It was 30 years ago today... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : It was 30 years ago today...

ForeverAutumn
12-08-2010, 06:21 AM
30 years ago today John Lennon was killed. For those of us old enough to remember it, it was a shocking event and most people know exactly where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news.

So where were you? What were you doing? And how did you feel?

Slosh
12-08-2010, 01:38 PM
I was 12 and like a lot of people heard about it via Monday Night Football.

At the time I was too into metal to much care about my parent's music.

MasterCylinder
12-08-2010, 02:16 PM
In college................the news pissed me off.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/stopthepresses/335127/rolling-stone-to-release-john-lennons-final-print-interview-30-years-later/

dean_martin
12-08-2010, 02:51 PM
I was 12 and like a lot of people heard about it via Monday Night Football.

At the time I was too into metal to much care about my parent's music.

Wow, same age here. And yes heard it during MNF. My mom had "Meet the Beatles" that I'd listen to after school on the old stereo console while nobody else was at home.

But I didn't really begin to appreciate his art and music 'til later. When I was 15 I went on a trip to New Orleans with my parents. They gave me some free time. I was checking out the shops and galleries on Royal St. - a block over from Bourbon in the French Quarter - when I popped into a gallery with a collection of John Lennon's lithographs on display. It was totally unexpected and a personal discovery in its purest sense. I've thought about that experience for years. That was the jump start for me for the Beatles, John Lennon and George Harrison - uh, Paul and Ringo not so much. I grew up thinking a Beatles fan had to be either in the John camp or the Paul camp and lived it.

Rae
12-08-2010, 03:41 PM
At the time I was too into metal

At the time, I was too fetal.

~Rae

Mr MidFi
12-09-2010, 07:04 AM
I was 17 and heard it from Howard Cosell, like most folks. I was working in a record store back then. When I went to work the following afternoon, the day manager wished me luck as he hurried out the door.

"How quickly did the Lennon albums sell out?' I asked him.

"Before opening" he said. "They started lining up before sunrise. I couldn't just let them sit out there on the sidewalk."

By the time my shift began, someone had constructed a makeshift shrine in his empty LP bin. No fewer than 100 people asked me where the Lennon and/or Beatles records were that day. All left the store empty-handed and disappointed.

Stone
12-09-2010, 10:11 AM
I was 10 and heard it on the news the following morning. I remember taking a cassette of Beatles and John Lennon music into school a day or two later for all of us to listen to (it was even allowed in the Catholic grade school I was attending after the historic event), as I was the resident music geek even back then.

Swish
12-09-2010, 11:12 AM
It was a sad day indeed. I grew up with the Beatles, who were my favorites for some time.

3LB
12-09-2010, 12:49 PM
I was 15 and my older brother had just heard it (he was married) on MNF and called me at home. I started flipping channels and found one showing the news. I remember getting up early the next day and catching one of the early morning news shows. Of course, all stations were reporting it by then.

Rae
12-09-2010, 04:49 PM
I wish I'd posted yesterday that I thought this thread wuz gonna be about Darby Crash.

~Rae

Swish
12-09-2010, 05:03 PM
I wish I'd posted yesterday that I thought this thread wuz gonna be about Darby Crash.

~Rae

...who died before you were born?

Smokey
12-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Damn, some of you guys are really old. I'm not touching this thread :D

Rae
12-09-2010, 06:05 PM
...who died before you were born?

As to the matter of my youth, let it only be said that you mock that which you cannot have.

~Rae

Stone
12-10-2010, 06:14 AM
As to the matter of my youth, let it only be said that you mock that which you cannot have.

~Rae

Shut up and get me my walker.

nobody
12-10-2010, 07:03 AM
I think the main thing we can all agree on is that Ringo is still alive and that's what's really important.

Rae
12-10-2010, 08:05 AM
Oh man, does anyone else remember when George died and The Onion ran a sidebar headline that just said "Ringo Next"?

~Rae