WTF is with these doctors? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : WTF is with these doctors?

GMichael
12-20-2010, 07:11 AM
As most of you know, my dad had kidney cancer in 2007. He had the kidney removed that spring. After that he went for testing every month. Each month he would be given a clean bill of health. Then, after falling down and getting hurt, they ran more tests this last September. He was told that it had spread to several other places in his body and it was in stage 4. This was about a week after being told that he was fine with no sign of cancer. So then he gets chemo for a few months. It makes him sick as h.ll but he keeps it up. 2 weeks ago they told him that the cancer was shrinking and that he was doing much better. Last Sunday morning at 4 AM he had a seizure. After several tests they found out that the cancer had spread to his brain now. WTF? Is this the first time cancer has ever spread in someone? Didn’t these doctors think to test other areas of him?

Hyfi
12-20-2010, 07:20 AM
Gotta ask, are these VA doctors?

My dad died from Stage 4 Colin Cancer and had to have had it/known about it for several years. I can remember poking his hard distended belly several years and saying something is not right.

He was afraid of doctors and hospitals, never spending a day in one and born at home.

My gut felling is that the VA may have just ignored it all since they would have had to pay for it.

GMichael
12-20-2010, 07:28 AM
He actually goes to a very nice hospital in central Florida. It makes the ones in my area look like homeless shelters.

JohnMichael
12-20-2010, 07:40 AM
He actually goes to a very nice hospital in central Florida. It makes the ones in my area look like homeless shelters.

Nice buildings do not mean quality care. Florida has a great need for doctors for the aging population. Some doctors are good and some are not. Did your father ever have a PET scan.

GMichael
12-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Nice buildings do not mean quality care. Florida has a great need for doctors for the aging population. Some doctors are good and some are not. Did your father ever have a PET scan.
Not being in the care business, I'm not qualified to tell which doctors are better. They sure seemed to have plenty of money though.
I don't know what scans he had. I do know that he has a lot of tests done every month.

atomicAdam
12-20-2010, 09:56 AM
GM - I'm very sorry for you.

It really seems that someone needs to start a patient representative service. Hospitals and insurance companies are in the biz to make money - not save lives. Doctors are a bit of both. Recently my grandfather passed due to cancer - my month is a nurse practitioner with a PhD in specializing in elderly care. The hardest part for her wasn't dealing with hospitals, or asking the right questions and making sure the right things were done, but living a good distance away and having estranged and arrogant family who was closer and didn't listen to her or take her advice.

ForeverAutumn
12-20-2010, 10:16 AM
GM, so sorry to hear about your dad. I really can't comment on the care issue, but I wish him the best.

GMichael
12-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks AA and FA,

I spoke to him this morning. He is feeling better. They are planning on going in and cutting it out tomorrow. If everything goes well he may even be home for X-mas.
It sucks to be so far away. We just spent a week down there in November and can't afford to go again.

dakatabg
12-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Gmichael, I hope everything goes good and he gets home for xmas.

I work at the hospital and most of the time the doctors care if the patient insurance gets through and they get the money!

Feanor
12-20-2010, 01:06 PM
As most of you know, my dad had kidney cancer in 2007. He had the kidney removed that spring. After that he went for testing every month. Each month he would be given a clean bill of health. Then, after falling down and getting hurt, they ran more tests this last September. He was told that it had spread to several other places in his body and it was in stage 4. This was about a week after being told that he was fine with no sign of cancer. So then he gets chemo for a few months. It makes him sick as h.ll but he keeps it up. 2 weeks ago they told him that the cancer was shrinking and that he was doing much better. Last Sunday morning at 4 AM he had a seizure. After several tests they found out that the cancer had spread to his brain now. WTF? Is this the first time cancer has ever spread in someone? Didn’t these doctors think to test other areas of him?
I wish your dad the best, and I wish for you the strength to deal with whatever happens.

His situation is seeming outrageous but probably typical enough. I'd guess it has a lot to do with the state of oncology but maybe also has something do with the thoroughness that the health system can deliver.

When my late brother-in-was diagnosed with colon cancer the doctor said nothing could be done. The family rejected this diagnosis and got an additional opinion; more was done but to no effect. He was dead in about 8 weeks. But we note that he had suffered with colitis for years; one wonders what might have happened if that condition had been monitored more carefully. He was 40 and died leaving four young children.

kexodusc
12-21-2010, 04:16 AM
Really sorry to hear about your dad GM. His story sounds similar to my grandfather's. We thought we were in the clear after they removed his kidneys and he was on dialysis, but found out later it had spread. I guess it's not that uncommon.

Man, I hate that disease.

GMichael
12-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks everyone.

He went under the knife at 8AM this morning. We are still waiting to hear how it went. This distance is killing us.

ForeverAutumn
12-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Keep us posted. We care.

GMichael
12-21-2010, 10:11 AM
He is out of surgery and resting now. The doctors said that they got the major lump but there are several smaller “satellite” lumps that they couldn’t get to without causing more harm than good. After they test the lump that was removed, they will decide on a treatment. Most likely it will be some type of radiation.
Hopefully I will get to talk to him tonight. It always cheers him up to hear little Sera say, “Hi Poppa.”

ForeverAutumn
12-21-2010, 12:31 PM
It always cheers him up to hear little Sera say, “Hi Poppa.”

Well, of course it does. Who wouldn't be cheered by that little doll.

I'm glad to hear that your Dad is out of surgery, sometimes that's the scariest part...especially at older ages. I hope that his treatment and recovery are swift and as painless as possible. All the best to you and your Dad, Mike.

bobsticks
12-21-2010, 02:52 PM
GM, I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations...though hardly surprised. My observations time and time again that the medical profession seems to be like tossing hand grenades, hardly a precision craft very often.

Otoh, congratulations on what appears to be at least a step forward in the process. Best wishes to Pops for a speedy and full recovery.

GMichael
12-22-2010, 06:40 AM
Well, Dad is awake and grumpy as h.ll. I had forgotten what a rotten patient he is. We called him last night. While we were on the phone with him a nurse walked into his room. He started yelling at her big time. He was sick of this crappy food they serve. He yelled at one girl to get him a corn muffin. When she brought it to him, he took one bite and threw it at her. He forgot that we were even on the phone with him. We could hear him yelling at everyone and trying to get up and walk out. Eventually, we just hung up.

He was the same way in 2007 when he had his kidney out.

ForeverAutumn
12-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Well, it sure sounds like he's not letting this surgery keep him down! It sounds like your dad still has a lot of fight in him. That strength will help in his recovery, I'm sure.

kexodusc
12-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Gotta respect a man who likes a good corn muffin. Sounds like he's firmly in control of things. Hope he's outta there and back home asap.

dean_martin
12-22-2010, 06:16 PM
GM, I wish your dad a speedy recovery. Cancer needs to be eradicated if not in our lifetime then at least in our children's lifetime. If we declared "war" on it, then we'd be able to throw enough money at it to make some progress. It makes more sense than some of the "wars" we've waged.

GMichael
12-23-2010, 06:17 AM
Dad has suffered a small setback. Last night he decided that he no longer needed to be in the hospital. He pulled out all his tubes and cables, then stood up and fell down. It took 3 people to help him up and back into bed. He left a huge puddle of blood on the floor. He was scheduled to go home Friday, but now it looks like he’ll be there for Christmas.

ForeverAutumn
01-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Hey Mike,
How's your Dad doing?