Holy crooner Batman, ... Andy Williams [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Holy crooner Batman, ... Andy Williams

rakeford
12-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Since I installed my Jico D6800EEE-S Shibata Stylus, I'm on a roll to play through all of my vinyl. I'm now getting down to the LPs that I'm not supposed to like.

On today's list is Andy Williams ~ Love Theme From "The Godfather" (Speak Softly Love), Columbia CQ 31303, QUADRAPHONIC, 1972.

All I can say is WOW! It sounds fantastic. His voice is strong and clear (he really is a great singer). The orchestra is clean and precise. Have I ever heard Andy Williams like this? Should I go out and buy all the Andy Williams LPs at the thrift/GW? Do I need to hang up my Rock-N-Roll hat?

Please help me?

Here's the hardware chain:
1. Jico D6800EEE-S Shibata Stylus (new 2010 with about 113 hours on it)
2. Stanton 681EEE cartridge (new circa 1978)
3. Philips GA312 turntable with OEM phono cables (new circa 1978)
4. Yamaha RX-797 receiver via phono input (new 2009)
5. Klipsch RF-7, 2 channel (new circa 2004)

dean_martin
12-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Andy Williams' "Happy Heart" is a favorite of mine.

My mom's regular Christmas music rotation when I was a kid included Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis and others.

JohnMichael
12-15-2010, 03:31 PM
I love to hear Andy sing "Moon River".

3LB
12-16-2010, 08:53 AM
His version of Oh Holy Night (yeah, I know) is definitive. Having performed in an era when it would have been poor taste to do the vocal range acrobatics that was popularized by TV talent shows, a few of those old crooners like Williams and Tony Bennett still had impressive range and power. They just never exploited their vocal prowess because they respected the song too much to act like divas.