Using new preamp for vintage receiver? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Using new preamp for vintage receiver?

BIGPERM
12-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Whats wrong with my current phono pre stage in my Sansui G8700DB? Not much really, except for some hissing on s's and the mids-highs sounding a bit recessed. It functions fine but always looking for something better, I guess. Looking for more natural sound.

I have been considering the Jolida jd9 pre-amp. Its a modest price tube pre-amp for $450, but gets great (mostly) reviews. Has settings for different carts. Thought it would be fun to experiment with.

Anyone else not entirely pleased with the built in phono pre stage in the vintage receiver and try newer pre-amps?

poppachubby
12-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Frankly, anyone who is seriously in love with vinyl, but limited to a receiver has given this topic some thought. Of course, there are some fantastic phono stages built into the older receivers. There are however, alot of crappy ones as well. On top of that, time has eroded the good ones and many require upgrading.

I think anything that sold for less than a thousand back in the day, should be carefully considered for upgrading of internal parts. RIAA accuracy, channel balance are 2 important specs to consider.

The very nature of a reciever's design is compromise, couple that with age and a new external pre starts looking good.

The JD9 is indeed a great place to start, and possibly finish. That type of unit could very well satisfy you for years and years to come. I would also suggest a Bottlehead Seduction (http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/Seduction/seduction.htm). They actually sell for less than the Jolida, but you must assemble it. 0.03%+/- accuracy!!??!!! Sold!!

Are tubes a requirement? For sub-$500 you should most certainly be considering the Clearaudio Nano (http://www.clearaudio.de/eng/pv_nanophono.html). The list of specs says it all, including user loaded impedance.

There's a ton of stages out there. You must get out and audition because personal preference is one of the biggest deal breakers.

I will leave you with one last rec. take it from a guy who has owned/auditioned a ton of sub $500 stages. The Creek OBH-18 (http://www.creekaudio.com/products/obh18.php)is a real gem and competes WELL beyond $500. No, it doesn't have the marketing appeal of other brands, it doesn't have alot of bonus features and no, it doesn't have a flashy build. What it DOES have is great all around performance. Just a fantastic presentation. This is the external I finally settled on. Admittedly, I would love the Nano for it's loading features and if you have to choose, the Nano is probably a better choice. BUT!!! Don't discount the Creek, it's sonic strengths could very well be enough to push aside the Nano's features.

Wow, after a quick peak, Audio Advisor are selling the OBH-18 for only $250 (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CKOBH18)!!! This unit sold for $375 at one time, and still sells for $325 at Needle Doctor. A value of unspeakable size.

BIGPERM
12-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the advice. I agree with your assessment. The factory pre stage may not be the be all-end all. I love the look and feel of vintage receivers, but they do have to make compromises.

I looked at both the jolida and the creek obh18. Have not heard of the clearaudio nano.

Happened to find the Pro-ject Tube Box SE II. Looks like a great piece. Its predecessor has had all good reviews. Went ahead and purchased the SE II from needle doctor for $750. Able to match my cart to this one as well. I will check it out. Needle doc has the 30 day return thing. Will audition it in a few days.

Mr Peabody
12-21-2010, 07:24 PM
See you have made a choice, I was going to 2nd the Creek. I had an older OBH-8 and it was a true giant killer. The Bellari tends to get a lot of good recs but I haven't had experience with it. Let us know how your choice works out.

poppachubby
12-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the advice. I agree with your assessment. The factory pre stage may not be the be all-end all. I love the look and feel of vintage receivers, but they do have to make compromises.

I looked at both the jolida and the creek obh18. Have not heard of the clearaudio nano.

Happened to find the Pro-ject Tube Box SE II. Looks like a great piece. Its predecessor has had all good reviews. Went ahead and purchased the SE II from needle doctor for $750. Able to match my cart to this one as well. I will check it out. Needle doc has the 30 day return thing. Will audition it in a few days.

Wow. OK then. Great stuff! It seems that tube are indeed a requirement for you. My local dealer sells Pro-Ject, and pushes them hard. They are his biggest brand i would say. He has every item in their line-up in stock, so I have heard all of their phono stages. Some of them make for a pretty short summary, but you have walked into something special.

I had a listen to the standard unit when it first arrived. Excellent stage with an incredibly accurate and revealing curve. Infact, I don't know what kind of table you are planning to run with it, but it can almost be TOO revealing. Junk in, junk out for this baby.

Before making any final assessments i would suggest upgrading the stock tubes, the difference will be shocking. Here's a fantastic 12AX7 (http://grantfidelity.com/site/Pavane_Psvane_Reference_12ax7T_Shuguang_tube)which I have in my HF85 right now. Competes with any NOS tube you could pick, but will certainly slay the lame ducks that come with the Tube Box.

BIGPERM
12-23-2010, 04:51 PM
Man, you guys (poppa and peabody) are supportive! Thanks.

Okay. Guess what? Tube box came in the mail today. Was about to give up and return it until I figured out I had the jumper switches wrong. Had them at 100ohms instead of 100Pf on each channel. Sounded like someone was smothering my speakers at 100 ohms. :nono:

Switched to the correct settings and have been blown away! Many things I noticed right off the bat:

1) I used to turn my volume to 30 for good listening volume, never higher than 40. With this unit plugged into my tape/aux, the volume is set at 10 for good listening. Strange. I wasnt expecting the step up in volume. Perhaps the gain settings of the box. Anyway, not a problem at all.

2) Clear and revealing is correct! Where my mids and highs were somehwhat recessed before, they are spot on now. The Sansui has a high-pass filter that I could never use because if I did use it, I would have to turn my treble all the way up and still not get the treble correct. With this unit I run the high pass and have my treble at +2 and its perfect.

I use an older (not fashionable) Technics SLD3. For home use, not DJ. But it has great tone arm and I love the queing (sp?) mechanism. Paired with an ortofon 2m bronze.

3) Have played two album thus far, Julian Lennon, Vallotte and Police, Regatta de Blanc. I like what I hear. Everythings seems to be in its place.

As I get further into the vinyl and break this puppy in, there will be more to follow