Fave Christmas/Holiday gift... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fave Christmas/Holiday gift...

Worf101
12-20-2010, 06:12 AM
Ah'm feelin' a bit, nostalgic... so I'm thinking back on my childhood Christmas'. As I was flipping through my memories I started thinking of the best gifts I ever got as a kid. I'll tell you mine in a bit but right now I'm askin'

What was the BESTEST Christmas/Holiday gift you ever got?

Worf

ForeverAutumn
12-20-2010, 06:50 AM
As a kid, an Easy Bake Oven. I made so many little cakes! I remember wearing it out and my Mom having to buy me a second one. I used to love to make cakes for my Dad and cut them into tiny little slices. :) I think that started my love for baking. To this day, spending an afternoon baking is still one of my favourite things to do.

As an adult, my husband bought me a killer blanket several years ago. I'm always cold in the evening and I pile on the blankets when I go to bed at night. Before the invention of the Snuggy, my husband bought me this super warm/soft fleece blanket that had a zipper half its length, so that you could zip the blanket around your legs, then it had snaps that held it over your arms. So basically I can wrap this thing around me and walk around the house with it. It's so warm and cozy. I love it! It was especially great to have in our old house, which did not have central heating.

Its the simple things that make me happy. :)

GMichael
12-20-2010, 07:17 AM
A big yellow Tonka truck. I was seven and this thing was so strong that I used to climb on it and ride it down the steep part of our driveway. My mom would throw fits at how fast I would go down that hill, but dad said to let me fall. It would make me tougher.

Worf101
12-20-2010, 10:34 AM
I was about 9 years old. We were living in the '40 Projects in Queens. In that I'd never seen Santa come fhrough a radiator, and had never seen him on our side of the J-Line or the Long Island Rail Road I'd about given up on Santa. Mom and Dad had taken to askin' us kids what we wanted for Christmas and taking us with em to get it. So Santa was about washed up for me. I knew what I was getting and was prepared to be enthiastic about our usual slim pickings and with 5 people in a 2 bedroom apt, there was not place to hide anything we hadn't already seen.

Imagin my surprise then when I woke to find a huge HO scale Train AND Race Car combo assembled and sitting under the tree. Aurora's HO Scale "Sterling Moss" Edition. My jaw dropped, my mind boggled. Santa MUST exist because I KNEW that that race car/train set was NOT in the house on Christmas Eve. For anothe ryear or 2 I still believed in Santa because of that Christmas Miracle. I would find out years later though that Santa was petty theif that had stolen that swag from a loading dock somewhere and shopped it around in the Projects till my Dad bought it, but who's to say which story is true.

Worf

GMichael
12-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Maybe that petty theif was one of Santa's helpers doing his assignment.

dean_martin
12-20-2010, 02:08 PM
I was going through my grandparents' photo albums not long ago and saw a Christmas pic of me when I was 6 or 7 holding a guitar and grinning from ear to ear. I was standing with the guitar hanging from it's strap and I was dressed in a brown suit without a tie and wearing cowboy boots. Mind you this was '76 or '77. I swear I coulda been on the Grand Ole Opry as a mini Glen Campbell.

Worf101
12-21-2010, 05:13 AM
I was going through my grandparents' photo albums not long ago and saw a Christmas pic of me when I was 6 or 7 holding a guitar and grinning from ear to ear. I was standing with the guitar hanging from it's strap and I was dressed in a brown suit without a tie and wearing cowboy boots. Mind you this was '76 or '77. I swear I coulda been on the Grand Ole Opry as a mini Glen Campbell.
We just got's to see this picture!!!! You can't tease and breeze like that!!!!! C'mon give!!!!! Out with it man!!!!!

Worf

dean_martin
12-21-2010, 11:25 AM
We just got's to see this picture!!!! You can't tease and breeze like that!!!!! C'mon give!!!!! Out with it man!!!!!

Worf
Ok, it's comin'. I asked my wife this morning if she remembered seeing the pic. To my surprise, my grandmother had given it to her. I'll scan it and post it. Funny how my memory plays tricks. It wasn't a brown suit, but a denim suit with blue faux-suede boots. Even more Glen Campbell-esque than I remembered.

ForeverAutumn
12-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Oh, I can't wait to see this! I'm already laughing! :D

recoveryone
12-21-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm a big, very big slot car (1/32 scale) fan and my first one was when I was in the 4th grade (Christmas) had no ideal where my parents had hid it. I later went to the HO scale when my first cousin came home from Korea in 73 and brought me my first Aurora track, I still have a 4 lane layout all boxed up and ready to be put back into action once the boys move out of the downstairs bedroom (they never caught the fever like me).

bobsticks
12-21-2010, 02:49 PM

Lolz, my own experience was somewhat similar. Somewhere out there floats around a picture of your's truly with his first gee-tar...at Christmastime as well. I believe I was eight or nine and the deal was that if I played a classical instrument I could partake in guitar lessons too. My pic has the characteristic flipflops and cargo shorts with a brand-spankin'-new Gibson SG that, at that age, weighed a ton.

Ahh, the memories....

ForeverAutumn
12-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Hey Sticky Boy, nice to see you around here. The place hasn't been the same without you.

Worf101
12-22-2010, 05:40 AM
Oh, I can't wait to see this! I'm already laughing! :D
How can you be laughin' at anyone when I assume there's a pic of you floating around enveloped in your Prehistoric Snuggie!!! I'd pay good money to see you being swallowed by a blanket with zippers and snaps!!!!

Worf

ForeverAutumn
12-22-2010, 06:13 AM
How can you be laughin' at anyone when I assume there's a pic of you floating around enveloped in your Prehistoric Snuggie!!! I'd pay good money to see you being swallowed by a blanket with zippers and snaps!!!!

Worf

Yeah? How much money you offering? After finishing my Xmas shopping, I've got some credit cards that need feeding.

"Prehistoric Snuggie"...LMAO!

GMichael
12-22-2010, 06:20 AM
Yeah? How much money you offering? After finishing my Xmas shopping, I've got some credit cards that need feeding.

"Prehistoric Snuggie"...LMAO!

Prehistoric Snuggie? I'll chip in for that.

TheHills44060
12-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Favorite: Great Mazinga - Tall sized Shogun Warrior

Most Disappointing: Big Trac - Programmable tank.
-wanted this so badly from the tv commercials but when I finally got it the thing was too difficult to use. collected dust soon afterward.

dean_martin
12-22-2010, 11:26 AM
This has to be from '75 or earlier. I'm guessing '73. Take this ya dang hippies.

GMichael
12-22-2010, 11:32 AM
You were a cute kid.

dean_martin
12-22-2010, 11:37 AM
You were a cute kid.

Thanks. Things went downhill rather quickly. Puberty was not kind.

TheHills44060
12-22-2010, 12:04 PM
I can tell by your fret hand placement you are in the middle of Jimmy Page's solo in Dazed and Confused :-)

dean_martin
12-22-2010, 12:13 PM
I can tell by your fret hand placement you are in the middle of Jimmy Page's solo in Dazed and Confused :-)

Yes. The neck action on that guitar was spectacular.

ForeverAutumn
12-22-2010, 12:28 PM
That's priceless! Way cuter and less funny than I was imagining. :)

Worf101
12-22-2010, 12:34 PM
You do look more like a young Glen Cambell than Jimmy Page. Great pic. Looks like it was done on an instamatic. Very familiar with em. Or was it a Poloroid? Groovey man, way groovey.

Worf

bobsticks
12-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Hey Sticky Boy, nice to see you around here. The place hasn't been the same without you.

Thanks E., I missed you characters terribly and am, without a doubt, glad to be beack in the thick of things. I promise to create some chaos before the new year is upon us.

Deano, that was outstanding...you were quite the young country gentleman...dare I say exhibiting "squire" potential. Neat rememberance.