Combining Bookshelf and Floorstanding Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Combining Bookshelf and Floorstanding Speakers

gsenthil
04-09-2004, 05:19 PM
I am using a Yamaha 5460 5.1 Reciever with Yamaha NS-200 110W 6Ohm Mains and Klipsch Quintets as surrounds. I recently bought Yamaha 6390 70W 8Ohm bookshelf speakers because I got a good deal on them. I cant use them as surrounds in my apartment because of space issues. Is there any way I can use them in conjunction with my mains? If I run the speakers in parallel, the combined load is 3.4Ohms. The receiver can handle 4 and 8 Ohm loads. Would I be ok if I set it to 4Ohms on the receiver?

Sonically- would there be any difference in using both the speakers? Or am I better of putting the bookshelfs in cold storage until I can put them to real use?

FYI: I already have Wharfedale NXT flat speakers and an old Yamaha receiver in my bedroom so that option is ruled out :)

Am I the only one who buys Yamaha gear without having a real need for it? I bought a M60 Power amp for $75. It goes for ~200 on EBay.

paul_pci
04-09-2004, 09:57 PM
I am using a Yamaha 5460 5.1 Reciever with Yamaha NS-200 110W 6Ohm Mains and Klipsch Quintets as surrounds. I recently bought Yamaha 6390 70W 8Ohm bookshelf speakers because I got a good deal on them. I cant use them as surrounds in my apartment because of space issues. Is there any way I can use them in conjunction with my mains? If I run the speakers in parallel, the combined load is 3.4Ohms. The receiver can handle 4 and 8 Ohm loads. Would I be ok if I set it to 4Ohms on the receiver?

Sonically- would there be any difference in using both the speakers? Or am I better of putting the bookshelfs in cold storage until I can put them to real use?

FYI: I already have Wharfedale NXT flat speakers and an old Yamaha receiver in my bedroom so that option is ruled out :)

Am I the only one who buys Yamaha gear without having a real need for it? I bought a M60 Power amp for $75. It goes for ~200 on EBay.

It's my understanding that in some theoretical sense, Yamaha offers A and/or B speaker switching, that it will not play A and B speakers together in a low impedance setting. Check your manual, and/or email Yamaha for their advice on the matter.

N. Abstentia
04-10-2004, 04:02 AM
I wouldn't bother with trying to parallel the extra speakers, it's more than likely to sound worse as it will destory the soundstage and imaging. What is the problem you are trying to fix by adding more speakers? Maybe there's a better fix.

uncooked
04-10-2004, 09:50 AM
well if you really wanted to, you could go buy a speaker selecter that has a / b or a and b. most yammies have them built in like mine. some speaker selectors are expensive but they handle low ohms. depends on how much you want extra speakers.

then plug them both into the selector and set the selector to both and it will play both, and if you want to listen to stereo turn it to A and your towers will only play.