Newbie with a Carver M-4.0t needs Klipsch advice. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a Carver M-4.0t needs Klipsch advice.

CarverM-04t
12-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Hello and thanks for letting me join in on the various discussion taking place. I recent inherited a Carver rack system to include a M-4.0t, Silver seven receiver, and carver cd player. It used to run large cerwin vega floor speakers with built in crossover controls, but I left them behind due to the damage to the cones and the deteriorated surround foam on the 15" bass speaker. I have recently located a pair of unknown year second owner Klipsch Heresy speaker, seemingly in good condition by someone with a history of Klipsch ownership from the 70's. (he claims to have own a pair of La Scala's and a pair of Khorns, so he does seem to know what he has. He advertised them @ $400, but has already agreed to lower to $350. I have experience with La Scala's during my stint in Okinawa, which is where this Carver system came from in 1989.
What is a good price, of course based on condition, and will the Carver be a good match for the speakers.
A little about myself and audio interest. I prefer to hear the entire stage and all the nuances of the music and performance. Live performance emulation. If I listen to Chet Adkins play Yakety Axe, I want to hear his fingers or pick slide across the strings. I'm looking for clear reproduction...within reason and budget. I respect Klipsch and the sensativity of the Heresy's seems to match, but I'm sure there are opinions, and I am willing and able to listen to the wisdom of those in the know. If these are not the right speakers for the type of listener I am, then would someone point me to the right speakers (2 channel) that coupled with the Carver will provide me with my audio listening goals?

Thanks in advance for your opinion and assistance...and yes I know my user name is not correct to match the specified amp...call it creative license.
CG

Mr Peabody
12-03-2010, 09:26 PM
If they are in good shape and at least "II's" $300.00 or so would be a good price. The current model "III's" run retail about $1600.00 a pair. I like the Heresy but they really need a sub to get that bottom octave. If all you listened to was Classic Rock and Country you'd probably be alright. They are certainly an improvement over your typical Cerwin Vega in my opinion. Another very good Klipsch vintage model are the Forte.

Carver gear isn't much on current but they always have high power rating so there isn't a need to limit yourself to high efficient speakers. For the price it would be hard to beat the Heresy though. Sometimes you can find nice bookshelf in that price range.

Welcome to AR, BTW

CarverM-04t
12-03-2010, 10:02 PM
I favor the vintage speaker for their robust construction, longevity, and efficiency, but I have also found a set of JBL ND310 Northridge Series Speakers with all documentation. I hate to admit, I know nothing of their quality or durability. What is your opinion?
Thanks

thekid
12-04-2010, 03:07 AM
CarverM

First of all let me welcome you to AR. Although we are small community here I think you will find some members here who are very knowledgable about all things audio and even video.

I currently own 2 sets of Heresy's; a pair of 70's model I's and pair of II's from a little bit later period. I echo Mr.P's sentiments, though depending on your music tastes you may or may not need to add the sub. I have the II's running with a small Velodyne sub and it does fill in the last bit of bass which is sometimes needed on some classical recordings or some of the newer music even if its is mostly accoustic like Jakob Dylan's new release.

My thoughts on the JBL are only based on a few of the reviews I have read. I think their traditional tweeter will not provide the clarity and detail you are looking for. The horns in the Heresy will do much better on the higher end. Several of the reviews on the JBL seem to indicate the drivers maybe a little fragile as well but it would be pretty hard to blow the Heresy horns unless you played them at insane levels. With the Heresys being so efficeint there really is no need to crank up the volume to produce good clear sound. In addition if you want to spend some extra money there is a site that can upgrade the original Heresy tweeters to what many consider a much better tweeter. From listening to mine that would be pretty difficult but you may consider getting the X-overs updated given the age of the speakers.

Hope that helps and look forward to seeing you around on the AR boards.
If you get the Heresy's please post some pics!

Mr Peabody
12-04-2010, 08:28 AM
This is just my opinion, I have yet to hear a JBL that I personally liked. The mids seem to be pushed back and the bass lacks detail. With that being said there are numerous varieties of JBL, I have heard some models but not all by a long shot. For longevity in vintage speakers I would gravitate to the Klipsch, with the high efficiency the cones move very little which helps them last longer. Many other brands with foam surrounds will most likely be ready for re-coning.

I'm not sure how much you are willing to spend but you might find these interesting www.zuaudio.com you can find the Omens at www.amusicdirect.com for $999.00 a pair. The Zu look like they may give the vintage sound you like while getting a brand new speaker with warranty and opportunity to get your money back if not fully satisfied.

You might also consider used, more recent, bookshelf speakers by higher end brands like B&W or Dynaudio.