Rear speaker placement [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rear speaker placement

cyto
12-04-2010, 01:11 PM
I would like to add rear speakers to my system but do not have a good place to put them. I have to use "in ceiling" speakers for rears or do without them, but because of access they would have to be about 3 or 4 feet in front of the main seating area.

The seating area is 13' from the mains and TV, the surrounds are directly to the side of the seating area. So if I did this the rears would be about 9' from the screen but 4' in front of the seating area.

What would this configuration do to the sound?

Mr Peabody
12-04-2010, 01:29 PM
It would ruin the sound stage. I would forget the rear surrounds and just use the sides for rears in a 5.1 set up. It would really be a waste of money and time as you don't want to sit behind the rear surrounds.

No way to use stands or in-wall? I don't understand how the seating position could be back that far without a place to put a speaker.

cyto
12-04-2010, 02:23 PM
I can't put speakers behind the seating area because that is the dining area and kitchen. In wall is a possibility but they would directly above the surrounds or maybe 1' behind.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-04-2010, 02:58 PM
I can't put speakers behind the seating area because that is the dining area and kitchen. In wall is a possibility but they would directly above the surrounds or maybe 1' behind.

If you can't get the proper distance behind you, or on the wall behind you, forget it. The negative HRT effects would cancel out any benefits you would get by adding them. There would not be enough channel separation, and it would just muddy the sound field.

SlumpBuster
12-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Your Onkyo receiver has provisions for an additional pair of front speakers. The speakers are placed high and outside your mains. They are sometimes referred to as "presence speakers." If you can't add rear surrounds, why not add front presence? You can have some fun adding additional speakers and you might find that you like how they sound and enjoy some of the sound fields that employ them. I have a pair of presence speakers and enjoy them alot.

cyto
12-04-2010, 07:28 PM
I have the front high outputs running a pair of speakers in my screen porch, I like your idea but don't want to give up the outside speakers. For now I am just going to stick with 5.2.