Blu-Ray Upgrade Advice: Panasonic BD85k vs. LG BD570 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blu-Ray Upgrade Advice: Panasonic BD85k vs. LG BD570

jamison162
12-15-2010, 12:11 AM
I currently have a Panny DMP-BD60 but would like to upgrade for improved audio/video, wireless capabilities and Netflix streaming. Which player would yall recommend? Sticking with the Panny BD85 or trying the LG...which streams better?

Another thought was the Sony S570 but I have just about decided against that based on my experience with Panny.

How does the LG compare, I'm not too "up" on them although I love our new LG front load washer and dryer.

Tarheel_
12-15-2010, 08:41 AM
You may have to do some google searches for reviews (or check this site's review section). I have a midlevel Samsung 6500 model with wireless and it's been a great addition to our family. No issues so far and it loads very quickly. Streaming will depend much on your internet speed, not the actual player.

jamison162
12-16-2010, 08:05 PM
I bought the BD85k for $165 shipped from Newegg.

I have an older Denon AVR-1804 receiver with no HDMI. I'm gonna run HDMI from the player to my 60" Sony LCD. What audio should I run to my receiver: Optical, Digital Coax, or the Analog 5.1?

Woochifer
12-16-2010, 11:13 PM
I bought the BD85k for $165 shipped from Newegg.

I have an older Denon AVR-1804 receiver with no HDMI. I'm gonna run HDMI from the player to my 60" Sony LCD. What audio should I run to my receiver: Optical, Digital Coax, or the Analog 5.1?

Congrats!

Generally, you should use a digital audio output because the receiver will almost always give you better bass management and control options than an optical player will. The coax cable is capable of carrying higher bandwidth than the optical Toslink cables, but throughput on a 5.1 DD/DTS or two-channel PCM signal will not even come close to the bandwidth limit on a Toslink cable.

One reason to go with coax is its durability. A kinked optical cable will have dropouts. But, the optical cable is thinner and can fit into tighter spaces in your audio rack.

amarmistry
12-17-2010, 06:17 AM
Congratulations. I just my BD-85K from Amazon as well. Looks like you got it $5 cheaper than me. :-)
Anyways, did you connect it to you receiver via Optical or Analog audio? I connected it to my receiver (non-HDMI) via 5.1 channel analog audio (I am not doing 7.1 yet) but I do not get the sound. I changed the setup on BR to make it HDMI with no audio and setup my receiver for DVD Input as analog audio. Still gotta try it this week-end. Don't know what am I doing wrong. Mine is Harman Kardon receiver (AVR335).

If you have luck, let me know. The BR pic looks stunning on my Epson 8700 projector.

jamison162
12-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Congrats!

Generally, you should use a digital audio output because the receiver will almost always give you better bass management and control options than an optical player will. The coax cable is capable of carrying higher bandwidth than the optical Toslink cables, but throughput on a 5.1 DD/DTS or two-channel PCM signal will not even come close to the bandwidth limit on a Toslink cable.

One reason to go with coax is its durability. A kinked optical cable will have dropouts. But, the optical cable is thinner and can fit into tighter spaces in your audio rack.

I understand coax vs. optical. But my question was to use the digital audio outs to a non HDMI receiver or use the analog and let the BluRay decode the new HD audio formats (which my receiver will not do).

Also... I have an older wireless Netgear router b/g, 108Mb. Are the newer Lynksys n's any better for streaming? Any input on routers would be appreciated.

flippo
12-17-2010, 09:45 AM
I have the bd 85 and love it. I also have a non-HDMI receiver (onkyo tsx602) so I use both the digital and th analog. The Panny has all the rca outputs unlike a lot of other players.

pixelthis
12-17-2010, 04:17 PM
I understand coax vs. optical. But my question was to use the digital audio outs to a non HDMI receiver or use the analog and let the BluRay decode the new HD audio formats (which my receiver will not do).

Also... I have an older wireless Netgear router b/g, 108Mb. Are the newer Lynksys n's any better for streaming? Any input on routers would be appreciated.

THE ANALOG outs is your only choice if you want lossless hi-rez sound.
IT is worth it, but I would put a new HDMI receiver at the very top of my upgrade list.
THEY arent that expensive, really. Get one with AUDDESSY.

Woochifer
12-19-2010, 04:27 PM

I'd suggest you give it a listen. Even though the lossless audio is a plus, the more limited bass management and calibration capabilities built into a typical optical player could very well negate any improvement you would otherwise get.

Keep in mind that most Blu-ray titles already use the higher resolution 640k Dolby Digital and 1.5k DTS formats for the standard coax/optical audio output that's backwards compatible with nearly all existing DD and DTS decoders.

I probably use the same Netgear router that you do, and media streaming with my PS3 is very glitchy. I get connection errors on a regular basis and have to periodically reset the router. When it's working, it streams Netflix movies just fine (we have a 3.0 Mbps DSL line, so it's not really testing the limits of the Wireless-G bandwidth).

The Wireless-N routers will obviously give you improved bandwidth, but that won't benefit you much unless your Blu-ray player also uses Wireless-N receiver.

The Wireless-G standard actually has enough bandwidth for streaming video, but like I said, that Netgear router has been hit and miss. Try it out, and see if you run into connection or bandwidth issues. The bandwidth shouldn't be an issue unless you're trying to stream high bitrate 1080p files from a media server.

recoveryone
12-19-2010, 05:23 PM
IMHO I think it has more to do with the amount of your Mbps, The G standard can handle the download, but unusually you don't get the full amount of bandwidth wirelessly. if you read up on consumer level bandwidth, what you pay for is up to 3Mbps, does not mean that you are at that level. There are lots of factors that come into play that decrease the amount that you actually get into your home. That is why Fios (or any other fiber optic service) is the best answer:

Higher bandwidth 10Mbps-25Mbps comsumer level
Less drops of packets (information)
Less need to repeat sending of packets (information)

I feels its just one of those things companies fail to inform the public on. Netflick, YouTube and the rest work best with highend bandwidth. Just like getting a game for your computer and reading the system req on the side of the box. You first see the min req to run it, then read lower and see what the recommended specs are that would really make the game play enjoyable.

jamison162
12-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks guys!

I'm running Google Chrome and have COX Cable for my ISP. I'm getting download speeds of 12 -18 Mbps but that's plugged directly into the modem. I went ahead and ordered a new Netgear router that supports the latest 802.11n and is rated up to 300 Mbps and does the simultaneous dual band (2.4Ghz & 5.0 Ghz) where you can separate your pc/printer/home office on the 2.4 and stream on the 5.0 so they don't interfere. A solid $80 investment I think seeing as I got my wife a new wireless laptop for christmas.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122378

My new Panny BD85k supports 802.11n, it's even listed on the front of the box. Also, my office is located right off the living room no more than 20' away.

I'm hoping to have great success with streaming with little to no glitches right off the bat, we'll see. Gotta get all this gear in and hooked up - all my wife's family will be in town in a few days.

amarmistry
12-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Please see this link for my Home theater setup.
Panny DMP-BD85K with Epson projector in action:
http://picasaweb.google.com/arm.amar/HomeTheater#