are there true wifi speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : are there true wifi speakers?

zinneken
11-25-2010, 03:57 AM
I'm looking for true wifi (IEEE 802.11n for example) speakers. I would like for my computer to play its music through wifi speakers, directly from the computer's wifi connection, without dongle or transmitter. Are there any (portable) speakers like that around?

I could find plenty which require a dongle, or transmitter for other wireless signals/standards, but none which the computer can directly access. Thanks!

evilspoons
12-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Nothing standardized exists that will do 100% of your audio from your computer.

HOWEVER, if you use iTunes and/or an iPod, the Apple Airport Express has an audio-out jack. The Express will connect to an existing WiFi network and stream audio out its jack, you just choose the device from iTunes and you're up and running. I use mine all the time.

The Apple TV can also be used as a target to receive an iTunes audio stream.

Additionally, Apple is rebranding this as 'AirPlay', and they are FINALLY licensing it to third parties - this means you'll be able to do the same streaming directly to some "AirPlay Enabled" boom boxes, receivers (see Denon), etc.

Note there are some unofficial ways of streaming whatever the heck you want through the AirPlay method, I haven't really looked into them lately so I can't give you any advice on whether they're practical.