65hz to 50hz [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 65hz to 50hz

Joe_Carr
12-19-2010, 01:25 PM
My current monitors frequency response is from 65hz to 23kHz now my question is that will I have alot of difference if I had a monitor that has a frequency response of 50hz to 23kHz? Basicly I have a compact two way 4in monitors and I was wondering that if mine was a 5in woofer instead would you hear a difference on lower end much in general. I basicly needed to know is going from 65hz to 50hz noticeable if both speakers are the same line of series and type just one is bigger woofer.

mlsstl
12-19-2010, 02:46 PM
There isn't enough info offered to make a valid comment.

65 Hz is about low C while 50 Hz takes you to the G below that. On a typical tuning of a bass guitar, the lowest note is E at about 41 Hz.

There is also the issue of the volume at which the note needs to be played. No 4" or 5" speaker by itself is going to move the needed amount of air for truly convincing bass, though they can cerainly offer a listenable experience.

The other problem is speaker measurements - as published by manufacturers - are not standardized. It is very difficult to just look at the numbers provided and form an opinion as to what you'll hear. You'll probably have to listen to them yourself to determine if the upgrade is worth it.

Also keep in mind another option would be to add a subwoofer to the existing speakers.

Joe_Carr
12-19-2010, 06:02 PM
I guess I did forget to put that the 4in woofer I have is from 65 Hz - 23 kHz, -10 dB. The 5in is from 50 Hz - 23 kHz, -10 dB.

Basicly will I hear a difference from the 4in and 5in? Both have same power handling btw just one has a bigger woofer that's all. I don't have any specs for the SPL. I just needed to know that in general can you hear the difference on the lows from 65hz to 50hz that's all.

mlsstl
12-19-2010, 06:22 PM
My guess is you'll hear some difference between the two. What no one but you can determine is whether the difference will be worth making the change.

Joe_Carr
12-19-2010, 07:17 PM
So it will only sound a little more fuller sound? Not really a huge difference? Since I guess just going from 65hz to 50hz isn't really much lower but I just wanted to know if it will sound very noticeable fuller having it going down to 50hz.

mlsstl
12-19-2010, 07:38 PM
I guess I'm not being as clear as desired.

The problem is what one person describes as a "massive" or "enormous" difference is given a shrug of the shoulder by someone else. One doesn't have to read too far in this or any other audio discussion group to find that people can vary radically in how they describe the same equipment.

Since you're the one who will be listening to the speakers, your opinion is the only one that counts.

Given that you haven't yet mentioned a brand name or model numbers, we're just talking navel-gazing theory right now. That and a couple of bucks might get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

;-)

Joe_Carr
12-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Well I was just wondering in general on speakers that's all. But I guess I can tell you the model I' am compairing. One is the Samson MediaOne 4a monitors and one is the Samson MediaOne 5a monitors. I currently own the 4a so it has a 4in woofer and I was wondering if the 5a which has a 5in woofer would sound much fuller. I did say what was the frequency response for both speakers is and I assume you knew that the 4in one is the one that goes 65hz and the 5in goes low as 50hz. Both are 20 watts per channel and 40 watts total. I got these speakers 3 weeks agao from Sweetwater and they sell pro studio gear there. Of cource they even sell ones that cost like as high as around $5,000 each speakers but since I' am in a budget and wanted monitors I got the Samson MediaOne 4a which was $150 pair. The 5a is $200 pair so it's $50 more than the one I have.

Joe_Carr
12-19-2010, 08:05 PM
But I guess it ends up that I have to listen to them and compair since it seems like you were saying that some people might say that there is a huge difference but some might say it's only little difference. But problem is that there is no local dealer that sells or displays a demo for the MediaOne 5a monitors so I can't compair them with mine.

02audionoob
12-19-2010, 08:16 PM
I would say with all else being equal this is a difference you could hear and appreciate to some extent. However, I say this while being a little surprised that the range is reported to -10dB. I wonder how audible the difference really is if you consider that 50 Hz is off by -10dB in the larger speakers and for that matter 65 Hz could be, too. In other words, I wonder if the two pairs of speakers sound the same at 65 Hz and up.

Joe_Carr
12-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Well here are some pics of the specs of my speakers located on the back of the right speakers. The frequency graph is there too printed. I have the 4a which is the 4in woofer.

It seems like it's around -10db around 65hz but anything above it's pretty flat even upto 20kHz.

Joe_Carr
12-19-2010, 08:38 PM
But I guess I will have to listen to the 5a which can go low as 50hz and see if I hear the difference at all. But I don't think I have a way to listen to them though unless I buy them.

Joe_Carr
12-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Ok I did forget but there was a store where I live that had the MediaOne 5a so I did went there and connected my iPod and listen to my music on those speakers. Now it seems like that the 4in I have and the 5in was really alike but since it's a bigger woofer I do hear more low mid bass and low end bass. I think the 5in has little more fuller sound. But it might be because the big room it's in or how it was set up since it wasn't sitting on top of a desk. I have mine set up on the top part of my desk as where I normal put bigger speakers on. But eather way it seems like both speakers are alike but just has little more fuller sound since it fills the low mids and low lows better. It isn't a huge difference at all on the two though. But maybe in the future I would upgrade to it since after all it does have a 5in instead of a 4in woofer.

One thing I did notice about the 4in and 5in woofer is that if you look carefuly it seemed like the 5in woofer had less width butyl rubber so that means that the cones don't move as much as the 4in. I think the reason why they did this is since both speakers have same amp and the 5in doesn't need to have the cones to move more since it doesn't need to be able to put more than 20 watts each. The 4in is smaller and has smaller cones so I think it needs to be able to move more to be able to reach 20 watts each without having distortion.

Btw that store was selling the 3a, 4a, and the 5a monitors so I was able to do a A and B test on each so that was nice.

I use to own the 3a and I did sell it few years agao but that was since it didn't have enough low end and when I listened to the 3a today I did notice it really lacked the low end since it's only a 3in woofer. But for a 3in it did sound really nice a bright clear highs and mids. Just need a subwoofer to fill in the low end stuff. But I think all of the MediaOne series are great speakers. Just that the 5a costs $200 so it's kinda expensive. The 3a is $100 pair The 4a is $150 pair and as I said for 5a it's $200 pair.

I can say that the 4a monitors have much more bass than the 3a that's forsure. Since the 3a are from 80 Hz - 23 kHz, -10 dB

SlumpBuster
12-20-2010, 01:35 PM
You must get the 5" monitor. It will be a night and day difference. You are missing at least a third of the music between 50hz and 65hz, even at 10db down. That may seem like a small difference on paper, but in practice that is where most of the music lives and where the "feeling" comes from. Don't even wait until you can sell the smaller ones, just get the bigger ones now. You won't regret it.

Joe_Carr
12-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Eather way I was lucky to find a store that was displaying the MediaOne series since most of the time when I' am interested in some monitors I can't find them at a local store to listen to them.

budgetaudio76
12-21-2010, 12:46 AM
Get rid of those speaakers and buy larger ones already! No sense in trying to get bass out of those wimpy woofers(midranges any one)

Geoffcin
12-21-2010, 03:39 AM
So it will only sound a little more fuller sound? Not really a huge difference? Since I guess just going from 65hz to 50hz isn't really much lower but I just wanted to know if it will sound very noticeable fuller having it going down to 50hz.

I would say yes, all things being equal a larger woofer will sound fuller. While 4" to 5" doesn't sound like much it's nearly 50% more radiating area, but what's more important is it has a lower f3. There's a lot of musical info in the 65Hz to 50Hz range, and you will hear the difference.

MikeyBC
12-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Well here are some pics of the specs of my speakers located on the back of the right speakers. The frequency graph is there too printed. I have the 4a which is the 4in woofer.

It seems like it's around -10db around 65hz but anything above it's pretty flat even upto 20kHz.

Those graphs that get printed on speakers are completely meaningless. Stop focusing so much on specs! I'll never buy a speaker with a graph on it, it's just a sorry attempt to impress you to make up for something they lack.... good sound !!!

Joe_Carr
12-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Well I guess I will have to think about if I will get the 5a but for now the 4a is fine and does have alot more bass than my old 3a speakers. Btw I remember in Japan listening to a pair of KRK V4 monitors that cost twice as much and they were a 4in woofer too and they sounded good too. So I think those 4in type of speakers are made for smaller rooms like my bedroom.

Anyways will using MoPads from Auralex help so the computer desk doesn't vibrate? I notice when I have my music up loud when playing alot of bass tester songs my desk makes alot of sound. Also from the stuff that is on the desk too. I hear good reviews about those MoPads and makes the speakers sound better so I thought maybe I should get those.

MikeyBC
12-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Anyways will using MoPads from Auralex help so the computer desk doesn't vibrate? I notice when I have my music up loud when playing alot of bass tester songs my desk makes alot of sound. Also from the stuff that is on the desk too. I hear good reviews about those MoPads and makes the speakers sound better so I thought maybe I should get those.

Absolutely

bobsticks
12-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Since we're taking all things into consideration you should probably note that Audionoob is, in the real world, a subwoofer salesman. My thinking is that he is trying to subtly push you toward a larger purchase which you may or may not be prepared for.

Slumpy is right. Configured properly the 5 inch woofer should yield jaw-dropping, stunning...dare I say, amazing, results.

Good luck and happy listening.

GMichael
12-22-2010, 06:42 AM
Slumpy is right. Configured properly the 5 inch woofer should yield jaw-dropping, stunning...dare I say, amazing, results.

Good luck and happy listening.

:skep: :skep: :skep:

flippo
12-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Why get larger speakers when you'll just buy other speakers in two weeks?

bobsticks
12-26-2010, 07:51 AM
:biggrin5:

Joe_Carr
12-26-2010, 11:45 AM
I did some reasearch and found out that my speakers are from 65hz - 23kHz +/- 3db.
I saw on the spec sheet that my speakers are from 54hz - 23kHz -10db. So basicly my speakers goes low as 54hz but it's -10db.

budgetaudio76
12-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Sounds they are in the Mid size PA speakers category. Some do sound good.

Mash
01-01-2011, 07:14 PM
65hz - 23kHz +/- 3db is the ligitimate spec here because -3dB is the half-power point. Output less than -3dB trends toward meaninglessness. The smallest change in SPL that you can recognize as a change in volume is +- 3dB.

54hz - 23kHz -10db is meaningless because -10dB is approaching inaudible and is certainly useless, i.e. -10dB will sound 1/2 as loud as 0dB and will be 1/10 the power as 0dB. Your ears are logarithmic.... remember log_10 from school?

What $ do you have toward making a change?

Any "sub" you might use would have to operate up to about 120 Hz, which is becoming directional, i.e. you can tell where the sound is coming from so you would need two. Also adding a "sub" can be complicated, so selecting speakers with a deeper bass response is probably less expensive and ln many ways your best bet. Lets say speakers with 8" to 12" diameter woofers.

Audio can be very much like fashion: last year's must-have hot item can have little value this year. Some people here do very well scarfing up excellent used equipment. Maybe you should pick their brains.