Another sign of CD decline [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another sign of CD decline

pixelthis
12-02-2010, 11:57 AM
The JVC plant in my town(CD and DVD) is laying off ten percent of its workforce, citing
declining demand for C.D's.
When this plant opened it was a TAPE and .C.D plant, if this keeps up it will soon be a
nothing plant. They also make DVD, btw.:1:

Luvin Da Blues
12-02-2010, 11:59 AM
....., if this keeps up it will soon be a

Maybe a chop stick factory. :ihih:

pixelthis
12-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Maybe a chop stick factory. :ihih:

Wont work, if North Korea keeps showing out, a lot of buildings will be turned into chopsticks.:1:

Hyfi
12-02-2010, 03:06 PM
The JVC plant in my town(CD and DVD) is laying off ten percent of its workforce, citing
When this plant opened it was a TAPE and .C.D plant, if this keeps up it will soon be a

And did you ever think for a second that maybe they are just going to mfg the CD's and DVD's somewhere without union labor rates and demands? hmmm NAFTAfarian countries.

Why are they not making Blu's?

harley .guy07
12-02-2010, 03:29 PM
And did you ever think for a second that maybe they are just going to mfg the CD's and DVD's somewhere without union labor rates and demands? hmmm NAFTAfarian countries.

Why are they not making Blu's?

That was going to be my question. Why are they not making blue ray disks and possibly some blank media disks for computer use since a lot of people still use them.

Hyfi
12-03-2010, 04:23 AM
That was going to be my question. Why are they not making blue ray disks and possibly some blank media disks for computer use since a lot of people still use them.

See my first question. Cheaper to make them elsewhere.

Americans can't afford to buy American Made goods. That's why Wall Mart is what they are.

Feanor
12-03-2010, 05:25 AM
nothing plant. They also make DVD, btw.:1: What a naive person you are, Pix. Capitalism, the salvation of America, you say, and yet, as others have pointed out, it's the capitalist who is moving the production off-shore.

In the '80s Reagan instituted "trickle down" economics, or as I call it, "Bribe the rich". Tax cuts are the answer ... now what was the question? The only thing that has tricked down since then has been the prosperity of middle class and working people.

I chuckle every time I hear that Americans still trust Republicans to be the more fiscally responsible party. This despite all the evidence of the last generation -- deficit up during Republican government, down during Democrat. Remember, it was Dick Cheney who said, "Deficits don't matter", and he obviously believed that.

bfalls
12-03-2010, 07:44 AM
I'm sorry to hear about the JVC layoffs. Ten percent is a pretty hard hit. Being a CD only

plant was probably the largest factor. However it's been a pretty good year for Sony.

We received our monthly production totals in our newsletter today.

Overall units shipped in November was the highest ever at 130 million.

We replicated an average of over 1.2 million BDs/day in the 3rd and 4th weeks.

DVDs had a record month with over 55 million shipped.

CDs also had a record month with over 11 million units shipped.

There were 20 major albums released between Nov 15th and 30th alone.

Movie titles such as The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, Inception, and Fantasia were big

contributors with over 14.3 million units for Eclipse alone.

I'm not saying we haven't had our fair share of woes in the past, but this year has been

the best I've seen in some time.

pixelthis
12-03-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the JVC layoffs. Ten percent is a pretty hard hit. Being a CD only

plant was probably the largest factor. However it's been a pretty good year for Sony.

We received our monthly production totals in our newsletter today.

Overall units shipped in November was the highest ever at 130 million.

We replicated an average of over 1.2 million BDs/day in the 3rd and 4th weeks.

DVDs had a record month with over 55 million shipped.

CDs also had a record month with over 11 million units shipped.

There were 20 major albums released between Nov 15th and 30th alone.

Movie titles such as The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, Inception, and Fantasia were big

contributors with over 14.3 million units for Eclipse alone.

I'm not saying we haven't had our fair share of woes in the past, but this year has been

the best I've seen in some time.

THEY ALSO make DVD. BLU would require intensive investment, won't happen.
And don't think that offshore competition is the reason for the layoffs, its declining
CD sales as a whole that is causing it. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a fact of life.:1:

bfalls
12-04-2010, 06:03 AM
Earlier this year we had moved DVD production from out Pitman plant and made them CD only and stopped CD production in Indiana. However because of demand CD production in Indiana restarted. It's probably due to shifting in replicator choice. Our productions costs are very low due to high efficiency.

Since I perform CD/DVD copy-protection, I work with many replicators throughout the US and SA (Technicolor, JVC America, Sonopress, Videolar, Cinram...). At the beginning of the year many experienced layoffs, including Sony. I'm sure some of the replicator shift is due to Sony's Blu-ray production and studios wanting to go with one replicator for CD/DVD/Blu-ray to reduce costs.

There's definitely a decline in CD production and I'm certain DVD will follow eventually. The trick will be staying ahead of the game. We've already started digitally reformatting media for streaming and have picked up media from many smaller companies who want to do the same.

eisforelectronic
12-04-2010, 07:26 AM
You guys should see the CD market in Japan, it's still booming. The Tower Records in Tokyo is 7 stories I think. The Osaka Tower Records is 2 stories. HMV stores are pretty big as well. A lot of American artists release CD's in Japan with bonus tracks as well. I've also noticed some of the songs have slightly different mixes too.

pixelthis
12-06-2010, 02:31 AM
Its the frog slowly boiling in a pot of water.
This is a major university town and we have one major record store...one!
USED to have two alone on the "strip", now we have one that survives on tradition,
special orders, and being the one place where you can find a CD.
A lot that do buy CD's buy em online.:1:

thekid
12-06-2010, 02:43 AM
Pix

Since you they dont's cite the reasons for the declining demand I would not jump to the conclusion it has to do with CD's as a format though that may be a factor. This economy is still struggling and all business are trimmimg their workforces. The troubling aspect in all of this is that companies are trimming workers and increasing their productivity often times because of increased work requirements of their existing workforce or through technology. With no incentive to hire people back it looks like this high unemployment rate will be here for sometime.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-06-2010, 11:20 AM
BFalls is right, the studios are definitely moving towards having a single replicator for their DVD and Blurays. There is definitely a decline in DVD orders, as demonstrated by the layoffs at Cineram and JVC which used to do a nice slice of the DVD stamping.

pixelthis
12-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Pix

Since you they dont's cite the reasons for the declining demand I would not jump to the conclusion it has to do with CD's as a format though that may be a factor. This economy is still struggling and all business are trimmimg their workforces. The troubling aspect in all of this is that companies are trimming workers and increasing their productivity often times because of increased work requirements of their existing workforce or through technology. With no incentive to hire people back it looks like this high unemployment rate will be here for sometime.

the reasons are simple...downloading over the net.
The net is the most amazing invention since the printing press, and just as significant.
BOOKS used to be rare, hard to make, with the printing press, reading increased, so did knowledge.
Now you can post a CD online, and in an hour there could be millions of copies, billions. SAME with video, books, etc.
When Ken C. Pohlman wrote several years ago that this was going to happen, I
thought he was being rather extreme. But happen it has.
THANK GOD for collectors and those with little or no net, but you can't stop the future.
There will always be a reason for hard copies, but in these hard times this is a good excuse to streamline things.:1:

E-Stat
12-14-2010, 07:21 AM
the reasons are simple...downloading over the net.
And inexpensive copies available on the used market. I've purchased quite a few CDs from Amazon ranging between $5 and $8 that work fine - even if the case might have a scratch or two. People are still buying music - just taking advantage of market opportunities.

rw

Hyfi
12-14-2010, 07:55 AM
BFalls is right, the studios are definitely moving towards having a single replicator for their DVD and Blurays. There is definitely a decline in DVD orders, as demonstrated by the layoffs at Cineram and JVC which used to do a nice slice of the DVD stamping.

Sounds about right. And where would that single source be located? Not in Unionville USA.