Newb Needs Help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newb Needs Help

richard281
12-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Hey Guys,
New to this forum; so wassent too sure to as where this thread belongs as it covers everything.

Oki my problem is that I am creating a speaker enclosure/box, the construction of the box is not the problem but the wiring and cabling is, I am going to be using some old speakers for this, they have the old red and black wires. I need to know how I would be able to connect them to an power sorce and then be able to connect a 3.5mm headjack enabling me to play music though them via my iPod/phone/computer. I will be able to connect them to a power supply so wiring a plug would be nice :)

Future Thanks :D

Feanor
12-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Hey Guys,
New to this forum; so wassent too sure to as where this thread belongs as it covers everything.

Oki my problem is that I am creating a speaker enclosure/box, the construction of the box is not the problem but the wiring and cabling is, I am going to be using some old speakers for this, they have the old red and black wires. I need to know how I would be able to connect them to an power sorce and then be able to connect a 3.5mm headjack enabling me to play music though them via my iPod/phone/computer. I will be able to connect them to a power supply so wiring a plug would be nice :)

Future Thanks :D
What "power source" do you have in mind?

The red and black wires from on the speaker are the + and - inputs; these will connect to the + and - outputs of your "power source" which is presumably an amplfier of some sort.

For input, amplfier an amplfier might have a 3.5mm stereo jack, but more typically will have a pair of so-called RCA, female jacks for the Left and Right channels. You can connect your iPod or computer via an adaptor that has a L/R pair of RCA jacks plus either a 3.5mm stereo female jack or male plug. You will also need a L/R pair of RCA-terminated interconnects to connect this adaptor the amplfier.

How will you control the volume of playback? Do you expect to use the iPod or computer's volume control, or do you expect to use a volume control on your "power source"?

richard281
12-14-2010, 02:44 PM
thank you for the quick reply :)

I would like my power sorce to be a mains plug supply, only going to be using around the house realy. This might sound like a stupid question but will I still need to have an amplifier even if i use a mains plug to supply it?
Finaly i would prefer a volume control on the power supply?

Thank you :)