Best HDTV of the year [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best HDTV of the year

Smokey
12-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Televisioninfo.com web site which evaluate HDTVs regularly have chosen their HDTV pick of the year for 2010.

For 50 inch and higher they pick:

Sony Bravia XBR-52HX909 – $3,599.99
The Sony Bravia XBR-52HX909 is just a really well-rounded HDTV. It got some impressive results on our performance tests, such as a high contrast ratio and accurate color performance. The TV can also do 3D, but it wasn't particularly great in that regard.

Runner up – Vizio XVT553SV – $1749.99
The TV really didn't have any downsides, but the XBR-52HX909 had better online features and 3D capability. If you don't mind missing out on those features, though, the XVT553SV is a much more affordable purchase.

For 40 inch and above:

Samsung UN46C7100 – $1599.99
Our pick for TV of the Year has to excel in a lot of different ways. It has to have a great picture, an interesting feature set, and not be grossly overpriced for what it offers.

Runner up – Panasonic TC-P42GT25 – $1429.99
The Panasonic TC-P42GT25 was another great all-around 3D HDTV. While it's 3D performance was much better than what we saw on the UN46C7100, it's overall picture quality wasn't quite as good and Panasonic's online content is slightly lacking compared to Samsung's.

Runner up – Samsung LN40C630 – $697.99
The Samsung LN40C630 has everything you'd want: great picture quality, an extensive line-up of online content, and a relatively low price given its size and feature set. The TV's only real downside: its dynamic backlight can't be completely shut off.

In 32 inch range:

Sony KDL-32EX700 – $699.88
This TV gives you a very deep black level, a high overall contrast ratio, great color accuracy, and allows you to connect to the best selection of online content currently being offered.

Runner up- Vizio E320VL – $357.99
The Vizio E320VL is the best value out of any HDTVs we've reviewed this year. Sure, it didn't have the best picture quality, and it wasn't even the least expensive. It did, however, offer the best picture quality for its price.

Runner up – LG 32LD350 – $407.99
The 32LD350 has all the same benefits as the E320VL, only it costs just a bit more for a small jump in quality.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/2010-Televisioninfo-Com-Selects.htm

TheHills44060
12-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Got my first HDTV recently I was very overwhelmed when researching. I am not expert in this area by any means and the more I looked the more I realized I had to make compromises. Buying a middle of the road tv set meant i had to prioritize what features meant most to me and I found myself relying heavily on reviews which is something I rarely do for audio equipment. I remember reading very good things about the Vizio XVT553SV.

pixelthis
12-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Glad to see Vizio drew some blood in these picks, exelent TV for the price.
Thats why they sell so many of them.
BTW Smoke, which TV did you say you finally bought? Buying an interim set right now
is a good strategy what with so much shaking out in tech going on..:1:

Smokey
12-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Got my first HDTV recently I was very overwhelmed when researching.

Other than user's reviews, it is really hard to find professional reviews of run-of-mill TVs. Most of them tend to review higher end TVs, or niche new TV's gadget.

AVSForum is also pretty good, but some of the members think too much of themselves.

BTW Smoke, which TV did you say you finally bought?

Haven't said it yet. I'm waiting for the new format :D

harley .guy07
12-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Glad to see Samsung win top honors in the size of tv that mine is. In fact My Led is an earlier model of that exact television. I am a big fan of Samsung tv's and seeing that they were a small electronics and phone systems manufacturer in the 90's and came up to where they are now. I did a lot of searching and homework before I purchased mine and your ratings just back up my choice.

pixelthis
12-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Other than user's reviews, it is really hard to find professional reviews of run-of-mill TVs. Most of them tend to review higher end TVs, or niche new TV's gadget.

AVSForum is also pretty good, but some of the members think too much of themselves.

Haven't said it yet. I'm waiting for the new format :D

I always wondered who that guy was who waited until 1989 to buy a color TV, waiting for
them to "iron out the kinks".
Glad to finally meet him.:1:

Nasir
12-08-2010, 03:24 PM
I am from Portugal, and am hard pressed to find LED and LCD that in my humble opinion can beat the Philips offerings. It seems that Philips came a bit late to the 1080 Full HD panels and again to the 3D parties, but their products when they finally hit the shelves are stunning. OK, they are pricey, and have a full LED backlight as well as cheaper edge lit LED panels. But to my amazement, have released the 3D capable TV with a matte-screen!!! Oh yes, the price too seems over the top with a whopping 1000 Euro ( 1400 USD ) difference in price compared to their other competitors in the respectable size and functionality of 3D TV. So, what do you get for paying the extra dollars, you ask ? The answer my friends is blowing in the wind... 0.5ms response time ( the fastest panel ), Perfect everything software ( Perfect Pixel, Perfect Motion....), Full LED backlight, AMBILIGHT and Matte-screen ( extremely low reflection screen compared to glass panel like reflection screens from the competition ). And to top it all off, the EISA award for best TV.
All said, I am NOT parting with my cash until they bring the price down to realistic levels AND considering the fact that there is not a proper 3D review of the TV. Anybody who knows better, please point me to the respective sites, THANK YOU!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-09-2010, 09:11 AM
I am from Portugal, and am hard pressed to find LED and LCD that in my humble opinion can beat the Philips offerings. It seems that Philips came a bit late to the 1080 Full HD panels and again to the 3D parties, but their products when they finally hit the shelves are stunning. OK, they are pricey, and have a full LED backlight as well as cheaper edge lit LED panels. But to my amazement, have released the 3D capable TV with a matte-screen!!! Oh yes, the price too seems over the top with a whopping 1000 Euro ( 1400 USD ) difference in price compared to their other competitors in the respectable size and functionality of 3D TV. So, what do you get for paying the extra dollars, you ask ? The answer my friends is blowing in the wind... 0.5ms response time ( the fastest panel ), Perfect everything software ( Perfect Pixel, Perfect Motion....), Full LED backlight, AMBILIGHT and Matte-screen ( extremely low reflection screen compared to glass panel like reflection screens from the competition ). And to top it all off, the EISA award for best TV.
All said, I am NOT parting with my cash until they bring the price down to realistic levels AND considering the fact that there is not a proper 3D review of the TV. Anybody who knows better, please point me to the respective sites, THANK YOU!

Let's bring a little reality here. No consumer LCD panel has a .5ms response time....ZERO. So lets get that market bs out of the equation. There is only two LCD panels on the market that have less than 1ms response time(actually verified, not marketing propaganda) and those are Sony professional panels that costs more than $40,000.

Pixel perfect and perfect motion are not actual descriptions of the processing, just names. They are in no way perfect, as is none of the processing on any consumer television is.

The Philips brand is quite frankly a second tier brand, in the same vein as LG and Sharp. It is not a first tier brand like Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic.

pixelthis
12-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Let's bring a little reality here. No consumer LCD panel has a .5ms response time....ZERO. So lets get that market bs out of the equation. There is only two LCD panels on the market that have less than 1ms response time(actually verified, not marketing propaganda) and those are Sony professional panels that costs more than $40,000.

Pixel perfect and perfect motion are not actual descriptions of the processing, just names. They are in no way perfect, as is none of the processing on any consumer television is.

The Philips brand is quite frankly a second tier brand, in the same vein as LG and Sharp. It is not a first tier brand like Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic.

LG and Sharp are hardly "second tier brands", although I was wondering how long after I BOUGHT an LG that it would take for you to slam the brand.
As for PHILLIPS, a friend who bought one was so impressed that he actually considered
trading it out with his main set (a Samsung), in his living room. I was less so , but
it is still an outstanding set for the price(a tad above Vizio).
L.G, however, has more accurate color. Of course, no panel is going to beat your
antique CRT p,o.s.:1:

12-09-2010, 12:00 PM
LG and Sharp are hardly "second tier brands", although I was wondering how long after I BOUGHT an LG that it would take for you to slam the brand.
As for PHILLIPS, a friend who bought one was so impressed that he actually considered
trading it out with his main set (a Samsung), in his living room. I was less so , but
it is still an outstanding set for the price(a tad above Vizio).
L.G, however, has more accurate color. Of course, no panel is going to beat your
antique CRT p,o.s.:1:

Maybe to your low standards LG and Sharp aren't second tier brands. You are not performance oriented, you are budget oriented. When you start talking about actual performance, LG and Sharp are not in the same class as Samsung, Sony and Panasonic. LG and Sharp do not even rise to the performance of Pioneers Kuro's brand, and they have been off the market for two years now.

Who gives a damn that you bought a LG? I don't really think I slammed the brand, I gave it an honest accessment as it stands up to the competition performance wise. Do you really think I slammed it because you bought it?

I think you are overstating your influence here...I have dismissed your taste in everything from audio to video based on your over simplistic and often incorrect evaluations you have posted here. It is clear to me(and many others here) that you know so little about either, that you opinions can be so quickly dismissed, that you don't remember them a millisecond after they are posted.

Garbage in, garbage out, that is the best assessment that I can give your opinions.

And you are right, no POS panel will outperform my POS CRT. And a second tier POS panel will not even come close.

Have a great day Pixie!

Smokey
12-09-2010, 03:58 PM

Hey sir TT

Philips brand [USA] can be called second tier since it exist only in name, but can Sharp and LG be called that too. What is the meaning of second tier anyway? :)

Of course, no panel is going to beat your antique CRT p,o.s.

Hey, watch it!

I'm still watching antique CRT :prrr:

woofersus
12-09-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm just about to move on from my antique CRT HDTV myself.

I'm not sure the "tier" thing is totally clear but Samsung and Sony are much larger companies. One could argue, though, that Sharp makes their own panels while Sony does not. I think they all have their hits and misses.

12-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Hey sir TT

Philips brand [USA] can be called second tier since it exist only in name, but can Sharp and LG be called that too. What is the meaning of second tier anyway? :)

Smoke, it is not in the name, it is in the performance of the panel and processing that determines which tier you are in.

While it has been firmly established that only about 5 manufacturers make panels for everyone(both LCD and Plasma's), those panels are not of the same quality construction, or use the same parts for that matter. When Sony, Samsung, or Panasonic orders panels from these OEM manufacturers, they order panels with specific tolerances(usually custom manufactured in large quantities) with high quality parts, that are to be used with the highest quality processing which these top tier CE companies design themselves. In other words, there is a synergistic marriage of the panel and the processing that is determined in the design phase all the way through manufacture. This is why their panels always are always the top performing LCD and Plasma panels on the market.

The second and third tier manufacturers take a different approach. The just purchase the basic OEM panel, and design their processing to work with that panel that usually consists of cheaper parts, and manufacture with less emphasis on the tolerance levels of the parts and panels. Most second and third tier manufacturers do not have design teams, manufacturing facilities, or in house customer service centers. That means reliability of the panel(from sample to sample, and lot to lot) is often less consistent, and getting them fixed after they break down is more of a hassle, if existent at all. Vizio, Westinghouse, Insignia, Apex, Coby all fall into the latter. The second tier CE companies may offer better customer service, and a more reliable panel overall than the third tier, but panel performance is noticeably less than the first tier CE companies.

dean_martin
12-09-2010, 06:28 PM
I wonder if Sir T is referring to the Portuguese market as the relatively new poster he slammed is from Portugal.

Sir T, your knowledge is invaluable and I always read your posts on topics and products I'm interested in but it might be time for an intervention with regard to your dream-quashing lack of diplomacy. I'm sure many here (and I don't mean Pix, he's in a category unto himself) can share stories of how you hurt them and quashed their dreams of owning the best tv, blu-ray player, etc. or their dreams of even understanding what the hell we're talking about here. But I've never participated in an intervention or watched one on tv so I don't know how to get it started.

BTW, thanks again Smoke. That 40" Samsung for $697 looks like a good replacement for the pos crt in my bedroom.

Smokey
12-09-2010, 06:44 PM
I'm not sure the "tier" thing is totally clear but Samsung and Sony are much larger companies. One could argue, though, that Sharp makes their own panels while Sony does not. I think they all have their hits and misses.

If we go to oversea TV market [whole Asia], the "tier" picture become even less clear as LG have locked up market for the mid to lower end market for TVs. But of course price proceed the performance in that market.

The second tier CE companies may offer better customer service, and a more reliable panel overall than the third tier, but panel performance is noticeably less than the first tier CE companies.

I would say that is a fair statement since we can't go by price difference as sometimes there is none. Sometimes second tiers are more expensive :)

But LG seem to make some headway as their TV was first in USA to receive THX Display Certification (correct gamma, luminance, and color temperature).

Smokey
12-09-2010, 06:50 PM
BTW, thanks again Smoke. That 40" Samsung for $697 looks like a good replacement for the pos crt in my bedroom.

If it is for bedroom, you may also want to check out Samsung new 40 inch LCD LN40C500 for $500. Very short on inputs though.

12-09-2010, 06:58 PM
I wonder if Sir T is referring to the Portuguese market as the relatively new poster he slammed is from Portugal.

Dean, Nasir is not new to the HT forum, we have interacted before.

Sir T, your knowledge is invaluable and I always read your posts on topics and products I'm interested in but it might be time for an intervention with regard to your dream-quashing lack of diplomacy. I'm sure many here (and I don't mean Pix, he's in a category unto himself) can share stories of how you hurt them and quashed their dreams of owning the best tv, blu-ray player, etc. or their dreams of even understanding what the hell we're talking about here. But I've never participated in an intervention or watched one on tv so I don't know how to get it started.

Maybe you should not start at all. Telling somebody the truth is not a slamming, it is just plain telling the truth. Candy coating is not going to make the truth easier to swallow, or magically make it easier to understand. If the truth squashes your dreams of owning the best(rather than making it easier to distinguish what is best), then your feelings are more important than good information.

I have learned to accept everyone's way of delivering information, even Pixes. With that said, others will just have to accept my way of delivering information, or you don't have to read it. I have never asked anyone to change the way they deliver valid and accurate information(except Pix, because his information is neither), so I expect no one to ask me to change mine. I have been on this site since 1996, and I have not been any different than as I am now. In the great words of song writers Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff, "If you don't know me by now, you will never never know me". Dean, you should know me by now.

I leave diplomacy for politicians, it has very little value on A/V forums where folks usually say just about anything, rather than sticking to the facts.

12-09-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm just about to move on from my antique CRT HDTV myself.

I hope this does not squash your dreams of owning a better set. The devil is in the details with this one. Yes Sharp makes their own panels, but their panels are not of the quality that Sony would want to buy for their higher end lines. Samsung makes Sony panels for the mid and lower end lines, and they make their own panels for their higher end and professional models. In saying that, Sony invested big time into a joint venture with Sharp to provide panels for their Bravia line of sets 50" and over. Panasonic makes their own LCD and Plasma panels. LG makes Vizio LCD panels, and their plasma panels are Panasonic seconds(or rejects however you want to describe it).

The fact that Sony and Samsung are number one and two on just about every display test speaks to the excellence of their panel quality and manufacture. With Panasonic making their own, they can control all aspects of quality and consistency which is why their Plasma panels are the best on the market. Sony had to invest almost 1 billion dollars(along with Sharp) to build a new plant for the manufacture of their Bravia line, as Sharps current manufacturing facilities could not produce panels in the quality, and quantity that Sony needed.

12-09-2010, 07:26 PM
I would say that is a fair statement since we can't go by price difference as sometimes there is none. Sometimes second tiers are more expensive :)

Thats true!

But LG seem to make some headway as their TV was first in USA to receive THX Display Certification (correct gamma, luminance, and color temperature).

After the Lexicon debacle with the Bluray player just being an exactly clone of an Oppo with a THX badge slapped on it(it didn't even have the right crossover points), I am less inclined to give the THX badge any credence whatsoever.

I think the proper words would be" at least they PAID for the THX badge".

Gotta keep it real here......

dean_martin
12-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Dean, Nasir is not new to the HT forum, we have interacted before.

Maybe you should not start at all. Telling somebody the truth is not a slamming, it is just plain telling the truth. Candy coating is not going to make the truth easier to swallow, or magically make it easier to understand. If the truth squashes your dreams of owning the best(rather than making it easier to distinguish what is best), then your feelings are more important than good information.

I have learned to accept everyone's way of delivering information, even Pixes. With that said, others will just have to accept my way of delivering information, or you don't have to read it. I have never asked anyone to change the way they deliver valid and accurate information(except Pix, because his information is neither), so I expect no one to ask me to change mine. I have been on this site since 1996, and I have not been any different than as I am now. In the great words of song writers Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff, "If you don't know me by now, you will never never know me". Dean, you should know me by now.

I leave diplomacy for politicians, it has very little value on A/V forums where folks usually say just about anything, rather than sticking to the facts.

Touche'. Carry on, Sir. My imagination got the best of me. I could see the enthusiasm for the Philips tv suddenly turn into gut-wrenching dispair.

12-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Touche'. Carry on, Sir. My imagination got the best of me. I could see the enthusiasm for the Philips tv suddenly turn into gut-wrenching dispair.

LOL

I didn't want to ruin his impression of the set, just give a little reality to dispel their marketing hype(perfect motion???).

pixelthis
12-10-2010, 01:47 PM

YOU SEE...this is the problem.
Everytime this blowhard posts another of his idiotic posts with a bunch of thrown
together "facts" googled from the net, you just have to say how "valuable"
his posts are, when in fact he didnt post anythingf of real knowledge that can be proved at all.
ARE Sharp and LG panels "second rate"? HAS THIS BEEN PROVED?
Of course not, and it can't, its just this sad delusional ill tempered old fart taking
out his frustrations about life on the rest of us.
AND OF COURSE you have to say how "valuable" his nonsense gobldegook crap
is.
HAVE YOU EVER HEARD about not encouraging such anti-social bad behavior?
HOW ABOUT calling him on his "facts". How about asking him where he got such "facts"
from?
HE USED TO SLAM VIZIO, one of the most popular brands in the country , just because I OWNED ONE...and now that I own one of the better brands , he starts slamming that
one, if I BOUGHT one of his POS KUROS, he would slam that one.
WHICH IS WHY I no longer respond to any of his idiotic posts full of made up garbage,
why encourage bad behavior? THATS WHAT HE WANTS.:1:

pixelthis
12-10-2010, 01:52 PM

If you let this troll get into your head you deserve what you get.
I have heard nothing but good things about PHILLIPS, its certainly not the best thats out there,
but it is a fine TV. Dont let an ill tempered old troll get to you.:1:

dean_martin
12-10-2010, 02:55 PM
I was referring more to tone than content, Pix. And, I was needling him a little bit. Slow week which is not good this time of year. It was someone else who was interested in the Phillips TV, not me. I butted in and commented on his tone.

I do most of my own research. It just so happens that if Sir T has commented on a topic or product or process in which I'm interested, I take it into account. It's not the last word but I consider it. Reasonable, don't you think?

Smokey
12-10-2010, 06:11 PM
HE USED TO SLAM VIZIO, one of the most popular brands in the country , just because I OWNED ONE...and now that I own one of the better brands , he starts slamming that.

Heheheh.... I see Sir TT getting to you :D

If you enjoy your TV, that is all that matters.

12-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Heheheh.... I see Sir TT getting to you :D

If you enjoy your TV, that is all that matters.

Kind of arrogant and self centered to think it was all about him. The problem is that he is too cheap to pay for televisions that perform better. Don't hate me because your reach is so low. It just so happens that pix has owned a third tier set, and now a second tier set.

At least he is improving, which isn't saying much..........

Jack in Wilmington
12-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Kind of arrogant and self centered to think it was all about him. The problem is that he is too cheap to pay for televisions that perform better. Don't hate me because your reach is so low. It just so happens that pix has owned a third tier set, and now a second tier set.

At least he is improving, which isn't saying much..........

TT, he may have a bigger problem than being to cheap. He may actually think the LG looks better than the Samsungs and Sonys and that what really bothers him. I'm all for "Buy What You Can Afford", but then don't go around and tell people that it's the best on the market. There are worse things in this world than looking cheap, looking stupid is one of them.

pixelthis
12-12-2010, 02:18 AM
TT, he may have a bigger problem than being to cheap. He may actually think the LG looks better than the Samsungs and Sonys and that what really bothers him. I'm all for "Buy What You Can Afford", but then don't go around and tell people that it's the best on the market. There are worse things in this world than looking cheap, looking stupid is one of them.
"buy what you can afford" eh? I could have bought a Samsung, a Sony, you name it.
Get off of your high horse. I had a 42" 1080p set that, despite TALKYS PROTESTATIONS TO THE CONTRARY was actually a very nice set. Not the best but great for the price.
I still have a 60hz 1080p, the only reason, and I REPEAT ...the only reason I bought
the LG was as an interim set, I REALLY THINK ITS AN EXCELLENT PICTURE.
There is no "third", "second", or even "first" type of TV, thats just talky the troll making stuff up.
Try to tell anybody in the industry that LG is "second tier" and they will laugh at you.
Different brands of TV handle pictures in different ways. The LG is very good in the way it handles color. TALKY slams it because of his insecurities, hes' had his "Kuro"
for awhile, its starting to dim a bit, and he knows he paid top dollar for second rate
plasma crap. Bugs him, I guess.
What a very sad and unhappy man, which is easy to tell by reading his posts.
At first they come off as arrogant, but after awhile you see the bitterness in them.
Sad, really.:1:

Nasir
12-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Hello and thank you for your clinical contribution Sir Terrance the Terrible.
No hard feelings, after all, as one would rather be forewarned before opening the cheque book. Information is what all this forum is about.
As everybody seems to be playing the numbers game, I quoted the publicized 0.5 ms response time...... and as for the perfect pixel and perfect motion software, NO, they are NOT PERFECT, it is the term Philips applies to the software used to distinguish between their flagship and other lower end TVs. So rest easy, NOBODY has the PERFECT everything yet!!!
Also, please note, I have as yet to find a 3D review of any Philips TV, so was hoping for somebody to point me in the right direction. On the other hand, there seem to be enough reviews of other brands for a person to make an informed choice.
OK, the reviews give us an insight to tests most of us don΄t have the time nor resources.

12-12-2010, 04:48 PM
"buy what you can afford" eh? I could have bought a Samsung, a Sony, you name it.
Get off of your high horse. I had a 42" 1080p set that, despite TALKYS PROTESTATIONS TO THE CONTRARY was actually a very nice set. Not the best but great for the price.
I still have a 60hz 1080p, the only reason, and I REPEAT ...the only reason I bought
the LG was as an interim set, I REALLY THINK ITS AN EXCELLENT PICTURE.
There is no "third", "second", or even "first" type of TV, thats just talky the troll making stuff up.

Pix, you are the only idiot that makes his equipment an extension of himself. I think it has an excellent picture is meaningless if you don't calibrate your set, and you have admitted yourself that you don't.

Secondly, Pix there has been tiered manufacturing of televisions for years, and your denial is not going to change that one bit. Both Wooch and I have posted link after link that supports that fact.

Try to tell anybody in the industry that LG is "second tier" and they will laugh at you.
Different brands of TV handle pictures in different ways. The LG is very good in the way it handles color.

Everyone knows that LG is a second tier manufacturer, you know as well, but you are in the deepest part of denial a person can be(almost close to drowning in it as a matter of fact).

TALKY slams it because of his insecurities, hes' had his "Kuro"
for awhile, its starting to dim a bit, and he knows he paid top dollar for second rate
plasma crap. Bugs him, I guess.

My insecurities, over your cheapness? I think not. It would be stupid(and typical of you) to come up with that lame excuse. Vizio is what it is, a third tier television supplier(that don't manufacturer anything). LG is a respectable second tier manufacturer(they do make their own sets).

I actually got my Kuro's at a substantial discount from Best Buy, so your top dollar claim is bogus. The Kuros has never been a second rate plasma, it was, and still is the plasma panel that all others are compared to. It's performance(even after being off the market for two years now) has only been bested by Panasonic 65" professional plasma(of which I also own). No other plasma has yet touched it for performance - especially in contrast, color, and black levels. So much for your uniformed(and ignorant)claims.

What a very sad and unhappy man, which is easy to tell by reading his posts.
At first they come off as arrogant, but after awhile you see the bitterness in them.
Sad, really.:1:

Pix, you need a mirror. I think this is what everyone else thinks about you, except substitute the word arrogant, for damn right pitiful, and it has you pegged.

pixelthis
12-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Pix, you are the only idiot that makes his equipment an extension of himself. I think it has an excellent picture is meaningless if you don't calibrate your set, and you have admitted yourself that you don't.

Picture calibration is increasingly less necessary.
My set has a great picture wizard, its not an ISF calibration but it does have their name.
As computers take over more and more of a TV's functions calibration is becoming
more and more irrelevant. My owners manual has a whole page of acknowledgements
for various software gizmos used in my set, from Linux to you name it
Of course plasmas still benefit from calibration, as they are basically a squished CRT,
yesterdays tech.

Secondly, Pix there has been tiered manufacturing of televisions for years, and your denial is not going to change that one bit. Both Wooch and I have posted link after link that supports that fact.

Everyone knows that LG is a second tier manufacturer, you know as well, but you are in the deepest part of denial a person can be(almost close to drowning in it as a matter of fact).

LET ME ask you, don't you think that for what I PAID for the LG that I COULDN'T BUY A samsung? Or a Panny?
As a matter of fact SAMSUNG has several models that are somewhat cheaper
than the set I bought.
You throw this cheapskate crap around all of the time, and its just silly.
I have had two Samsungs, BTW, and wasnt impressed with either, although the Tau
30" was nice(you'd like it, a CRT) THE 47" was a piece of RPTV junk.
Only one reason I got the LG, the picture is exelent.

My insecurities, over your cheapness? I think not. It would be stupid(and typical of you) to come up with that lame excuse. Vizio is what it is, a third tier television supplier(that don't manufacturer anything). LG is a respectable second tier manufacturer(they do make their own sets).

If you understood anything about ISO and other quality control methods you would know that its increasingly irrelevant weather or not a manufacturer makes his own or outsources.
I can name off the top of my head at least a dozen manufacturers that dont "manufacture"
a bloomin thing, from Cambridge to Emotiva to, well, JUST ABOUT ANYBODY.
Vizo is a great brand, especially for those on a budget, and since they are no. one,
a lot more agree with me than you

I actually got my Kuro's at a substantial discount from Best Buy, so your top dollar claim is bogus. The Kuros has never been a second rate plasma, it was, and still is the plasma panel that all others are compared to. It's performance(even after being off the market for two years now) has only been bested by Panasonic 65" professional plasma(of which I also own). No other plasma has yet touched it for performance - especially in contrast, color, and black levels. So much for your uniformed(and ignorant)claims.

For that matter no other plasma has touched even a cheap LCD panel in
performance.

Pix, you need a mirror. I think this is what everyone else thinks about you, except substitute the word arrogant, for damn right pitiful, and it has you pegged.

Well, you certainly know about "arrogant", and I THINK MOST would agree with me.
One thing you need to know, I will enjoy my new set regardless of what the troll thinks.:1:

Jack in Wilmington
12-13-2010, 06:30 PM
My set has a great picture wizard, its not an ISF calibration but it does have their name.
As computers take over more and more of a TV's functions calibration is becoming
Of course plasmas still benefit from calibration, as they are basically a squished CRT,
yesterdays tech.

LET ME ask you, don't you think that for what I PAID for the LG that I COULDN'T BUY A samsung? Or a Panny?
than the set I bought.

If you understood anything about ISO and other quality control methods you would know that its increasingly irrelevant weather or not a manufacturer makes his own or outsources.
I can name off the top of my head at least a dozen manufacturers that dont "manufacture"
Vizo is a great brand, especially for those on a budget, and since they are no. one,

performance.

Well, you certainly know about "arrogant", and I THINK MOST would agree with me.
One thing you need to know, I will enjoy my new set regardless of what the troll thinks.:1:

That's funny because I just read the December Consumer Reports and if you look at their 3D TV ratings the top 7 spots are all plasma sets. One is an LG, but it's still a plasma.

12-14-2010, 09:39 AM
yesterdays tech.

Pixstupidhead, this is perhaps one of the most irresponsible post you have ever done on this website. You know good and damn well televisions do not come out of the box pre-calibrated, or anywhere close to it. ALL televisions need calibration, and it does not matter one damn bit that mini computers are doing all of the processing. Are you so stupid that you believe that television can automatically calibrate themselves? If you believe that, then you are far more stupid than even I thought.

Then why didn't you? You didn't because the LG was probably cheaper, and all you can afford.

than the set I bought.

Right pix, and that extra eyeball you have in your head allows you to see better than most humans(sarcasm off)

If the picture was so "exelent", then why doesn't LG televisions do better when compared to the competition? I'll tell you why, LG is a second tier brand, just better than Vizio.

BS. ISO is the very reason there is a tiered rating among manufacturers. ISO does not help one bit when you start off with a low quality panel, and then take leftover parts to make your television(as Vizio does). Manufacturers who design their own sets, and procure high quality parts designed to work with the panel from the onset make better set than those who choose low quality panel(or rejects) and procure what parts they can find on the market to make their sets. That is what seperates the Sony, Samusung, and Panasonics from the Sharp, LG's, and Vizio's.

[quote]I can name off the top of my head at least a dozen manufacturers that dont "manufacture"

First liar, Emotiva does make their own products. Jade Electronics makes Emotiva's products, and Dan Laufman owns both Jade electronics and Emotiva. Secondly Cambridge Audio does use Oppo platform, but at least they start from a very high quality platform and tweak it from there. That is not what Vizio, Colby, Insignia, or any of the other third tier television "sellers" do. They start with a cheap panel that would not pass mustard with the first tier manufacturers, and source parts from all over Asia to fit into those panel. None of this is designed to work together - hence why they do not perform that well. They trade performance for cost, and that is not what Emotiva or Cambridge audio do.

performance.

Or really, talk to Panasonic and Samsung about that. Their plasma are much better than almost all of the LCD on the market, excluding Sony's and Samsungs own LCD.

Troll=A dumbass who makes idiotic posts in message boards newsgroups for the sole purpose of pissing people off, often lacking in intelligence.

Pix, that does not describe me, that describe you. I say enjoy your mediocre set. Let's face it, this is the best you can do. But don't think your mediocre set represent the state of the art in performance, because it quite frankly does not. Be real, at least to yourself anyway.

12-14-2010, 09:45 AM
That's funny because I just read the December Consumer Reports and if you look at their 3D TV ratings the top 7 spots are all plasma sets. One is an LG, but it's still a plasma.

In Pix world good performance does not count for anything. Its the price, Its the price, and that is it for him. Does not matter than the cheap television cannot stand up to the competition that well, its all about the price.

pixelthis
12-14-2010, 02:51 PM
In Pix world good performance does not count for anything. Its the price, Its the price, and that is it for him. Does not matter than the cheap television cannot stand up to the competition that well, its all about the price.

keep repeating that slander over and over like some kind of mantra, thats all you're good for,
is insults .
OKAY GENIUS, my modest LG cost 800 tax and all, with an HDMI cable and a screen cleaning kit. Its an 1080p 60hz that does the 24p, and its 42" inches.
So either refute that or shut up.
I have never cared for Samsungs pic as much as Sony , and since I saw my first LG
I HAVE BEEN IN LOVE WITH THE WAY THEY DO THEIR PICTURE.
Having a choice, LG was my choice. I don't care if you like the picture or not,if you like something thats a good reason to stay away from it.
As for picture, I GUESS WITH YOUR ANTIQUE tech, eitherconventional CRT or a squished
CRT marketed as a "plasma", you would need regular calibration, as these set go out of
spec as they age, every year they need adjustment.
LCD is a lot more stable , and the ISF has put their name on a neat wizard that helps you adjust your picture. Its not an ISF calibration, but its close. And it gave the little nudge my set needed.
Get with the future gramps.:1:

pixelthis
12-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Hello and thank you for your clinical contribution Sir Terrance the Terrible.
No hard feelings, after all, as one would rather be forewarned before opening the cheque book. Information is what all this forum is about.
As everybody seems to be playing the numbers game, I quoted the publicized 0.5 ms response time...... and as for the perfect pixel and perfect motion software, NO, they are NOT PERFECT, it is the term Philips applies to the software used to distinguish between their flagship and other lower end TVs. So rest easy, NOBODY has the PERFECT everything yet!!!
Also, please note, I have as yet to find a 3D review of any Philips TV, so was hoping for somebody to point me in the right direction. On the other hand, there seem to be enough reviews of other brands for a person to make an informed choice.
OK, the reviews give us an insight to tests most of us don΄t have the time nor resources.

MOST manufacturers put little tweaks into their higher line sets. Mine has everything
from LINUX to a "picture wizard" with the ISF name on it.
Dont worry about those stuck in the analog past. A plasma is a bas**** second cousin
to a CRT, with all of its attendant shortcomings. Even modest sets have a lot
of software that helps keep a picture on the straight and narrow. Also an LCD doesn't degrade as it ages, not like plasma.
Plasma, being phosper and electrode based, will change as these elements get older.
One reason plasma , like CRT, is horse and buggy.
And take all of the "tests" you read with a grain of salt, a lot has been invested into plasma,
and the industry has a vested interest in keeping them moving.:1:

Geoffcin
12-14-2010, 04:17 PM
OK, I think that will be enough of the personal attacks for this thread. If you guys want to call each other names please take it off this thread.

12-14-2010, 05:57 PM
keep repeating that slander over and over like some kind of mantra, thats all you're good for,
is insults .
OKAY GENIUS, my modest LG cost 800 tax and all, with an HDMI cable and a screen cleaning kit. Its an 1080p 60hz that does the 24p, and its 42" inches.
So either refute that or shut up.
I have never cared for Samsungs pic as much as Sony , and since I saw my first LG
I HAVE BEEN IN LOVE WITH THE WAY THEY DO THEIR PICTURE.
Having a choice, LG was my choice. I don't care if you like the picture or not,if you like something thats a good reason to stay away from it.
As for picture, I GUESS WITH YOUR ANTIQUE tech, eitherconventional CRT or a squished
CRT marketed as a "plasma", you would need regular calibration, as these set go out of
spec as they age, every year they need adjustment.
LCD is a lot more stable , and the ISF has put their name on a neat wizard that helps you adjust your picture. Its not an ISF calibration, but its close. And it gave the little nudge my set needed.
Get with the future gramps.:1:

Live in your dream world cheapie. If you think LG is that great, then I am right, performance is not your bag, being cheap is.

pixelthis
12-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Live in your dream world cheapie. If you think LG is that great, then I am right, performance is not your bag, being cheap is.

GETTING with it is my "bag", might want to try it sometime.
PHOSPER based tech has a problem, in that (besides its other flaws) the tech has been
taken about as far as you can go for reproducing color.
Look at older shows from the sixties, a lot of blue, the system had a lot of trouble with red.
Green was easy.
EVEN TODAY a lot of sets "bloom" or have too much red, and only one kind and shade.
WHAT I like about LG is the way they handle red, this means better browns, and better fleshtones. You don't like it., fine, but I think its nice. Also there are a lot of
refinements that make this set easy and fun to use, nice graphics, built in manuel
(about time), ISF picture wizard. And SD looks great also, although that could be the cable
improving their service, the SD on this set is very good, which means great scaling.
And as far as price goes, its increasingly irrelevant in a world where a 47" SONY
is bundled with a Blue-ray for 999$.
:1:

Nasir
12-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Televisioninfo.com web site which evaluate HDTVs regularly have chosen their HDTV pick of the year for 2010.

For 50 inch and higher they pick:

Sony Bravia XBR-52HX909 – $3,599.99
The Sony Bravia XBR-52HX909 is just a really well-rounded HDTV. It got some impressive results on our performance tests, such as a high contrast ratio and accurate color performance. The TV can also do 3D, but it wasn't particularly great in that regard.

Runner up – Vizio XVT553SV – $1749.99
The TV really didn't have any downsides, but the XBR-52HX909 had better online features and 3D capability. If you don't mind missing out on those features, though, the XVT553SV is a much more affordable purchase.

For 40 inch and above:

Samsung UN46C7100 – $1599.99
Our pick for TV of the Year has to excel in a lot of different ways. It has to have a great picture, an interesting feature set, and not be grossly overpriced for what it offers.

Runner up – Panasonic TC-P42GT25 – $1429.99
The Panasonic TC-P42GT25 was another great all-around 3D HDTV. While it's 3D performance was much better than what we saw on the UN46C7100, it's overall picture quality wasn't quite as good and Panasonic's online content is slightly lacking compared to Samsung's.

Runner up – Samsung LN40C630 – $697.99
The Samsung LN40C630 has everything you'd want: great picture quality, an extensive line-up of online content, and a relatively low price given its size and feature set. The TV's only real downside: its dynamic backlight can't be completely shut off.

In 32 inch range:

Sony KDL-32EX700 – $699.88
This TV gives you a very deep black level, a high overall contrast ratio, great color accuracy, and allows you to connect to the best selection of online content currently being offered.

Runner up- Vizio E320VL – $357.99
The Vizio E320VL is the best value out of any HDTVs we've reviewed this year. Sure, it didn't have the best picture quality, and it wasn't even the least expensive. It did, however, offer the best picture quality for its price.

Runner up – LG 32LD350 – $407.99
The 32LD350 has all the same benefits as the E320VL, only it costs just a bit more for a small jump in quality.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/2010-Televisioninfo-Com-Selects.htm
Lets compare the European Image and Sound Association (EISA) winners against the above:
Best 3D LCD is the Sony Bravia KDL 52HX900 ( sold out at the stores, replaced by slightly cheaper LX900 models, with a choice of 1 of 3 BluRay packages as a promotional gift pack thrown in).
Best 3D Plasma awarded to Panasonic TX-P50VT20.
Best 3D solution: Samsung UE46C8000 plus HT C6930W Home Theater setup.
Best Value LCD goes to LG 42LE5300 model.
Best TV technology innovation from Sharp Quattron Red, Green, Blue and Yellow as the 4th colour for better golden colors.
And the best LCD out here: crowns the controversial Philips 46PFL9705 model.
The Philips is controversial in the sense that I have come across 2 reviews, one of which points the accusing finger as being the WORST 3D TV with a hefty price tag, while the other practically adorns it with the BEST 3D TV, just falling short of the Plasmas!!

As for the prices, the figures are comparable but in EUROS, that makes it 40 per cent more expensive here!!!
To make matters worse, none of the sets on display are calibrated, with each maker also kicking all competing tvs a fair distance away!! Its like going to a number of small booths only displaying one single manufacturer. No side by side comparison possible.

Also, I read somewhere that both Sony and Philips were going to use the innovative Sharp Quattron technology panels in their offerings. Rumor or not.......

I am still smitten by the Philips Full Back Panel LED lighting LCD, but the award was for a bigger 46 inch panel, but can only hope that its 40inch panel has the same attributes!!
The top of the range Sony, Samsung and LG are similarly priced, but with edge LED lighting and more reflective glass like panels, which tends to enhance the video image. I am not in a hurry, so my search for technical reviews is still on. I have learned a lot from interacting with our SIR, and it does not squash MY dreams of owning what I feel to be a an excellent TV. I regard his input as hard information on avoiding a lemon.
I will be honest on the fact that I do not have a clue as to who makes the Philips panels, but there was a Sony full LED backlit panel sometime ago.
A Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Nasir
12-28-2010, 03:34 PM
The top of the range Sony, Samsung and LG are similarly priced, but with edge LED lighting and more reflective glass like panels, which tends to enhance the video image.

WHOOPS, I dropped a clanger here!!!

Before somebody notices this quote, I would like to correct this statement. ALL of the top of the range LED TVs have FULL LED backlighting!!!

pixelthis
12-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Lets compare the European Image and Sound Association (EISA) winners against the above:
Best 3D LCD is the Sony Bravia KDL 52HX900 ( sold out at the stores, replaced by slightly cheaper LX900 models, with a choice of 1 of 3 BluRay packages as a promotional gift pack thrown in).
Best 3D Plasma awarded to Panasonic TX-P50VT20.
Best 3D solution: Samsung UE46C8000 plus HT C6930W Home Theater setup.
Best Value LCD goes to LG 42LE5300 model.
Best TV technology innovation from Sharp Quattron Red, Green, Blue and Yellow as the 4th colour for better golden colors.
And the best LCD out here: crowns the controversial Philips 46PFL9705 model.
The Philips is controversial in the sense that I have come across 2 reviews, one of which points the accusing finger as being the WORST 3D TV with a hefty price tag, while the other practically adorns it with the BEST 3D TV, just falling short of the Plasmas!!

As for the prices, the figures are comparable but in EUROS, that makes it 40 per cent more expensive here!!!
To make matters worse, none of the sets on display are calibrated, with each maker also kicking all competing tvs a fair distance away!! Its like going to a number of small booths only displaying one single manufacturer. No side by side comparison possible.

Also, I read somewhere that both Sony and Philips were going to use the innovative Sharp Quattron technology panels in their offerings. Rumor or not.......

I am still smitten by the Philips Full Back Panel LED lighting LCD, but the award was for a bigger 46 inch panel, but can only hope that its 40inch panel has the same attributes!!
The top of the range Sony, Samsung and LG are similarly priced, but with edge LED lighting and more reflective glass like panels, which tends to enhance the video image. I am not in a hurry, so my search for technical reviews is still on. I have learned a lot from interacting with our SIR, and it does not squash MY dreams of owning what I feel to be a an excellent TV. I regard his input as hard information on avoiding a lemon.
I will be honest on the fact that I do not have a clue as to who makes the Philips panels, but there was a Sony full LED backlit panel sometime ago.
A Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all.

My friend loves his Phillips 47" that is in his bedroom.:1:

pixelthis
12-29-2010, 12:30 PM
They need a separate category for plasma and LCD, two different types of tech.
All I AM SAYING.:1:

Smokey
12-29-2010, 09:39 PM
Well, I just recieved January issue of ConsumerReports and in this issue they tested over 14 32-inch LCDs. As you can see, Philips 32 inch LCD ranked in term of picture quality at bottom of the pack along with Westinghouse and Magnavox.

They also tested three 32-inch LG models (including LED model) and non of them received "Excellent" rating in term of picture quality. Lack of Deep Black is hurting LG models.

Here is the break down (* are 720p):

LCDs that got "Excellent" rating in term of picture quaity (HD and SD) are:

Samsung LN32C530 $540
Vizio M32ONV $600
*Sony KDL-32EX308 $460

LCDs that got "Very Good" rating (HD and SD) are:

LG 32LE5400 $900
LG 32LD520 $630
LG 32LE530 $750
*Panasonic TC-L32X2 $425
*Samsung UN32C4000 $600
Sony KDL-32EX40B $700
*Sanyo DP32670 $400
Insignia NS-32E570A11 $500

LCDs that got "Good" rating in term of picture quality are:

Philips 32PFL4505D $550
*Westinghouse LD-3255VX $320

LCDs that got ""Fair" rating is:

*Magnavox 32MD350B $400

pixelthis
12-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Westinghouse and MAGNOVOX started out building low cost sets of average to good quality,
got some decent reviews. Guess that was to build market share.
THE COST CUTTERS came in and that was that.:1:

pixelthis
12-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Well, I just recieved January issue of ConsumerReports and in this issue they tested over 14 32-inch LCDs. As you can see, Philips 32 inch LCD ranked in term of picture quality at bottom of the pack along with Westinghouse and Magnavox.

They also tested three 32-inch LG models (including LED model) and non of them received "Excellent" rating in term of picture quality. Lack of Deep Black is hurting LG models.

Here is the break down (* are 720p):

LCDs that got "Excellent" rating in term of picture quaity (HD and SD) are:

Samsung LN32C530 $540
Vizio M32ONV $600
*Sony KDL-32EX308 $460

LCDs that got "Very Good" rating (HD and SD) are:

LG 32LE5400 $900
LG 32LD520 $630
LG 32LE530 $750
*Panasonic TC-L32X2 $425
*Samsung UN32C4000 $600
Sony KDL-32EX40B $700
*Sanyo DP32670 $400
Insignia NS-32E570A11 $500

LCDs that got "Good" rating in term of picture quality are:

Philips 32PFL4505D $550
*Westinghouse LD-3255VX $320

LCDs that got ""Fair" rating is:

*Magnavox 32MD350B $400

Funny how "Vizio" keeps getting decent reviews, in spite of several on this board claiming
its the worst company EVER.
Gotta luv it! heh heh heh.:1:

Nasir
01-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Hello Smokey,
Thanks for the input. I have NOT yet seen the series 4000 Philips lcds here on display.
The lowest available set here is the Philips PFL5605 32 in lcd.
I am interested in opinions regarding the top of the range 9000 series, specifically the PFL 9705 LED 3D ready variety. The lower the number the MORE competitive the models seem to be. Personally, the only 3 things going for the Philips are the matte screen and supposedly lower response time. The 3rd is what I have seen with my own 2 eyes ( YES, I ONLY have 2!! ) and that is the motion in the better Philips sets suffers less than it does with other makes. But that as anyone will tell you is subjective. On the minus side, I found the annoying flicker when I put on the 3D specs.
The price is horribly expensive, a discouraging 2700 € plus another 250€ for the transmitter and 2 pairs of specs ( a jaw dropping 4000 USD if one throws in the 3D optional pack) for the 40in version. My wife would gladly trade me in for much less, and I hate to admit it, but I DO NOT come with a 2 year warranty of any sorts!!!
So, I am gritting my teeth and taking everybody΄s advice: WAIT for the price slashes and promos and my CRT to fail!!
The much cheaper 3D Samsung LCD is a non starter for me because I verified ( and Sir TTT remarked in one of our exchanges ) the LCDs just do NOT have the brightness required due to the loss when the light goes through the 3D specs!!

pixelthis
01-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Hello Smokey,
Thanks for the input. I have NOT yet seen the series 4000 Philips lcds here on display.
The lowest available set here is the Philips PFL5605 32 in lcd.
I am interested in opinions regarding the top of the range 9000 series, specifically the PFL 9705 LED 3D ready variety. The lower the number the MORE competitive the models seem to be. Personally, the only 3 things going for the Philips are the matte screen and supposedly lower response time. The 3rd is what I have seen with my own 2 eyes ( YES, I ONLY have 2!! ) and that is the motion in the better Philips sets suffers less than it does with other makes. But that as anyone will tell you is subjective. On the minus side, I found the annoying flicker when I put on the 3D specs.
The price is horribly expensive, a discouraging 2700 € plus another 250€ for the transmitter and 2 pairs of specs ( a jaw dropping 4000 USD if one throws in the 3D optional pack) for the 40in version. My wife would gladly trade me in for much less, and I hate to admit it, but I DO NOT come with a 2 year warranty of any sorts!!!
So, I am gritting my teeth and taking everybody΄s advice: WAIT for the price slashes and promos and my CRT to fail!!
The much cheaper 3D Samsung LCD is a non starter for me because I verified ( and Sir TTT remarked in one of our exchanges ) the LCDs just do NOT have the brightness required due to the loss when the light goes through the 3D specs!!

GOOD LUCK finding a 3D set that doesn't dim.
My last experience with 3D was on an 80" DLP, and it dimmed when 3D was on,
and DLP is known for being bright.:1: