HT with netflix [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HT with netflix

rayh78
12-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Just got a Samsung c500 HT receiver
When using the C500 it sounds good using with regular TV and DVDs. But I have netflex connect to the TV. When I try to use it with Netflex downloaded movie the sound cuts in and out. Netflex works fine with just the TV speakers. Is there something that a downloaded Netflex movie will not work with a HT receiver?
Samsung tech said netflex does not have surround sound so it will not put out any sound from the receiver. This does not sound right. If the TV speakers can play a sound why not my HT speakers. Have the TV hooked to receiver with a HDMI and optical cable

Thanks

kelsci
12-19-2010, 11:16 AM
I do not agree with what Samsung said to you too. I have not been using any apps since my tv es not equipped with it nor do I have any sort of boxes to play with.

Does your tv set have the netflix app or do you use a separate box to get it.

Lets take the tv set first. It sounds like you have an optical cable hooked up to the tv set and your new receiver. Are you getting any ofther types of sound from that hookup? I would also check the tv sets audio capabilties to see if it needs a change in its menu.

If you are using a separate box for netflix, does that box feature an optical output. If you are using this method you might try an optical cable from that box into one of the other optical inputs of your receiver.

rayh78
12-19-2010, 01:22 PM
I do not agree with what Samsung said to you too. I have not been using any apps since my tv es not equipped with it nor do I have any sort of boxes to play with.

Does your tv set have the netflix app or do you use a separate box to get it.

Lets take the tv set first. It sounds like you have an optical cable hooked up to the tv set and your new receiver. Are you getting any ofther types of sound from that hookup? I would also check the tv sets audio capabilties to see if it needs a change in its menu.

If you are using a separate box for netflix, does that box feature an optical output. If you are using this method you might try an optical cable from that box into one of the other optical inputs of your receiver.

Not a seperate box. Cable TV and network cable go directly to TV.
Can get sound out of receiver from TV shows and DVD player. But DVD does have its own optical cable.

02audionoob
12-19-2010, 03:41 PM
After the NetFlix movie goes to the TV, how does the NetFlix audio get connected to the HT receiver?

Mr Peabody
12-19-2010, 04:38 PM
From what I've read on other threads Netflix is able to deliver 5.1, I suspect what you are hearing is a bandwidth issue, the Netflix stream isn't able to be supplied as fast as you need for surround sound. Your TV would only use a 2-channel where the receiver is able to take advantage of the 5.1.

kelsci
12-19-2010, 05:31 PM
02AUDIONOOB is asking the right question. For instance taking your dvd player; if that is an upconvrting player, it has an HDMI output. If that hdmi cable was connected to your receiver(HDMI INPUT), your receiver should pick up 5.1 audio if a disc contains such audio. I believe that you would connect another HDMI cable from one of the HDMI outputs of the receiver to an HDMI input of the television. The question here is wether when the receiver is turned off will a video/audio signal be passed through to your television. If the tv screen is blank then you do not have what is called HDMI PASSTHROUGH.

If you do not have the above or that would not work you would then hookup the dvd player's HDMI output to one of the HDMI inputs of your tv. You would then get sound in two channel form over the set. You would hook up an optical cable to your dvd player from its optical output to an optical input of your receiver for 5.1 sound.

With cable boxes that have an HDMI output it would almost work the same as above with what should be the same results.

The question we have here is how are you receiving your netflix. Does you tv come with what is called the AP(application) or are you receiving it in some other way. If you get it with the tv ap, the first thing you shold be hearing is two channel sound. Now you want the receiver to play that sound. There would be two ways of doing this. If the tv has an analogue audio output that would be hooked up to one of your receiver's audio analogue inputs. The second way would be with an optical cable hooked up from the optical output of your tv to an optical input of your receiver. Supposedly, you should hear sound from your receiver when you have selected that particular optical input.

As to whether you would get just 2 channel or 5.1 channel sound from Netflix is something I cannot answer. Make sure that your receiver's optical inputs are assigned properly. It sounds like it is assigned properly for your dvd player. What is still not clear to me and others here is where you are picking up Netflix, through a tv application or somewhere else.

pixelthis
12-20-2010, 03:34 AM
If you are getting Netflix through your TV, you can use your TV sets optical out, but you
will only get two channel. Thats a limitaton of the optical out that most TV sets have.
Since SAMSUNG doesnt make real receivers, you probably have an HTIB.
Nothing wrong with that, but Samsungs can be wierd about DRM (digital rights managment).
I HAD A 47" Samsung RPTV that played fine mostly, but when I hooked a
PANNY DVD player to the component, a big black box appeared in the middle of the screen.
NOT saying that is what it is, but try both the analog and digital outs on your set.
BTW if it was a bandwidth problem it would affect the picture also.
Something is not talking to something, basically, could be a loose cable, or some kind of
DRM generated to guareentee that you only hear Netflix through your TV speakers.
One thing for sure, if there is any kind of DRM on the signal, a Samsung product
will have trouble with it.:1:

kelsci
12-20-2010, 04:21 AM
Hi Pixel; Samsung does make a few receivers, The model he has is a Samsung receiver. You can google the model number. It is sold at Crutchfield and other internet stores.

rayh78
12-20-2010, 05:57 AM
02AUDIONOOB is asking the right question. For instance taking your dvd player; if that is an upconvrting player, it has an HDMI output. If that hdmi cable was connected to your receiver(HDMI INPUT), your receiver should pick up 5.1 audio if a disc contains such audio. I believe that you would connect another HDMI cable from one of the HDMI outputs of the receiver to an HDMI input of the television. The question here is wether when the receiver is turned off will a video/audio signal be passed through to your television. If the tv screen is blank then you do not have what is called HDMI PASSTHROUGH.

If you do not have the above or that would not work you would then hookup the dvd player's HDMI output to one of the HDMI inputs of your tv. You would then get sound in two channel form over the set. You would hook up an optical cable to your dvd player from its optical output to an optical input of your receiver for 5.1 sound.

With cable boxes that have an HDMI output it would almost work the same as above with what should be the same results.

The question we have here is how are you receiving your netflix. Does you tv come with what is called the AP(application) or are you receiving it in some other way. If you get it with the tv ap, the first thing you shold be hearing is two channel sound. Now you want the receiver to play that sound. There would be two ways of doing this. If the tv has an analogue audio output that would be hooked up to one of your receiver's audio analogue inputs. The second way would be with an optical cable hooked up from the optical output of your tv to an optical input of your receiver. Supposedly, you should hear sound from your receiver when you have selected that particular optical input.

As to whether you would get just 2 channel or 5.1 channel sound from Netflix is something I cannot answer. Make sure that your receiver's optical inputs are assigned properly. It sounds like it is assigned properly for your dvd player. What is still not clear to me and others here is where you are picking up Netflix, through a tv application or somewhere else.

Getting it from a TV app. So dont use Bluray player to get it . And then have a optical cable from TV to receiver. If I turn on receiver can hear TV shows fine, but if I switch to netflix the sound cuts in and out. Like 1 second on 3 seconds off.

kelsci
12-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Hi Rayh78; Your response does make things clearer. If there was a problem with the optical out, your tv shows audio would be crapping out the same as Netflix. So I believe the problem is with Netflix in some way. Again I have not delt with Netflix or tv apps. Either the television is not handling the Netflix app properly or your hookup to the tv to get netflix may not be working properly. From what I have read, Netflix comes over the internet an as such I believe you have an internet connection to the tv to receive netflix. So the first place I would start if this is the case is the connection. I am sure the connection involves some kind of wire so that would the first thing I would check. If you are doing something wireless, is the transmitter/receiver working properly or is there some interference going on. It would be nice if there were a way to be able to test the connection in another tv set but I doubt very many people have two tvs close to the same internet access. However if someone had two sets in their home and both received netflix with the "constants" being the same(wire, connection etc) and one tv received it properly and one did not I would suspect the tv. If you try the ole process of elimation game and get no satisfaction and if your tv is under warranty you might want to make a service call provided the warranty covers the apps. I might also try Netflix's site and see if they have a forum for problems or perhaps you can ask them for help. Recently I had an experience where I wanted to run a long wire from my satellite tuner to my computer which is some 30 feet away. The USB wires looked nice but they could not carry enough signal to my computer. So this tells me the wire must have resistance causing loss of a signal over a certain length. I think you are dealing with a loss of signal which is flowing intermittently from some cause. Good luck.

rayh78
12-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I have this problem solved. Does not make a lot of sense to me. But it seems all I have to do is turn the receiver on first before going to Netflix, then it seems to work fine. I had spent so much time trying to set things up I did not even think to try this before. I don’t have to do this with TV shows. And if a netflix movie is playing and someone hits a button wrong and changes the input I cant go back to TV on the receiver and get it to work. I have to completely exit out of netflix, make sure the receiver is on and set to TV and then restart netflix.

I guess there is a little learning curve to these things. The other problem I had was when using the receiver I would press a DSP button to try and find the best sound. It would change modes from Hall, church, jazz, stereo, rock, movie, etc.
And none of them sounded that great, sounded more like in a tunnel.
Then found out that there was another button for Prologic. Modes like Music, Movie, Game, Matrix. When I tried this everything sounded so much clearer and better in any of the modes.

Manual was not very clear. Just like Samsung chat support told me Netflix could not play with a HT system. Which I did not believe and they were wrong.

Wanted something easy for anybody to use. Maybe a universal remote is the answer so the wife and kids can use.

kelsci
12-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Rayh78; that is weird however you found a way to get the receiver to work. The Pro-Logic modes are the correct ones to use and are standard I believe on every receiver on the market. They are made to enhance two channel recordings into a more discrete sound from a soundtrack that has surround information embedded into the track as say Dolby Surround. The other DSP modes that you use may or may not do something good but they are generally not made for two channel movies.

Mr Peabody
12-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Pix, some HDTV's now do pass 5.1

pixelthis
12-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Pix, some HDTV's now do pass 5.1

GOOD to hear.
A lot of this tech is new, and quirky. My cablebox, under certain circumstances, switches
to 720P! I have to change it back on the front panel. HAD the same problem with my Vizio.
&%^$# Comcast!!!:1:

L.J.
12-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I have this problem solved. Does not make a lot of sense to me. But it seems all I have to do is turn the receiver on first before going to Netflix, then it seems to work fine. I had spent so much time trying to set things up I did not even think to try this before. I don’t have to do this with TV shows. And if a netflix movie is playing and someone hits a button wrong and changes the input I cant go back to TV on the receiver and get it to work. I have to completely exit out of netflix, make sure the receiver is on and set to TV and then restart netflix.

:yikes: Ouch...

Wanted something easy for anybody to use. Maybe a universal remote is the answer so the wife and kids can use.

Harmony One if it's in your budget (although a less expensive model will work fine). Very nice remote, can tweak pretty much anything you want. You could also program your AVR to start up first to help with the Netflix issue.

rayh78
12-21-2010, 09:16 PM
:yikes: Ouch...

Harmony One if it's in your budget (although a less expensive model will work fine). Very nice remote, can tweak pretty much anything you want. You could also program your AVR to start up first to help with the Netflix issue.

I did look at a Harmony one. Maybe a stupid reason. But the Harmony seemed so cheap compared to the remote that came with my TV. A Samsung UNC7000. The look and the feel of just this one samsung remote seems so good. Weighs more and seems much better built.
Comcast has not made us upgrade yet to the digital cable box. When they do get to our area and require this, I guess I will be forced to use the cable box remote. I know I will most likely go with a harmony at that time.

pixelthis
12-22-2010, 12:19 PM
I did look at a Harmony one. Maybe a stupid reason. But the Harmony seemed so cheap compared to the remote that came with my TV. A Samsung UNC7000. The look and the feel of just this one samsung remote seems so good. Weighs more and seems much better built.
Comcast has not made us upgrade yet to the digital cable box. When they do get to our area and require this, I guess I will be forced to use the cable box remote. I know I will most likely go with a harmony at that time.

THEY WONT require it. But if your telly has no digital tuner you will be needing a converter
box. No extra charge.
YOU MIGHT want a converter even if your set has a digital tuner, you will get more stations
through it. Of course if you have a digital set a cable box is ideal, you get more HD(I get a
few HD channels on my straight cable input).:1:

pixelthis
12-22-2010, 12:25 PM
About remotes, it has been a personal bug up my nether-regions that most think of a
remote as a "frill", or something to save money on.
I PAID 500 bucks for mine seven years ago, and its still going strong.
A decent remote costs money, but it ties your system together, makes it a
system instead of a collection of stuff from the department store.
AUTOMATION AND CUSTOMIZATION IS POSSIBLE, and sometimes fun in and of itself.
When peeps ask me what my best investment in my system was, I show them my
trusty PHILLIPS pronto, probably one of the best remotes ever made.:1: