Is it time to give thanks? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to give thanks?

Mr MidFi
11-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Thanksgiving happens every year, and often it comes and goes without much notice. But for some reason, I'm really feeling appreciative for everything I have this year. Are you feeling it right now, too?

I'm in good health, so is my family, and so are my friends. Business is decent, despite the awful economy. My daughter has been applying to colleges, and she's already been accepted at one of her top choices. And life has not thrown me any significant curveballs this year, and I know that a lot of people can't really say that. I'm a lucky bastard, and I know it.

Then there's music. Sweet music, it's sustained me through many tough times in the past and enhanced the pleasure of all the good times as well. After all these years, it's still my best friend and constant companion.

My other great passion, as some of you know, is travel. And this has been the most awesome year ever for us on that score, with amazing trips to Istanbul, Cappadocia, Norway, Denmark and Mexico. Plus, there's my annual vacation-from-adulthood at Lollapalooza (see previous paragraph).

And as always, I am grateful for the sacrifices that our best and bravest are making in the armed services.

So come on, let's hear it. What are you feeling especially thankful for?

Hyfi
11-24-2010, 08:30 AM
My year has not been as good as yours but I am still thankful that I still have a decent job. Health is another issue for me and my wife's parents. All in all it has been one very stressful year and I would love to be able to just skip all the but that goes along with these holidays.

Where were you in Norway? I was there a few years ago in Kristiansand, Kragero, and Oslo. Awesome country!

GMichael
11-24-2010, 08:39 AM
With our little girl about to turn 16 months, she is the biggest thanks we have this year. Everything she does is just too cute for words. One of the first few words or expressions she has learned is to say “thankgue” whenever someone hands her something or calls her cute. It’s the most amazing feeling when I see how shocked others are when she springs that on them.

Mr MidFi
11-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Where were you in Norway? I was there a few years ago in Kristiansand, Kragero, and Oslo. Awesome country!

Oslo, Bergen... and way on out in the fjord country. We absolutely loved it!

If you have a few minutes, here's our trip report w/ pretty pix...

http://www.onelittleworld.com/norden_1.html

Hyfi
11-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Oslo, Bergen... and way on out in the fjord country. We absolutely loved it!

If you have a few minutes, here's our trip report w/ pretty pix...

http://www.onelittleworld.com/norden_1.html

Are they your photos? Isn't Vigeland Sculpture Park awesome? I got some great shots there. We also took the train up to Holmenkolen Olympic Ski Jump and all the way to the top of the mountain to the old Frognerseteren restaurant.

Mr MidFi
11-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Are they your photos? Isn't Vigeland Sculpture Park awesome?

Yes. And yes. That whole trip was ridiculously scenic.

Actually, about half the shots are my wife's... but we work as a team.

Pix galore!
http://onelittleworld.zenfolio.com/f301120018

MasterCylinder
11-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanksgiving happens every year, and often it comes and goes without much notice. But for some reason, I'm really feeling appreciative for everything I have this year. Are you feeling it right now, too?

My daughter has been applying to colleges, and she's already been accepted at one of her top choices.

My daughter is a junior at an excellent out-of-state university.
If you are in my situation, your bank account is about to go into shock.
If you are anticipating that, revise your estimates upward anyway.

But yes, I'm very thankful.....................

Mr MidFi
11-24-2010, 10:17 AM
If you are in my situation, your bank account is about to go into shock. If you are anticipating that, revise your estimates upward anyway.

Yeah, I've been told it's like getting party-ice. Figure out exactly how much you're going to need... and then double it.

OK, enough about me and my life.
What are you guys most thankful for this year? Let's hear it!

MasterCylinder
11-24-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm thankful I have a great job and career and, after 28 years of service, I am eligible for full retirement next Wednesday.
I am thankful I have a smart and devoted wife.
I am thankful I play at the most beautiful golf courses in the United States.
I am thankful my AV system still works very well.

But mostly, I am thankful I have only one kid to put through college !

ForeverAutumn
11-24-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm thankful I have a great job and career and, after 28 years of service, I am eligible for full retirement next Wednesday.

Lucky guy! Congratulations!

I'm a thankful Canadian, can I play?

I'm thankful for my wonderful mother and brothers and their families (I had to say that in case BarryL turns up here :wink5:).
I'm thankful that I have an amazing husband who loves and supports me in spite of the overflowing piles of CDs and multitude of speakers stored around the house.
I'm thankful that I go to sleep every night with food in the fridge and a roof over my head.
I'm thankful for my friends (virtual friends included) who make me laugh and will provide a shoulder to cry on if ever needed.
I'm thankful that I don't need a shoulder to cry on.
I'm thankful that a couple of health scares this year both turned out to be nothing.

Stone
11-24-2010, 11:10 AM
I am thankful for my two great kids. They really have kept me going through a pretty tough year.

I am thankful to have made a very good and supportive friend over the past few months.

I am also thankful to have a good job, at a good firm, and for my kids, my friends and family all to be in generally good health.

And lastly, I am thankful to artists (of whatever medium) who practice their art. Music, books, TV shows (Freaks and Geeks, especially), and movies have been a great distraction throughout this trying year.

Swish
11-24-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm thankful for so many things in 2010 because 2009 was not the best.

I'm thankful for my large extended family (I'm one of 8, my wife one of 10) and the fact that my parents (dad soon to be 88 and mom will be 85), and my mother-in-law are still with us.

I'm thankful that my job of 2+ years (3rd 'new' job in less than 4years) is going well, especially the last few months.

I'm thankful my prostate cancer appears to be gone (not many of you knew about that) but I'm not totally out of the woods yet.

I'm thankful for my many circles of friends, including here on Rave Recs.

I'm thankful for my granddaughter Nora, who is the light of my life.

There's lots more, but that covers the most important stuff.

Swishdaddy

Mr MidFi
11-24-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm an idiot for not mentioning my lovely wife in my first post. Seriously, she is the best thing that ever happened to me... by a wide margin. The fact that she loves good music AND traveling AND sports is just so much icing on the cake, man!

Keep 'em coming. Yes, Canadians too. And anyone else, for that matter.

Rae
11-24-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm thankful my prostate cancer appears to be gone (not many of you knew about that) but I'm not totally out of the woods yet.

Oh man, no I did not. I'm glad to hear that you're on the upswing... hopefully you've had support to get through that.

I'm thankful for plenty--

My fiercely awesome lady friend of almost four years now, who tore it up on the floor at last night's Grinderman show at First Avenue!

My family, including my brand new niece Izzy (one month old).

My beloved hometown of Minneapolis, which is being dusted with snow at this very moment. This city keeps humming and churning out great people, art, and activity. So many things about this place resonate deep inside me every day.

My immediate geographic community, including the monkeyhouse of folks that I live with and my neighborhood that's packed with amazing, diverse, and busy people.

The diaspora of friends that I have far and wide, including you guys here!

The broader community of folks who I work with in the homeless community here, who show boundless reserves of compassion, patience, dedication, and resourcefulness every day. The current economic and political climate is making things tougher and tougher but I know so many folks who act as islands in that stream.

The community of people here in Minneapolis who are making art, music, and other projects all the time. Tonight I get to play with my friends in a Moondog cover band, and who couldn't be thankful for that?

~Rae

Luvin Da Blues
11-24-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm thankful that I'm not the only one obsessed with music and sound equipment. Also that our neighbors to the south are friendly (to us anyway).

..and Happy TG to all the 'mericans on this site.