Transporting ribbon tweeter [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Transporting ribbon tweeter

K-High-Fi
12-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Hello to all,

I have question regarding transport my MG-20 speaker to another place, when I remove the ribbon tweeter I think I must put it in its original packing, what I would to know do I must put back the protective cover ?

I’m asking this because in the manual didn’t mention this in removal. I guess I must put back the protective cover to protect ribbon tweeter from damaging.

Anyone care to answer?
Many thanks to all.

Geoffcin
12-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Hello to all,

I have question regarding transport my MG-20 speaker to another place, when I remove the ribbon tweeter I think I must put it in its original packing, what I would to know do I must put back the protective cover ?

I’m asking this because in the manual didn’t mention this in removal. I guess I must put back the protective cover to protect ribbon tweeter from damaging.

Anyone care to answer?
Many thanks to all.

Yes, all Magnepan speakers with the true ribbon tweeter come with "keepers" that fit over the tweeter aperture. They should stick by magnetic tension right to the surface of the tweeter enclosure. If you have the original packing then that is what you want to use for transport.

K-High-Fi
12-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Thank you very much Geoffcin for reply. :) I know ribbon tweeter is quit fragile, so may I ask when I fit the protective cover ( keepers ) should I push it too hard in order to make ribbon surface stick with the ( keepers ) or just push it slightly?

Another question, I lost the panel packaging, since my transporting short I was thinking to use thick fabric and place it in both side on the panels. I hope that should be fine.

Many thanks.

K-High-Fi
12-13-2010, 03:39 AM
Please forget my last quastion, i found very easy to install the keepers. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks to all. :)

Raj J
12-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Hello to all,

Anyone care to answer?
Many thanks to all.

hey mate, you have the MG20 speakers! these are top of the line magneplanar ribbon speakers - precision musical instruments and must be carefully looked after, which you don't seem to have the extra care for...
I have a few concerns regarding your care for these:

1. you have NOT read the owner's manual carefully, nor have you been able to understand it too well either - please read the owner's manual!

2. you mentioned that you don't have the original packing - in the owner's manual it clearly states when shipping or relocating the speakers please use the protective ribbon tweeter strips and original packing/carton. if you don't have the original packing then you have to order one from Magnepan!

3. magnepan DOES NOT recommend moving these speakers any other way, the only way is to use the original packing with the protective tweeter covers; if you really care about these speakers, then you would make the extra effort to know what to do.
you seem pretty clueless!

I have used magneplanars for over 20 years, since 1986. I was going to purchase the new MG20.1 until I audtioned the new Quad ESL 2905, which I purchased instead.
anyway, at the end of the day - all panel speakers when designed well such as (martin logan, Estat, Apogee, magneplanar, Inner sound, sound by Sanders, sound lab, Quad etc) are all very fine musical instruments that require proper set up and special care. even if you sneeze or blow a fan directly onto the magneplanars it can cause the ribbon tweeter to break, they are extremely fragile!

if you don't want to take the time to know this, then you shouldn't be using these kind of speakers, you're better off using dynamic types.

sorry for being too blunt, but I think what I am saying is quite honest!
and by the way, how could you possibly lose a packing that is 7 feet tall and nearly 3 feet wide?!!!
Raj J