Luxman R-117 vs Sansui 9090-7070 series [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Luxman R-117 vs Sansui 9090-7070 series

karister99
12-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Has anyone had compared the Luxman R-117 from the 80's with any of the Sansui receivers from the 70's, such as the 9090 down to 7070 ? If so, what is your honest opinion. I think they both are great receivers and had the 9090db and loved it and having the 7070 now and comparing it with the Luxman R-117, like them both. Don't wanna influence the thread and I'll report back later on with my decision of them and as you all know it's personnel taste in sound ha!.:yesnod:

dakatabg
12-18-2010, 11:55 PM
I haven't had any experience with the Luxman receivers however I have had a lot with the Sansui 9090DB. You need to have something incredibly good to beat the Sansui. Since you have both, listen to them and report back so see what the final decision from your side will be!

thekid
12-19-2010, 04:04 AM
K- Welcome to AR!

First of all let me congratulate in having pieces of gear from two very well respected manufacturer's from their respective era's.

I am only fortunate enough to own lesser pieces from each manufacturer. I own a Luxman R-1050 and a Sansui AU-505/TU-555 amp/tuner combo. I have heard the specific pieces you mention but based on my experience with the gear mentioned above it is going to come down to personal taste as I suspect you are going to be impressed with both. One might have an edge in certain areas but overall my guess is you are going to be hard pressed to find a clear winner.

Look forward to seeing what you think and would love to see you post pics of both along with the set-up you are running them in.

karister99
12-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Has anyone had compared the Luxman R-117 from the 80's with any of the Sansui receivers from the 70's, such as the 9090 down to 7070 ? If so, what is your honest opinion. I think they both are great receivers and had the 9090db and loved it and having the 7070 now and comparing it with the Luxman R-117, like them both. Don't wanna influence the thread and I'll report back later on with my decision of them and as you all know it's personnel taste in sound ha!.:yesnod:

Hi folks I'm back with my report on the Luxman R-117 Sansui 9090db & Sansui 7070 receivers. I did do a side by side critical listening comparison using two sets of speakers: one is a very nice vintage DCM TF-600's and the other is a Energy Connoisseur C-9's. I tried both receivers with both sets of speakers and for the Sansui's no issue what speaker you pair with them they made them sing with ease and they did always brought the best in them. The Luxman in other hand was bit critical, and did sound really great with the DCM's not so with the Energy's. The conclusion I came upon a two week period of critical listening is they both are excellent receivers and no hands down winner. I noticed the Sansui is tad better in the warmth of the sound and it can really push any speaker to sing and bring out the best in them with ease, and the Sansui has a surprisingly great tight and precise well rounded low end. And that said, the Luxman is a sweet and warm sounding receiver with bit laid back sound characteristics than the Sansui's. The Luxman throws out a much broader more deeper kind of disappearing sound-stage than the Sansui. Each one of this receivers have their own edge in few aspects: Luxman has a bigger sound-stage with the convenience of a remote controler and the modern look, Sansui's well lit awesome silver face with the VU meters and tad warmer sound, and the way it pushes any speaker with ease from the low frequency to high frequency the whole spectrum. I have not cranked up the volume more than 9 O'Clock position may be occasional 10 position, and listened to most jazz, pops, some hip hop. In my humble opinion they both are really great awesome sounding receivers and keepers:). I would still like any other input on these models and what speakers to get the best out of them kind,and thank you folks for your honest opinion as well:)

karister99
12-19-2010, 01:59 PM
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k395/Ronster99/IMG_0020-1.jpg

thekid
12-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Well your comments about not finding a clear winner does not surprise me given the gear involved. I don't think you should look at this as a either or situation unless space is an issue why not have them both set-up?

The TF-600's are not a rocker speaker (I know I have a pair along with a pair of Time Window 1's) so keep them paired up with the Luxman for Accoustic and Jazz and the Sansui for everything else.

karister99
12-19-2010, 02:05 PM
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k395/Ronster99/IMG_0120.jpg

karister99
12-19-2010, 02:08 PM
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k395/Ronster99/IMG_0123.jpg

karister99
12-19-2010, 02:09 PM
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k395/Ronster99/IMG_0122.jpg

thekid
12-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Nice pics!
The higher end TF series are nice sleeper speakers that fly under most people's radar because they do not have the name cache of some other speakers. On most receiver or amp combo's they could use a little help on the lower end but they really shine in the mid and higher ranges.

karister99
12-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Nice pics!
The higher end TF series are nice sleeper speakers that fly under most people's radar because they do not have the name cache of some other speakers. On most receiver or amp combo's they could use a little help on the lower end but they really shine in the mid and higher ranges.

Yes, they're some of the awesome budget speakers you can find on the used market, due to not having the name recognition like the rest. I know they need some real help in the bottom end and if you pair them with a decent sub they are awesome speakers. I think they can go head to head with the Vandersteen 2ce's (which I had) with a sub integrated. What is your opinion about the timeframe and the timewindows? as I always wanted to try a pair of timewindows and are they pretty much carry the same sound characteristics?? Your welcome about the photos and may be you should post some gear your using as well:) cheers!

thekid
12-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Yes, they're some of the awesome budget speakers you can find on the used market, due to not having the name recognition like the rest. I know they need some real help in the bottom end and if you pair them with a decent sub they are awesome speakers. I think they can go head to head with the Vandersteen 2ce's (which I had) with a sub integrated. What is your opinion about the timeframe and the timewindows? as I always wanted to try a pair of timewindows and are they pretty much carry the same sound characteristics?? Your welcome about the photos and may be you should post some gear your using as well:) cheers!

The TF-600's are very close soundwise to the Time Windows but the TW's have a bit more bottom end. When paired with the right amp or receiver they seem to be able to go real low. According to some specs I have seen the TW's will go to 25Hz where as the TF-600's only go to about 45Hz. They both might be a bit exaggerated or at least heavilt dependent on the piece driving them. DCM's seem to me to be a bit power hungry as a rule but for some reason my 23 wpc Sansui AU-505 real get drive the bass in the TW's.

As for pics of my gear you can go back and look at some of the older posts and see the evolution of my system. I was up to about 50 pairs of speakers at one point but have managed to sell some off including an extra set of TF-600's and rebuilt TW's.