av processor vrs blu ray decoder [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : av processor vrs blu ray decoder

lomarica
11-30-2010, 08:20 PM
with my new blu ray how do I know if the blu ray is decoding DD5.1 or if my old processor is decoding DD5.1? I want to do a comparison

I do not have hdmi going to the old AV processor.
the new blu ray is a samsung 5900 and the old av processor is a Parasound AVC1800
thanks

Mr Peabody
11-30-2010, 09:22 PM
You can get 5.1 from the BDP via coaxial or optical digital connection, it will be better sound than DVD slightly but you will not receive the HD audio formats (Tru HD/DTS MA). The HD audio formats will only pass via HDMI digitally. If your BDP has the onboard decoders it will pass HD audio from the multichannel analog outputs if available on your units. All the prior connections are the only way you will get 5.1.

lomarica
12-01-2010, 07:38 PM
ok so I do not have hdmi on my old processor but the new blu ray will have 5.1 outs which I plant to connect to my analog 5.1in on my processor. currently I use a digital coaux for DD5.1 from my dvd

so will this give me HD sound via blu ray? and if so will this be a "significant" improvement?

thanks again

lomarica
12-01-2010, 07:39 PM
yes the new blu ray will decode HD sound it seems like they all do now

Mr Peabody
12-01-2010, 08:42 PM
For your set up the 5.1 analog hook up is best and will give you the HD audio formats decoded. You'll have to be sure to check your manual and set your BDP to decode and pass via the 5.1 analog outs. The HD audio formats are noticeably better, I think you will enjoy it. Most likely you will have to do some speaker set up inside the BDP. Being the processor is older the analog will probably pass right through and not allow the processor settings. So you'll have to adjust whatever settings the player will provide, I'm talking about speaker levels etc.

pixelthis
12-02-2010, 12:16 PM
ok so I do not have hdmi on my old processor but the new blu ray will have 5.1 outs which I plant to connect to my analog 5.1in on my processor. currently I use a digital coaux for DD5.1 from my dvd

so will this give me HD sound via blu ray? and if so will this be a "significant" improvement?

thanks again

The only way to get the new formats is HDMI or analog outs, and if your BLU has analog outs
they will only output LPCM, which is what everything will be converted to BEFORE its converted to analog out.
THIS is the only way to get the new formats without HDMI.:1:

Luvin Da Blues
12-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Hey Alfred E. Neuman, love the Avatar. Haven't seen a MAD Mag in some time.