It really is somethin' else...... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : It really is somethin' else......

MasterCylinder
12-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Been listening lately to Cannonball Adderley's SOMETHIN' ELSE..............
(1999 RVG Edition Remaster).
Good stuff, all around.
Miles Davis -- Hank Jones -- Sam Jones -- Art Blakey
Original cut on Blue Note, 1958...................nice !
One of the all-time great jazz albums.
Highly recommended for self-purchase or Christmas gift.

noddin0ff
12-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Totally agree. In fact, I'm gonna go put it on right now.

3LB
12-10-2010, 08:40 AM
I've been on a 1959 kick of late:

Miles - Kinda Blue
Brubeck - Time Out
Mingus - Ah Um
Coltrane - Giant Steps
Getz - Imported From Europe
Bill Evans Trio - Portrait In Jazz
Chet Baker - Milan
Curtis Fuller - Blues-ette
Horace Silver - Blowin The Blues Away
Ornette Coleman - Shape of Jazz to Come

I have two others on order:

Oscar Peterson - plays Cole Porter Songbook
Ben Webster - Meets Oscar Peterson

and, what the hell - I ordered Something Else as well. Wow, was the late '50s a great era for jazz or what?

noddin0ff
12-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Nice list. It more than blankets my collection of 1959...except for
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Q3CGAFT3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I just love the first track. :-)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q6Q66LeqYA8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q6Q66LeqYA8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Jack in Wilmington
12-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Good choice. I'm sitting here spinning my wheels. Listen to music, watch TV, read the paper. That made my mind up. I have it on DVD-A. Not much going on in the rear speakers on this one, but across the front is a huge soundstage. Now I'll open one of the wines I picked out this evening. Smooth.

MindGoneHaywire
12-11-2010, 01:34 AM
There is a legend that this was really a Miles date that had to be issued under Adderley's name due to contractual considerations, Miles being on Columbia at the time, of course.

It's a great album any way you slice it, but the point is that some consider this to be an album best thought of as part of Miles' catalog--and legacy, at least in terms of what he was doing at the time.

Considering that he had been doing Milestones & Porgy & Bess, and then of course Kind Of Blue followed by Sketches of Spain (plus the French movie soundtrack & live stuff that ended up on 'The '58 Sessions'), it's almost inconceivable to add another record into that time frame, especially one as good as Somethin' Else.

MasterCylinder
12-11-2010, 06:06 AM
There is a legend that this was really a Miles date that had to be issued under Adderley's name due to contractual considerations, Miles being on Columbia at the time, of course.

It's a great album any way you slice it, but the point is that some consider this to be an album best thought of as part of Miles' catalog--and legacy, at least in terms of what he was doing at the time.

Considering that he had been doing Milestones & Porgy & Bess, and then of course Kind Of Blue followed by Sketches of Spain (plus the French movie soundtrack & live stuff that ended up on 'The '58 Sessions'), it's almost inconceivable to add another record into that time frame, especially one as good as Somethin' Else.

I've heard this info before............good stuff.
Miles was most productive during this period.