The Decemberists return to form. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Decemberists return to form.

Slosh
12-17-2010, 11:28 AM
The web release of The King is Dead was this week (CD won't be released until January 18, 2011). After two spins I can say it's everything I hoped it would be, which was sort of a surprise after being disappointed with the Always the Bridesmaid EP and The Hazards of Love album. Fans of their first several albums will be happy with this one. This is full of short, poppy songs and clocks in at a just-right-length of just under 41 minutes. No epic high concept pap here.

It's so good in fact I think I'm gonna play it again right now :)

ForeverAutumn
12-17-2010, 12:08 PM
YAY! Good news. I didn't like Hazards of Love. Saw it live and still didn't like it. Thanks for letting us know. I think I'll wait until January for the hard copy though. Maybe I'll get some gift certs from Santa that I spend on it. :)

Stone
12-17-2010, 12:10 PM
I remember them.

Swish
12-18-2010, 04:27 AM
I agree with you regarding the last too and glad they moved away from those prog leanings.

atomicAdam
12-19-2010, 07:51 AM
I heard the album yesterday - actually not bad. Way better than what I heard before, I'll give it some more listening.

3LB
12-21-2010, 03:20 PM
yeah, prog was just not for them

I still have my copy of HoL - might be time for me to shop it to the local used store (even no one at Progressive Ears wants it).

Finch Platte
12-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Maybe I'll get some gift certs from Santa that I spend on it. :)

Uh, that's not what I'm sending you this year.

Hint: It's pink. And pliable. :ihih:

ForeverAutumn
12-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Uh, that's not what I'm sending you this year.

Hint: It's pink. And pliable. :ihih:

Play Doh?

ForeverAutumn
12-21-2010, 04:12 PM
I've also had an opportunity to listen to the new album and I like it.

I didn't like HoL, but I love The Crane Wife. I like the proggy stuff they do (big shocker, eh?). The Tain is brilliant IMO. It wasn't the prog aspect of HoL that I didn't like...it was that, as an album, it sucked. It did have it's moments. The Rake's Song is great.

...okay so it had it's "moment". :)

3LB
12-23-2010, 09:02 AM
I like it. Definite older REM vibe, except I like it better than older REM. Great to hear them return to their folkier roots because their approach to prog was dirge-like. Its a tad samey beginning to end, but will play better in MP3 rotation, where HoL was nearly impossible.