So what did you buy on Black Friday??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So what did you buy on Black Friday???

dakatabg
11-27-2010, 10:53 PM
I went in the morning and I bought a bunch of things, well from the electronic part I got the newest Ipod touch 4th generation! That thing is cool, it has 2 cameras and records voices! I use it for the email but it is a great gadget. What did you guys buy???

Poultrygeist
11-28-2010, 05:42 AM
My Pep Boys Black Friday/Saturday purchases

30 qts of Castrol GTX
30 qts of Pennzoil
6 free Frams
6 free Purolators
total cost = $84 ( for 12 DIY oil changes - now that ain't too shabby )

poppachubby
11-28-2010, 06:01 AM
SanDisk Sansa Clip (which plays FLAC) and a Sharp Aquos BDP. I'm super pleased with both.

TheHills44060
11-28-2010, 06:39 AM
Went furniture shopping for the new house. Did not actually buy anything but picked out a whole bedroom set that I'll most likely buy next week.

Stayed away from the retail stores for the most part. Stopped at barnes & noble for some starbucks then went out for dinner and drinks that night. Oh yeah I also made a quick stop at Walmart to pick up a Garmin GPS for my mom but the price was 40$ over what was listed on their internet site?!?!? Ended up ordering 2 off of Amazon for even less.

Mingus
11-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Was at a Sony Store at an upstate NY outlet and bought my sister a HT receiver. She said she wanted something simple.

Feanor
11-28-2010, 08:06 AM
I went in the morning and I bought a bunch of things, well from the electronic part I got the newest Ipod touch 4th generation! That thing is cool, it has 2 cameras and records voices! I use it for the email but it is a great gadget. What did you guys buy???
Nothing, although I did download the free Ubuntu 10.10 and load it on a redundant computer.

JohnMichael
11-28-2010, 08:20 AM
I did not shop Black Friday since I had already bought me enough presents. I now have a new Canon 50D which I love, next was the Audio Technica F7 that is performing quite nicely and finally the Canon 430EX II which should arrive this week. Of course there is a certain lens I have my eye on that I think I would like to be looking through.

For my friends that are hard to buy for and need nothing I donate to organizations in their name. A favorite of mine is Heifer.org and I noticed they had an ad on this site. I also suggest you donate to your local food pantries and shelters if possible. Toys for me and donations for them wow I kind of suck as a friend.

ForeverAutumn
11-28-2010, 09:33 AM
A lot of Canadian retailers are now holding Black Friday sales to try and keep Canadians from going into the the US to shop. So we now get two great bargain days...Black Friday and Boxing Day (December 26).

I picked up a new Panasonic radio/cd/ipod player for our kitchen and saved $40 on it. :)

pixelthis
11-28-2010, 04:44 PM
A six pack of "medicine" to get me through the holidays(don't worry Dorothy, I'll save
you from that mean old witch!).:1:

(insert picture of monkey drinking whiskey, as "server" is "busy")

Mr Peabody
11-29-2010, 07:35 PM
The first time I ever ventured out in that mess. A friend and I hit Wal-Mart at midnight to snag $5.00 Blu-rays. It's just like you see on TV, insane. We saw people running for the door, the entire parking spots was full, it was difficult to get through the store, we managed to raffle through the bins only to see every check out line open and lined up back into the store, but after all that you're sort of committed. I hated to go through all that and then give up at the line :) I managed to get about 8 movies. Some I had on DVD but $5.00 was a very cheap upgrade. I watched I-Robot so far and it was a nice improvement over the DVD, especially on audio. A couple I picked up which I some how didn't have yet like Departed, Heat and one of the Die Hard flicks. I have to say it will have to be something I want really really bad to get me to do that again.

frahengeo
11-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Did all my shopping online.

Bought several blu ray titles through B&N, and Amazon. Lots of titles @ $10 and under.

pixelthis
11-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Learned my lesson last year, you are literally risking your life at these "sales".
ONE guy, for his reward for being first in line, was trampled and had to go to the hospital.
A few bucks off of the latest electronic doodad ain't worth it.:1:

dean_martin
11-30-2010, 02:56 PM
The wife and I took a nap after Thanksgiving dinner then ventured out to an outlet mall that was supposed to be opening at midnight though we heard rumors that some of the stores were opening at 10:00pm. We arrived at 11:00 and some stores were open. Between 12:00 and 12:30 the place started filling up fast. We were able to get gifts, mostly clothing, for our boys who still don't think they should have to spend their own money on necessities like clothing. Picked up some handbags and trinket jewelry (I'm sure there's another name for it) for the females on our list. I got 2-for-1 underwear (much needed) and we got the hell out of there.

Friday we slept in and stayed in. Saturday we did the in-store pick-up thing at best buy and got a red Wii for $149 ($169 - $20 in reward zone certificates). I hit a liquor store to see what kind of holiday packages were out this year and found something cool for my brother. I ordered a Marantz bdp - heavily discounted model that's recently been replaced - but it hasn't arrived yet. I hope it works well with standard def dvds. I'm not too excited about replacing all my dvds with blu-ray.

Then, we officially put the brakes on so as not to check into the poor house before the end of the year and joined Rev. Billy's Church of Stop Shopping to be saved from the Shopocalypse.

I wasn't going anywhere near a Wal-Mart or Target or the like over the weekend.

Woochifer
12-01-2010, 08:23 PM
This year it was all about the growing list of kids on our shopping list. That's why I did the ultimate in Black Friday insanity -- Toys R Us at 11pm Thanksgiving night!

It took over an hour just to get into the store (even though Best Buy didn't open until 5am, the line already went completely around the building ... people had tents and brought grills with them, it looked like a football tailgate).

Once I was inside the store, there were no shopping carts available (people in line were hoarding them), so I was lugging a pile of boxes around the store until an employee offered to haul the pile over to the customer service desk where they'd hold it for me. Say what you will about the customer service at these big box stores, but at this Toys R Us at least, the service was outstanding that night.

I wound up finding a cart and after piling everything in, it took another 1 1/2 hours of waiting just to get to the checkout.

It was nuts, but I picked up a lot of toys for 50-60% off and now only have two kids left to buy for. Very productive trip, all things considered. Didn't get home until 3:30am

I'd actually thought about going to Best Buy to grab some Blu-rays and that half-off Harmony remote, but I decided that sleep was more valuable!

blackraven
12-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Bought a Dell Inspiron 14R laptop for my son for college. I probably should have waited till after Jan. 1st to buy but I got a pretty good deal for 14" laptop with I-3 370 processor and Radeon HD-550v graphics card so that he can do a little gaming as well as school work.