Best of 2010 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best of 2010

dean_martin
12-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Would those of you who actually went to the movies this year please post your top 2, 3, or 5 of 2010? How did this year's crop stack up against past years? I had a miserable movie-going year. I promise to do much better in 2011.

From memory, some that interested me from 2010 were:
Inception
Winter's Bone
Catfish
The Social Network
Black Swan (not too late to catch this one)
Blue Valentine (not too late . . .)

Worf101
12-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Yeah, 2010 wasn't a great year for much to be truthfull.

In no particular order:

City Island
Client 9 Eliot we hardly knew ye.
The Kids Are All Righ
The King's Speech

Nope, not a lot of love this year from moi.

Worf

Troy
12-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Without a doubt, the worst year for movies I've ever experienced. I swear, I can't come up with a list of even 5 movies that I thought were great this year.

Toy Story 3
Social Network

That's about it. Looking around at critic's lists I shudder to find crap like Shutter Island and Inception on so many lists. The Kids Are Alright was too predictable and linear. Throw out the lesbian angle and there's really nothing there. The Fighter? Black Swan? ZZZzzzZZZ. Any other year and none of those wouldn't make virtually any lists. Truly, a dreadful year for movies.

I'm hoping True Grit will be good. Any others yet to come out with potential?

ForeverAutumn
12-14-2010, 05:01 PM
I think that the only 2010 movie that I've seen is Dinner For Shmucks.

So far I've been able to avoid the latest Harry Potter, but I suspect that I'll get dragged to it before the year is out.

Jack in Wilmington
12-14-2010, 06:04 PM
I think that the only 2010 movie that I've seen is Dinner For Shmucks.

So far I've been able to avoid the latest Harry Potter, but I suspect that I'll get dragged to it before the year is out.

FA, If you like the Harry Potter movies, you'll like this one. It really sets you up for the finale. Lots of humor. As far as the other movies this year I'm with the majority, they were bad. This is the only movie I went to see in the theater. We want to see Narnia maybe on New Years Eve.

ForeverAutumn
12-14-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm not into the whole Harry Potter thing. I read the first book and was only mildly entertained. The first couple of movies were good, but I got bored with the whole thing by the fourth one. I'm in no hurry to see the rest.

3LB
12-14-2010, 06:13 PM
I don't think I've been to the theater but about 4 tmes

here's hopin TRON isn't a total piece (I'll prolly be seeing this one this holiday)

I'll prolly wait for True Grit to come out on DVD to be honest

Jack in Wilmington
12-15-2010, 03:16 AM
I'm not into the whole Harry Potter thing. I read the first book and was only mildly entertained. The first couple of movies were good, but I got bored with the whole thing by the fourth one. I'm in no hurry to see the rest.

Fair enough. You gave it a shot. It's like this big vampire and werewolf thing, it not for everybody.

Worf101
12-15-2010, 06:34 AM
I watched most if not all of TCM's Series "Moguls and Movies" about the birth, rise and fall of the studio system in Hollywood. Really puts it into perspective how prolific H-Wood used to be. Hundreds of films a year, most of em bad, some of them good, and ocaisionally, a gem to make the whole business worthwhile. But like most industries that die, the moguls couldn't change with the times or see the writing on the wall. They survived television but not their on excess or desire to turn back the clock.

Flash forward from '69 to now and what have we? Fewer films of lesser character and dubious content. Add to that the loss of revenue due to piracy and film may be nearing the tipping point. For the first time I'm actually fearfull.

Worf

Troy
12-15-2010, 12:02 PM
I watched most if not all of TCM's Series "Moguls and Movies" about the birth, rise and fall of the studio system in Hollywood. Really puts it into perspective how prolific H-Wood used to be. Hundreds of films a year, most of em bad, some of them good, and ocaisionally, a gem to make the whole business worthwhile. But like most industries that die, the moguls couldn't change with the times or see the writing on the wall. They survived television but not their on excess or desire to turn back the clock.

Flash forward from '69 to now and what have we? Fewer films of lesser character and dubious content. Add to that the loss of revenue due to piracy and film may be nearing the tipping point. For the first time I'm actually fearfull.

Worf

Like the failure of the US auto industry, it's hard for me to feel sorry for them. I love cars AND movies, but they did it to themselves by letting the accounting departments run the business instead of the creatives. For some reason, both industries lost sight of the fact that they are product driven.

Stone
12-20-2010, 10:55 AM
http://sites.google.com/site/moviesonlinesite1/_/rsrc/1260773191649/watch-a-town-called-panic-online/A%20Town%20Called%20Panic.jpg

Technically a 2009 movie, but wasn't reasonably available here until this year.

recoveryone
12-30-2010, 01:45 PM
I have to sit here and think a bit:

1. Book of Eli
2. Waiting on Superman