Hello I am new here.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hello I am new here....

mattk84
12-01-2010, 07:33 AM
So the components I currently have. (Please don't laugh haha)

Onkyo TX-8210
KLH Model 24's (speakers only)
AT-PL120

I am currently on the hunt for a new pair of bookshelf speakers. I find the model 24's to be on the bright side. I am unsure if it is just the speakers or my receiver or a combination of both that makes them sound bright.

Back to what I was getting to. I am considering getting a pair of Monitor Audio RS1 or RX1 or a pair of B&W 685. Any opinions or input would be great.

Thanks,

-Matt

EDIT:
I apologize if I put this in the wrong forum.

GMichael
12-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Hello, Welcome to AR.

I haven't heard the models you are looking at, but I am sure they are a step up from the KLH's.
Others will be along to help. I'm more of the class clown/welcoming guy.

TheHills44060
12-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Hey Matt...hmmm well i would think the consensus is that the MA's and B&W's are on the brighter side of the scale so it's interesting you chose them. MA's have always been too bright for me to live with but I don't really know much about the RX series. The 685's certainly aren't tame but the few times I've heard em I liked em.

My advice would be to listen to the 3 you listed and then throw a couple more options into the mix (something you can audition locally) then see what you think. My preferences are towards traditionally darker, laid back speakers but I've never heard the KLH's so our ideas of brightness can be totally different.

mattk84
12-01-2010, 11:23 AM
I was searching the net, I found a demo pair of the RS1's with a few light scratches for $375 + shipping from a dealer. I am thinking I am just going to go with those due to the price, I can always resell them.

The Onkyo receiver was something I had picked up almost 10 years ago at an estate sale for $20, and the KLH model 24's also came from another one.

The whole money situation is a little tight right now due to the fact I am not working. So that is why the demo RS1's look good to me at the moment.

My turntable I bought less than 2 years ago it was a real step up from my old Curtis Mathes BP 435 (another estate sale find) surprisingly enough I did not have that much of a hard time finding a needle that would fit it.

One last thing, if anyone is in the Tampa area, could you recommend a good place to go look at speakers and other higher end equipment? I live in Apollo Beach.

-Matt