Can I play DVD-audio on my PS3? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can I play DVD-audio on my PS3?

audio amateur
11-26-2010, 05:19 AM
I have a PS3 slim, will it play a DVD-audio such as this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vespertine-DVD-AUDIO-Bjork/dp/B00005NSXN

jvc
11-26-2010, 05:56 AM
The first customer review says this:

If you don't own a DVDA yet, well a good compromise is DVDVideo compatable 5.1 which comes on side 1 (yes there are three versions on this one disk!) so you can enjoy the surround effects (albeit at a reduced sample rate) whilst waiting for an excuse to shell out for that DVDA player.
So yes, you should be able to.

pixelthis
11-28-2010, 04:39 PM
ANYTHING that plays DVD is supposed to play DVD audio, but if its not a DVD audio
player it will only play the limited tracks that will not be full range like DVD audio.
In other words, YES and NO. not that important anyway, the format is dead.
I have about ten discs, only reason I keep a player around, that and its about the best
sounding CD player you have ever heard.:1:

E-Stat
11-28-2010, 06:58 PM
not that important anyway, the format is dead.
Which is irrelevant if the musical content you want to hear is in that format!

rw

pixelthis
11-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Which is irrelevant if the musical content you want to hear is in that format!

rw

like I said.
If you don't have any "legacy" discs, like I do, stay away from DVD audio, about as
relevant as eight track tapes.
And the "musical content " you want to hear will not be in "that format", as its pretty much
toast. You want a certain musical performance it would be a lot less hassle to get it in CD.:1:

E-Stat
11-29-2010, 02:18 PM
like I said.
If you don't have any "legacy" discs, like I do, stay away from DVD audio, about as
relevant as eight track tapes.
And the "musical content " you want to hear will not be in "that format", as its pretty much
toast. You want a certain musical performance it would be a lot less hassle to get it in CD.:1:
None of which is pertinent to answering aa's question.

rw

Woochifer
12-01-2010, 06:05 PM
The short answer is yes and no.

Yes, it will play audio from a DVD-A disc.

No, it will not play the high resolution 5.1 PCM audio from the DVD-Audio layer.

Basically, DVD-A discs are pressed with two layers.

One is a video-compatible DVD-Video layer that will play on ANY DVD player. The DVD-V layer will typically come with a 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS track and a two-channel audio track. With DVD-V, that two-channel track can be either 2.0 DD/DTS, or two-channel uncompressed PCM (up to 96 kHz/24-bit resolution).

The DVD-Audio layer can only be read by DVD-A compatible players. The PS3 is NOT a DVD-A compatible player. The DVD-A layer will feature 5.1 PCM tracks with up to 96 kHz/24-bit resolution and/or two-channel PCM tracks with up to 192/24 resolution.

pixelthis
12-02-2010, 12:04 PM
None of which is pertinent to answering aa's question.

rw

I think he got the gist of what I was saying, which you did not.
Mainly that DVD audio is toast, not worth wasting your time.
The younger set is too busy downloading cheap MP3, and so called "audiophiles"
are mostly hypnotized by tech developed before 1960.:1:

GMichael
12-02-2010, 12:30 PM
I think he got the gist of what I was saying, which you did not.
Mainly that DVD audio is toast, not worth wasting your time.
The younger set is too busy downloading cheap MP3, and so called "audiophiles"
are mostly hypnotized by tech developed before 1960.:1:

But that doesn't mean that he can't enjoy DVD audio if he already has something to play the disk on.