he will still be a A-hole.

GMichael
12-24-2010, 08:15 AM
You are welcome, although I am probably the worst poster here as far as that goes. It's all just in fun though. Making people laugh makes me happy. Just remind me of where the line is and I'll do my best to tip-toe on the correct side of it. Some guys (way too many of them) are not so nice.
Hey JM,
Same goes for you. Hope I haven't come on too strong over the years. It's just that you're so darn cute!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-24-2010, 10:24 AM
FA, as the reigning Queen(notice the capital Q) of AR you will always be respected. Some guys are just uncultured buttwipes when it comes to women, and have the finesse of a rhino playing tennis. Those you just have to ignore, and chalk it up to immaturity.

I have always appreciated your comments and assessments when I have posted issues in my life here. For that alone, you have earned my respect and admiration.

12-24-2010, 10:28 AM

Wow JM, my gay friends loved to be objectified by men. Come to think of it, those crazy dudes think that being man handled is a great date! LOLOLOL..they are funny crazy.

JohnMichael
12-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Wow JA, my gay friends loved to be objectified by men. Come to think of it, those crazy dudes think that being man handled is a great date! LOLOLOL..they are funny crazy.

I might like it if it was still happening. :mad:

basite
12-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Not that I post here as frequently as I used too, but I respect you as a strong woman, amongst all this men around here :)

So, congrats, and hooray for FA :)

Regards,
Bert.

JohnMichael
12-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Not that I post here as frequently as I used too, but I respect you as a strong woman, amongst all this men around here :)

So, congrats, and hooray for FA :)

Regards,
Bert.

Yes she is awesome.

12-24-2010, 11:15 AM
I might like it if it was still happening. :mad:

Ohhhhhh! I think you need to relocate to the bay area. There is something and somebody for everybody here, and I really mean that! LOLOLOL

ForeverAutumn
12-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Thank you all. I didn't start this thread looking for compliments. Just the opposite. I was complimenting you for being such gentlemen. I really do love this place and the people here.

ForeverAutumn
12-24-2010, 01:05 PM
And every morning he will still be a A-hole.

I don't disagree with you there. He can be an insensitive boor himself. But I have to admit that the statement did make me laugh. I think it was because the statement started with "Poor Jenny" and I thought he was going to have a rare moment of sympathy. But then it totally didn't end the way I thought it was going to.

bobsticks
12-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Chivalry still exists but it's below the Mason-Dixson.

Hold on there Colonel Sanders :)...as the resident Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court I must protest. Some of us were raised right...okay maybe all the lessons didn't take...

Autumn, I think we teach people how to treat us and through your strength and poise most of us have gleened a thing or two about reasonable boundaries. Moreover, on this forum most have enough etiquette to not stray too far of the reservation. Our inappropriate posts are all organized for your your convenience ;)

ForeverAutumn
12-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Autumn, I think we teach people how to treat us and through your strength and poise most of us have gleened a thing or two about reasonable boundaries. Moreover, on this forum most have enough etiquette to not stray too far of the reservation. Our inappropriate posts are all organized for your your convenience ;)

I think the difference is that you folks are respectful enough care about those boundaries.

budgetaudio76
12-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Great Thread FA. I think it unusual that a woman be a continual poster in a audio forum. But ive enjoyed your threads.
Kinda begs the question.
What brought you into audio?

3LB
12-29-2010, 06:37 AM
I'm actually familiar with the thread over at PE. Funny, one of those mods, (let's call her Amy) will swoop down on a member she doesn't care for, (let's call him Troy) for making a snarky or sarcastic comment, but somehow there are a couple of members that turn threads into a bordello or a religulous flame war and nothing is ever done about it. Oh she might chime in someone complains, but as heavy handed as she is on certain posters, she overlooks a lot. But then again, there are quite a few females who post on that site who never complain and even participate in the lechery, maybe because they're man-hungry spinsters who'll fly 5000 miles to attend a music festival, who knows.

ForeverAutumn
12-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Great Thread FA. I think it unusual that a woman be a continual poster in a audio forum. But ive enjoyed your threads.
Kinda begs the question.
What brought you into audio?

Thanks BA. Music has always been a huge part of my life. I got into the audio side of things as a result of wanting to hear my music sound the best that it can (based on my budget).

ForeverAutumn
12-29-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm actually familiar with the thread over at PE. Funny, one of those mods, (let's call her Amy) will swoop down on a member she doesn't care for, (let's call him Troy) for making a snarky or sarcastic comment, but somehow there are a couple of members that turn threads into a bordello or a religulous flame war and nothing is ever done about it. Oh she might chime in someone complains, but as heavy handed as she is on certain posters, she overlooks a lot. But then again, there are quite a few females who post on that site who never complain and even participate in the lechery, maybe because they're man-hungry spinsters who'll fly 5000 miles to attend a music festival, who knows.

LOL! I couldn't agree more. The participating female certainly made it difficult for me to make my point. It was nice to see some of the other women (and a few men) chime in and support me, although I would have been much happier to see the mod that we're calling Amy show some muscle and delete the offending post.

GMichael
12-30-2010, 07:37 AM
I guess it would me wrong of me to post a girly pic in this thread?

Joke FA. Just a joke.

Please don't hate me for being imature.

ForeverAutumn
12-30-2010, 07:49 AM
I guess it would me wrong of me to post a girly pic in this thread?

Joke FA. Just a joke.

Please don't hate me for being imature.

Too late GM. the Chubster beat you to it in post #3.

GMichael
12-30-2010, 08:02 AM
Too late GM. the Chubster beat you to it in post #3.
And don't think for one second that I didn't stop on post 3 to stare for a minute.

Thanks Chubby.

Feanor
12-30-2010, 09:10 AM
FA, this is my first response in this thread. For my part I don't feel I need to be thanked; I was reared to be a gentleman, (or try to be one), and to have ample respect for women.

My mother was a single parent from the time my father died when I was 12 years of age. She had had no personal desire for career but had and met the need to earn a living after she was widowed. She was a person who valued friendships and had many friends, most of them working women like herself. Consequently I came to see it as normal for women to have jobs and careers.

Furthermore I have worked all my career in organization where women -- at least in more recent decades -- were given equal opportunity with men, and accordingly had similar achievements. I've had several women bosses, some better than others of course, but the very best boss I ever had was a women, (and I might add, younger than myself).

Though I have the "normal" male attraction to women it is completely contrary to my nature and upbringing to be exploitive or abuse towards them ... and I don't feel there is any valid excuse for being otherwise.

Hyfi
12-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Hard to believe they have let the Kattie Perry thread go on over there too.

bobsticks
12-30-2010, 12:02 PM

Well, California girls are, after all, undeniable...

That's what Snoop told me anyway.

ForeverAutumn
12-30-2010, 12:54 PM

Yeah. I'm kind of pissed about that. Especially since Duncan was the first person to post in that thread. I don't know why, but I expected more from him.

Well, if I can't fight them, I might as well poke them with a big stick. I just started my own thread...let's see where it goes. :lol:

Geoffcin
12-30-2010, 04:42 PM

There's only one forum that doesn't get patrolled, and that's RR. Back when Adam took over I petitioned him to cut RR slack with OT topics. RR has always been it's own world, and my though was that to make it conform to topic exclusive threads would kill it. Hence it doesn't get the scrutiny that the other forums do. However, if there's a problem with a post or thread please feel free to complain! I see me job as a moderator to help make this forum as friendly as possible, and a thread that contains off color comments that people find offensive is one of the things I am here to address.

FA; as an "AR man", thanks for the compliment! I am in agreement with Fenor though. To treat women with respect is something that I don't feel a real man would deserve a compliment for. It should be second nature to anyone who was brought up correctly.

Hyfi
12-31-2010, 04:31 AM
Well, if I can't fight them, I might as well poke them with a big stick. I just started my own thread...let's see where it goes. :lol:

Well I can see that unfortunately it didn't go over too well. I gave up on that place a while ago other than to find out what bans are playing where.

People say this place is a clique, they should try it over there.

It is odd what seems to be going on after the complaint thread about "going private" due to being off topic. From what I gathered reading thru that thread, the main board is supposed to be Prog Only, while the Off Topic Board is supposed to be Music other than Prog, but not truly Off Topic.

The moment someone says God or Politician or Religion, the thread goes Off Topic but T&A threads that have nothing to do with music run on until the bozos get tired.

I also think it was also pretty stupid for someone to post the exact thing you complained about as the second response to this thread, joking or otherwise. Maybe he belongs over there.

I have been guilty of posting what some feel as inappropriate for mixed company here, called out for it by FA, and will be more sensitive in the future.

On the flip side, it sure would be interesting for a few guys to join in on some 99% female posting board and see if we don't feel like pieces of meat. I'll bet it's not much different but hey, this place is supposed to be about music, gear, and general in the news off topic.

The rules for posting are pretty clear, if you can actually find them here. The last time I looked it took me close to 15 minutes of pecking around to actually find them.

FA, over the years I have known you, you have made this place better as well as keep us buffoons on our toes.

Cheers and Happy New Years!

ForeverAutumn
12-31-2010, 06:16 AM
For the record...

I don't complain about much, here or on other forums. But I have always found the mods here to be responsive to my odd complaint and to do everything they can to help me feel "safe" here. (I.e. banning a certain troll who used to try to get on from different IP addresses...on several occasions.)

I don't find the girly pics offensive and didn't see Poppa's post as anything other than the good-hearted fun that it was meant to be. It wasn't the pictures that offended me at PE, it was the language and the attitude that accompanied it. Perhaps I shouldn't hold the whole site responsible for the actions of a few. But when the site continues to condone the behaviour, there's a problem. That language and behaviour would not be tolerated here. Perhaps that's the difference between a privately funded site and a site funded by advertisers. The private site can really do whatever they want.

Which gives me an idea. I am a financial supporter of PE. When they come back to me for my 2011 contribution, I think I'll explain to Sean why I won't be contributing in 2011. What better way to get my point across than to speak with my wallet. Although it still won't make any difference, I'm sure.

ForeverAutumn
12-31-2010, 06:32 AM
FA, over the years I have known you, you have made this place better as well as keep us buffoons on our toes.

Cheers and Happy New Years!

Thanks Hyfi. I appreciate that comment.

I just read the thread I posted at PE. It went pretty much exactly where I thought it would go. That's fine. At least some people are supporting me and the topic of what's offensive is being discussed by some. It's a start.

Thanks for your support. Your comments were great...especially your response to Andun about the Grip. That was hilarious!

Hyfi
12-31-2010, 06:41 AM
Thanks for your support. Your comments were great...especially your response to Andun about the Grip. That was hilarious!

I had a lot more to say for some of the others but merely pointing out the posting rules got some attention. Believe me, I am really holding back.

Always available to back up a friend and stand up for what is right. You're plenty welcome!

poppachubby
12-31-2010, 07:00 AM
That's what Snoop told me anyway.

Snoop likes women from all over the globe...

"them ho's in Japan they didn't undastand,
'bought a *igga like me and the LBC,
Snoopy D is on a rollin spree,
and all #itches 'round tha world gots love fo me"