Will my tv accept non standard resolutions via HDMI? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Will my tv accept non standard resolutions via HDMI?

audio amateur
12-13-2010, 03:11 AM
My Samsung plasma has three HDMI inputs, the first one is named 'HDMI/DVI'. Its native resolution is 1365 by 768p. Ive hooked up my computer using 15 pin VGA and the screen will accept its native resolution using this connection method. As i will be purchasing a graphics card soon, i'd like to know whether or not my screen witll accept 1365 by 768 via HDMI. Or will it only accept standard HD (720p and 1080p)?
Ill check tonight in the manual if it mentions anything, in the meantime thanks for any input.

edit: tv model number is PN50C490

basite
12-13-2010, 04:02 AM
My Samsung plasma has three HDMI inputs, the first one is named 'HDMI/DVI'. Its native resolution is 1365 by 768p. Ive hooked up my computer using 15 pin VGA and the screen will accept its native resolution using this connection method. As i will be purchasing a graphics card soon, i'd like to know whether or not my screen witll accept 1365 by 768 via HDMI. Or will it only accept standard HD (720p and 1080p)?
Ill check tonight in the manual if it mentions anything, in the meantime thanks for any input.

edit: tv model number is PN50C490

the HDMI/DVI input is probably ment to be used for PC's, just like the VGA input is ment for PC use. The HDMI/DVI input will require you to use a HDMI to DVI cable, or a DVI to HDMI adapter. It's native resolution is 1365x768p because that's a often used native resolution for 16/9 PC screens (my laptop uses the same resolution, for example), you can use this input if you want to use the same resolution as your PC monitor.

I, however, see no use in doing so. a modern pc with a modern graphics card is able to put out all the resolutions necessary. There are graphics cards with a HDMI output, and for those who don't have that, there is the DVI/HDMI adapter. You can choose the resolution on your pc itself. I don't know the native resolution of your PC, but I think it's better to use this than the "native resolution" of the HDMI/DVI input on your plasma. so connect the PC to a "regular" HDMI input... :)

if your plasma is 720p though, the HDMI/DVI input on your plasma will offer a greater resolution for PC use (easier to read)

Do mind: if your graphic card uses a DVI output, with HDMI adapter, you will not be able to get sound over the HDMI cable, as DVI is picture only. With graphics cards with HDMI outputs, you might be able to get sound over it too, if you can connect the graphics card to the sound card.

hope this helps :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

audio amateur
12-13-2010, 05:09 AM
Hi Bert, thanks for the info.
I believe you're confusing a couple things. A connection does not 'have' a resolution per se, it's the screen that has a resolution. A video source (pc, dvd player etc) will output a specific resolution to the connected screen (computer monitor, plasma HDTV etc). Ideally, you want to match these two resolutions. This basically means that you want to send to the screen its original or 'native' resolution, so that it doesn't have to rework (scale) the video source being sent to it.
The problem with HDMI so far is that on some screens, certain resolutions won't be displayed on the screen. It seems like using the analog connection (VGA 15 pin, used in computers for the passed 2 decades) is a safer bet.
On the other hand, HDMI doesn't require analog to digital conversation as the signal is kept to the digital domain which means slightly improved quality. I also already own a good 6 meter HDMI cable so im thinking of buying a graphics card with HDMI out so I can use the cable.

basite
12-13-2010, 01:53 PM
I believe you're confusing a couple things. A connection does not 'have' a resolution per se, it's the screen that has a resolution. A video source (pc, dvd player etc) will output a specific resolution to the connected screen (computer monitor, plasma HDTV etc). Ideally, you want to match these two resolutions. This basically means that you want to send to the screen its original or 'native' resolution, so that it doesn't have to rework (scale) the video source being sent to it.
The problem with HDMI so far is that on some screens, certain resolutions won't be displayed on the screen. It seems like using the analog connection (VGA 15 pin, used in computers for the passed 2 decades) is a safer bet.
On the other hand, HDMI doesn't require analog to digital conversation as the signal is kept to the digital domain which means slightly improved quality. I also already own a good 6 meter HDMI cable so im thinking of buying a graphics card with HDMI out so I can use the cable.

no, sorry, the connection does not have any resolution per se, but you said the DVI/HDMI input on your plasma gave you a native resolution of 1365x768p, or that's what I understood :)

VGA is not a safer bet per se, you indeed need D/A conversion and A/D conversion in the plasma, and your PC graphics card isn't really that high quality on AD conversion...

That said, I'd also go for a graphics card with HDMI output, & connect it to the plasma with that, and use the plasma's native resolution... I use a HDMI cable too from the PC to our projector, and I can use every resolution ranging between 640*480 and 1600*1200, including 720p and 1080p :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

pixelthis
12-13-2010, 02:46 PM

Just get a card with HDMI out. When hooked to your monitor it should handshake and
set the rez on your computer automatically. At least thats what it did on mine.
I WAS ALSO able to choose "HDMI" sound on one menu. No worries after that.
HDMI is the way to go.Sure you're only 720p, but you want all of that rez while downloading HD video off of the net.
Also on a receiver with HDMI switching its more integrated, I push the button for computer
and there I am.
Good luck.:1:

audio amateur
12-14-2010, 01:12 AM
no, sorry, the connection does not have any resolution per se, but you said the DVI/HDMI input on your plasma gave you a native resolution of 1365x768p, or that's what I understood :)
Yeah, what I wrote was a bit confusing. I was just mentioning that the first HDMI input was also supposed to serve as the DVI input (even though physically it is only HDMI), so it is probably more geared to be connected with a pc. Then I went on to mention the resolution of the screen.

That said, I'd also go for a graphics card with HDMI output, & connect it to the plasma with that, and use the plasma's native resolution... I use a HDMI cable too from the PC to our projector, and I can use every resolution ranging between 640*480 and 1600*1200, including 720p and 1080p :)
That's good to know. When connecting your projector to your pc, i recommend you find out the exact resolution of your projector, and then set the output resolution of your graphics card to that of your projector. You will notice the picture is super sharp, so things like text and word documents will look especially clear.

audio amateur
12-14-2010, 01:14 AM
Just get a card with HDMI out. When hooked to your monitor it should handshake and
set the rez on your computer automatically. At least thats what it did on mine.
I WAS ALSO able to choose "HDMI" sound on one menu. No worries after that.
HDMI is the way to go.Sure you're only 720p, but you want all of that rez while downloading HD video off of the net.
Also on a receiver with HDMI switching its more integrated, I push the button for computer
and there I am.
Good luck.:1:
Thanks dude. Im thinking ill get a card with both VGA and HDMI outputs, so i can be safe. I didnt realise you could get the two connections together but you can.

basite
12-14-2010, 10:27 AM
That's good to know. When connecting your projector to your pc, i recommend you find out the exact resolution of your projector, and then set the output resolution of your graphics card to that of your projector. You will notice the picture is super sharp, so things like text and word documents will look especially clear.

720p works best here :p

don't need more, projected "screen" (shining on a wall) is "only" 80" (do mind, that is BIG, considering the room :D)

Thanks dude. Im thinking ill get a card with both VGA and HDMI outputs, so i can be safe. I didnt realise you could get the two connections together but you can.

one minor thing, forget the VGA output (the blue one, 15 pins), it's being phased out anyway. either get DVI +DVI + HDMI, or DVI + HDMI, a dvi port carries both the analog (VGA) as the digital connection, so you're better off with that, if you want to use VGA then (only when you have to, actually, if you can, use either HDMI or DVI), you can put on the supplied adapter, which then transmits the analog signal...

Have fun :)
Keep them spinning,
Bert.

pixelthis
12-14-2010, 02:39 PM

MOST LIKELY it will be DVI and HDMI, my card doesnt even have VGA, and I don't miss it.
But if you insist on yesterdays tech you can get a DVI/VGA adapter, the card might even come with one. But since most dedicated computer monitors have DVI and its better,
and an adapter allows dvi to be used with an HDMI cable (with no sound) VGA is really
horse and buggy, analog in a digital world.
TRUST me , you don't need it.:1:

audio amateur
12-15-2010, 02:19 AM
720p works best here :p

don't need more, projected "screen" (shining on a wall) is "only" 80" (do mind, that is BIG, considering the room :D)
That's huge indeed;) Before buying the plasma for my bedroom, I wanted a projector but i figured out that i would be sitting to close to the screen, given the focal length of the projector that I had in mind. What's the model of your projector? i was looking at the Optoma HD-20 at the time...

audio amateur
12-15-2010, 02:20 AM
MOST LIKELY it will be DVI and HDMI, my card doesnt even have VGA, and I don't miss it.
But if you insist on yesterdays tech you can get a DVI/VGA adapter, the card might even come with one. But since most dedicated computer monitors have DVI and its better,
and an adapter allows dvi to be used with an HDMI cable (with no sound) VGA is really
horse and buggy, analog in a digital world.
TRUST me , you don't need it.:1:
Ive been looking at some cards and a lot of them feature both VGA and HDMI outputs. Might as well go with both given the option :)

basite
12-15-2010, 02:48 AM
That's huge indeed;) Before buying the plasma for my bedroom, I wanted a projector but i figured out that i would be sitting to close to the screen, given the focal length of the projector that I had in mind. What's the model of your projector? i was looking at the Optoma HD-20 at the time...

it's nothing special per se, a Benq W600 :)

bought it together with my brother, we're doing the attic, building a "full blown" home theatre, on a serious budget, so, a "cheapish"' projector :D

it works excellent though :)

we're 3 metres away from the projection wall, so it sorta works out good :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

audio amateur
12-16-2010, 12:45 AM
we're 3 metres away from the projection wall, so it sorta works out good :)
Nice... i would have been sitting even closer to a similar sized projection screen if I had bought the Optoma... Anything under 1080p wouldn't have been watchable.

Besides, my plasma is 3D ready. Just need to pay for those glasses :D

evilspoons
12-30-2010, 11:46 AM
FWIW, although this has already been mentioned, it should be noted that DVI ports on video cards already carry the VGA signal in them, the pin-out is just different.. You can read up on DVI-I vs DVI-D on Wikipedia, but all you need for VGA is a DVI-I to VGA adapter and the video card will switch over automatically.

But don't do this. Use DVI.

(Video cards that have VGA ports on them physically vs. two DVI or one HDMI and one DVI tend to be lower-end cards, too.)

The "HDMI/DVI" port probably has an audio input associated with it for the DVI-only connections; even if you have an HDMI connector at both ends it still may be sending DVI-style data over the connection (depending on how goofy the handshaking of the TV is). But that's OK, your video will look fine. Hopefully the TV is smart enough to say "I can do 1366x768 natively in addition to accepting 1280x720 and 1920x1080". This is what it should do in theory, but practice is another thing entirely.

pixelthis
12-30-2010, 12:11 PM
FWIW, although this has already been mentioned, it should be noted that DVI ports on video cards already carry the VGA signal in them, the pin-out is just different.. You can read up on DVI-I vs DVI-D on Wikipedia, but all you need for VGA is a DVI-I to VGA adapter and the video card will switch over automatically.

But don't do this. Use DVI.

(Video cards that have VGA ports on them physically vs. two DVI or one HDMI and one DVI tend to be lower-end cards, too.)

The "HDMI/DVI" port probably has an audio input associated with it for the DVI-only connections; even if you have an HDMI connector at both ends it still may be sending DVI-style data over the connection (depending on how goofy the handshaking of the TV is). But that's OK, your video will look fine. Hopefully the TV is smart enough to say "I can do 1366x768 natively in addition to accepting 1280x720 and 1920x1080". This is what it should do in theory, but practice is another thing entirely.

Its pretty much seamless.
My new set has dvi/hdmi input also, this is for legacy devices with dvi.
One thing, whatever the native res on your set, that is what it will scale computer data to.
And if you are buying a video card...GET ONE WITH HDMI.
WHY would you get anything else?
VGA? Analog, been around forever. Wont work with most receivers video switching.
No audio, of course. Analog has to be converted to digital for most modern monitors and TV sets.
DVI? HDMI without the audio and handshaking capabilities .
HDMI is seamless, run a HDMI from the back of the computer to your receiver or TV.
You may have to reboot to get the audio started, or choose it from your audio menu.
THATS IT. Great digital video from your computer. With new video cards being silly cheap, and most laptops including HDMI there is no reason for anything else.
HDMI is the way to go.:1: