Adios, 2010 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Adios, 2010

tentoze
12-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Hola, Rave Wreckers. Here's my unsolicited almost 19 Best Of's for 2010:

19) Tindersticks~ Falling Down A Mountain- "Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in."
18) Ben Sollee & Daniel Martin Moore~ Dear Companion- So shoot me, anyone who can figure out how to make a cello work this well is OK by me
17) Jakob Dylan~ Women and Country
16) Bonnie Prince Billy & The Cairo Gang~ Wonder Show of the World
15) Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings~ I Learned The Hard Way- Solid, but I still have some nagging doubts.
14) Mynabirds~ What We Lose in the Fire We Gain in the Flood
13) Solomon Burke~ Nothing's Impossible
12) Gil Scott-Heron~ I'm New Here- Gets the Survivor Award.
11) Deer Tick~ The Black Dirt Sessions
10) Trampled By Turtles~ Palomino- Acid Bluegrass. Who'da thunk.

There is no #9. I hate 9.

8) Carolina Chocolate Drops~ Genuine Negro Jig- Because I like it, that's why.
7) Richard Thompson~ Dream Attic- Bringing terrific new songs in a live setting.
6) J. J. Grey & Mofro~ Georgia Warhorse- local boy sings soulful, swampy songs. A very good next-step album.
5) Ray Wylie Hubbard~ A. Enlightenment B. Endarkenment (Hint: There Is No C)- Texas music still sways me. Ray Wylie wakes up. Also, best album cover.
4) Mary Gauthier~ The Foundling- Still my favorite lesbian singer/songwriter.
3) Two Cow Garage~ Sweet Saint Me- Maybe not a TOTAL surprise relative to their previous albums, but considerably more than an incremental progression. Blasting-down-I-95-in-a-drop-top-442 music.
2) Bobby Bare Jr.~ A Storm, A Tree, My Mother's Head- Wherein the artist moves beyond the songs of wry observation where he lived up until now.
1) Josh Ritter~ So Runs The World Away- So runs the album away from the rest of the pack.

Best seasonal festivities to all of you.

Slosh
12-08-2010, 01:33 PM
There is no #9. I hate 9.
I hate Revolution 9.

Don't ever lose a toe and have to change your screen name.

3LB
12-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Bobby Bare Jr? seriously, or is it just one of those ironic band names?

Hyfi
12-14-2010, 09:25 AM
Hey Ten...finally a list that I actually have heard of 3 artists.

Stone
12-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Uh, son of a guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Bare) who has been playing and recording music for a very long time.

3LB
12-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Uh, son of a guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Bare) who has been playing and recording music for a very long time.I am aware of Bobby Bare. My trucker dad had a couple of his 8-tracks. I didn't know he had a junior though. My mom had this 45 single that Bare put out decades ago with one of his kids on it (really sappy IIRC) - I wonder if it was Jr... (checks wiki) Why yes it was indeed Jr. Yeah, "Daddy What If"... what a blast from the past. And yep, perty insufferable rekkid. I haven't heard the modern day BBJr.