Channel Changing Time [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Channel Changing Time

Hal
12-12-2010, 05:55 AM
I'm sure that there is a technical word for this, but I just don't know it. By this I mean the time it takes to change channels.

In the old days of television, you changed the channel and the new channel's program appeared instantly. But in the world of LCD televisions there is a delay of a few seconds. Is there a name for this effect? Will the delay ever be eliminated?

Thanks.

Mr Peabody
12-12-2010, 07:39 AM
If you are using a cable or satelite receiver it's their fault not the TV. I have not noticed any slow channel changes on my LCD when just using an antenna or straight cable feed. I think the slow channel change with the boxes are something we just have to live with. I've had Dishnet and cable, both were very slow to change channels. If you are experiencing slow channel change with a straight cable or antenna in it may just be your brand.

frenchmon
12-12-2010, 08:38 AM
I have U-Verse and there is no delay.

Mr Peabody
12-12-2010, 01:53 PM
U-verse? I'm envious, not set up in my neighborhood yet. How do you like it?

Hal
12-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Is U-verse like FIOS? FIOS was just installed in my building. If I switch to it will I avoid the delay when switching channels?

thekid
12-12-2010, 03:49 PM
In the old days of television, you changed the channel and the new channel's program appeared instantly. But in the world of LCD televisions there is a delay of a few seconds. Is there a name for this effect? Will the delay ever be eliminated?
Thanks.

In the old days the delay in viewing the channel was actually caused by the distance between the couch and the tuner on the TV when you had to get up and actually change the channel...... and oh by the way there were only about 5-7 channels to chose from..... :wink5:

Mr Peabody
12-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Who got off the couch to change channels, LOL, that was my dad's reason for having kids.

U-verse, is AT&T's fiber optic programming service. I'm not familiar with your service so can't compare. What do you use now?

Woochifer
12-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Who got off the couch to change channels, LOL, that was my dad's reason for having kids.

U-verse, is AT&T's fiber optic programming service. I'm not familiar with your service so can't compare. What do you use now?

FiOS is a true fiber optic service, U-Verse is not because it still relies on copper wire to run the signal into the house.

Woochifer
12-16-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm sure that there is a technical word for this, but I just don't know it. By this I mean the time it takes to change channels.

Thanks.

I don't think you'll ever eliminate the delay, especially if you're using an encrypted digital video connection like HDMI. Due to copy protection, digital HD signals from different devices need to negotiate a "handshake" before the picture will display. The delay will also vary depending on if you choose to output the source signal in its native resolution. This forces the TV to check and rescale the image every time you change the channel.