Crowded House - Intriguer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Crowded House - Intriguer

ForeverAutumn
11-24-2010, 06:48 AM
I have been a huge Crowded House fan right from the beginning. They could do no wrong in my opinion and I was heart-broken when they broke up....then elated when they got back together. Their return CD, Time on Earth was very dissappointing for me. With so much time in between CDs to have written songs, I was expecting great things. But that didn't happen IMO. The album was dark and brooding, recorded after the suicide of CH's former drummer and friend, Paul Hester, it's understandable that Finn may have been in a more melancholy mood while recording this, but it just never worked for me. So, after the disappointment that was Time on Earth, I was hesitant to buy Intriguer.

I finally pulled the plug a couple of weeks ago and I'm sorry that I waited. Although this CD is still not up to the former glory of classic albums like Temple of Low Men and Woodface, this is a very good disk and more back to form. If not expressing the same quirkiness of their earlier work there are, at least, hints of it here. This is a new era and a new Crowded House...and that's not a bad thing.

It's taken a while to grow on me, but this CD is getting better with every listen. The songs are catchy without being too hooky and annoying. The second track, Archer's Arrows sound like it could have been an early Bowie tune and is probably my favourite track. But that could change, I'm hearing new things on each listen. The intricacies of simple melodies are what I've always loved about this band.

If you're a CH fan, you have to have this album. I was doubtful about the band's future after Time On Earth, but Intriguer has restored my faith and put them back on my auto-buy list.

Finch Platte
11-24-2010, 10:02 AM
I bought this for 50 cents ($1,423,598 Can.) the other day, and haven't even listened to it yet. Like you, I was a huge fan of the first disc, but after that, my love for them drove off a cliff. That's why I haven't had the desire to even listen to the new one. Guess I'll give it listen, if you say it's worth it.

I remember a while back in an interview, one of the members dissing that first disc (sloppy? Poorly recorded?) and thinking- WTF?!? Are you crazy? It's a fookin' classic & you're slagging it off. Loser.

ForeverAutumn
11-24-2010, 10:15 AM
I bought this for 50 cents ($1,423,598 Can.) the other day, and haven't even listened to it yet. Like you, I was a huge fan of the first disc, but after that, my love for them drove off a cliff. That's why I haven't had the desire to even listen to the new one. Guess I'll give it listen, if you say it's worth it.

I remember a while back in an interview, one of the members dissing that first disc (sloppy? Poorly recorded?) and thinking- WTF?!? Are you crazy? It's a fookin' classic & you're slagging it off. Loser.

You may not like it if you only liked the first disk and not the others. Give it a few spins before you write it off. It was a bit of a grower for me.

thekid
11-24-2010, 11:08 AM
FA- I am a fan of CH myself and the fact I rarely come across their stuff in the thrifts tells me people hold on to it. If you like CH I would also recommend another band from that corner of the world..... Paul Kelly and the Messengers

poppachubby
11-25-2010, 02:10 AM
Thanks FA, another fan here. I also love Split Enz probably more than CH. I'll check it out. Have you heard the latest Hawksley Workman?

ForeverAutumn
11-25-2010, 06:13 AM
FA- I am a fan of CH myself and the fact I rarely come across their stuff in the thrifts tells me people hold on to it. If you like CH I would also recommend another band from that corner of the world..... Paul Kelly and the Messengers

Thanks for the rec Kid, I'll check out Paul Kelly.

Have you heard the latest Hawksley Workman?

No, I haven't. Have you? Is it any good?

I've been spinning the new Bedioun Soundclash. I'm not sure whether you like them but Hubby and I are big fans. The new disk is very good. I'm a little surprised at how fresh they're able to keep their sound considering how distinctive it is.

poppachubby
11-26-2010, 02:56 AM
Yes you should pick up the Workman if you're looking for something new and interesting.

I don't mind Bedouin Soudnclash, but I am not a big fan. I hear too many of their influences to get too excited about their music. A good friend of mine discovered them years ago before they got a deal. I always thought of them as that "Police" band.

FA I have 7 original LPs of Byron Lee and the Dragonairres. Real jamaican ska, no vocals. I will be ripping it shortly, I have to make copies for member "Nobody" if he is still alive. I must also track him down. Would you like some copies?

ForeverAutumn
11-26-2010, 06:18 AM
FA I have 7 original LPs of Byron Lee and the Dragonairres. Real jamaican ska, no vocals. I will be ripping it shortly, I have to make copies for member "Nobody" if he is still alive. I must also track him down. Would you like some copies?

If you're ripping them anyway, I'd be curious to hear them. Thanks! I'll PM you my addy. :)

It's likely I'll be getting some gift certs for Christmas so I'm putting a hold on most of my CD and book purchases for a while. But I'll add the HW disk to my wish list and pick it up after Christmas.

Finch Platte
11-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Yes you should pick up the Workman if you're looking for something new and interesting.

I don't mind Bedouin Soudnclash, but I am not a big fan. I hear too many of their influences to get too excited about their music. A good friend of mine discovered them years ago before they got a deal. I always thought of them as that "Police" band.

I see nobody all the time over on the Obner.org board, so he's still around.

ForeverAutumn
11-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Hey Pinch Flatte, have you listened to the disk yet?

nobody
11-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Sorry I've not been around for a while, but I do remember your talking about those records and absolutely am still interested in hearing them if possible...no pressure at all, of course.

poppachubby
11-30-2010, 03:13 AM
Ask and ye shall receive. Nice. Dave how have you been? You dropped out and I have forgotten about ripping those until FA's thread here.

Funny because I have been on a ripping rampage lately. I work continental shifts now, which means I will be super absent from here, or super present. I have Wed/Thurs off and will most certainly get it done.

The box is still functioning and I hope you check it still. I've got some great blues and jazz in it right now. Anyhow that's where I'll put the files.

BTW, your message box is full here at AR.

nobody
11-30-2010, 04:39 AM
New computer and I never installed dropbox...think I am gonna go remedy that right about now...soon as I clean out my inbox.

poppachubby
11-30-2010, 05:31 PM
New computer and I never installed dropbox...think I am gonna go remedy that right about now...soon as I clean out my inbox.

OK Dave, PM me your addy that's attached to Dropbox so I may invite you back to the box. Please feel free to copy what's there, some great stuff. BTW, don't drag the files out, copy only.

I'll email you once I start adding the ska.

nobody
12-03-2010, 08:06 AM
I just popped an old Desmond Dekker album I burned from vinyl in there as well as a good Blue Note jazz comp also from vinyl. Also, an old punk record from the Fiends that you'd probably not like. I just copied them in there this morning so they were still uploading when I left for work...should be up by now I'd guess.