video cables vrs audio cables [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : video cables vrs audio cables

lomarica
11-30-2010, 08:16 PM
I have some component video cables that are now not needed with my new blu ray
can I use them for audio only?
I know I could just try it but my back is not as young as it used to be when hooking up cables behind all my components
thanks

Mr Peabody
11-30-2010, 09:27 PM
What were you thinking of connecting with them? Using one for digital audio or two of the three for a L/R connection?

markw
12-01-2010, 05:28 AM
What were you thinking of connecting with them? Using one for digital audio or two of the three for a L/R connection?In either case he'll be fine, assuming typical home usage. They have the needed bandwidth for either..

Luvin Da Blues
12-01-2010, 06:08 AM
I use AR Master series component cables to feed my subs. This is many due to the lengths I require and that I had a set lying around. I do like them better than dedicated 'subwoofer' cables I had been using.

You should have absolutely no problems using the component cables for audio use.

02audionoob
12-01-2010, 04:54 PM
I took a set of three component video cables and used one for the digital connection from CD to DAC and the other two for L/R analog from DAC to preamp and I thought it worked out very well. I found them to be probably as good as my Blue Jeans Cable interconnects and definitely better than the typical cheap audio interconnects. Since they have lower capacitance than the typical audio cable, they would at least in theory have less roll-off of high frequencies.

Smokey
12-01-2010, 06:39 PM
I took a set of three component video cables and used one for the digital connection from CD to DAC and the other two for L/R analog from DAC to preamp and I thought it worked out very well.

If you are using component cable for digital output, it is recommended to use the green color cable for digital application since green cable [should] have higher bandwidth than Red or Blue color cables.

lomarica
12-01-2010, 07:32 PM
ok I will give it a try I will be using it for the 5.1 out from a blu ray to my old 5.1 in on my processor so the blu ray will decode the new HD audio
right now I just have cheapy rca cables

thanks

Luvin Da Blues
12-02-2010, 07:48 AM
If you are using component cable for digital output, it is recommended to use the green color cable for digital application since green cable [should] have higher bandwidth than Red or Blue color cables.

Wouldn't all the cables in the set have the same construction? :confused:

School me, big guy.

pixelthis
12-02-2010, 12:12 PM

School me, big guy.

PROBABLY.
Its just easier that each cable be able to handle any part of a signal. And any cable that
can handle video can easily handle audio, not always the case the other way around.
I have a ton of old cables, in the "spares" box, HDMI has rendered a lot of them obsolete.:1:

Smokey
12-02-2010, 07:21 PM

Most of them probably do, but I'm assuming there are some out there that don't have same construction as to save money.

The reason is that green color cable carry twice bandwidth of Red or Blue cable, so one probably can get away by using different set of cable for green and red/blue. They could look the same, but green might have lower capacitance than red or blue cable.

markw
12-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Yet, in the real world, component cables are all the same cable with different colored ends on the cables for the sake of convenience.

If you're feeling really froggy, simply switch 'em around and see if there's any difference.

Betcha ya can't tell and, even if you said you could, I wouldn't believe ya. ;).

Smokey
12-03-2010, 05:41 PM
If you're feeling really froggy, simply switch 'em around and see if there's any difference. Betcha ya can't tell and, even if you said you could, I wouldn't believe ya. ;).

A little bit of placebo effect might not hurt here :D

markw
12-04-2010, 02:44 AM
A little bit of placebo effect might not hurt here :DNo, try a bit of reality.

Mental masturbation, like the other kind, is something you should practice in private.

eisforelectronic
12-04-2010, 07:17 AM
The difference between cables meant for audio and ones meant for video is that cables constructed specifically for audio contain a twisted pair and ones for video are typically a single straight through. Now every company has it's own theory so this is not a strict rule, more of a guideline. So if the given company follows this guideline then generally it's better to use a video cable for Digital coax connections because they share the same construction. I'll use whatever is available though..

02audionoob
12-04-2010, 09:37 AM
At this site they have the same 75-Ohm cable noted for both purposes - digital and video:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023601&p_id=2743&seq=1&format=2

Smokey
12-04-2010, 10:59 PM
No, try a bit of reality.

Reality is that if some cable manufacture in china can save few pennies by using lower bandwidth cable for Red/blue-and still keep the same high bandwidth specification (over 60 mhz), they might do it.

markw
12-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Reality is that if some cable manufacture in china can save few pennies by using inferior cable for Red/blue-and still keep same bandwidth specification (over 60 mhz), they might do it.So, you just "assume" there will be a price difference between these three "video" cables, do ya? Do yourself a favor. Get some ideas of real costs involved before putting forth such half-a$$ed suppositions based on nothing except too much time on your hands.

So,either put up some proof of your "beliefs"or stop making this floor sticky.