Netflix intros $8 streaming plan [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Netflix intros $8 streaming plan

Smokey
11-23-2010, 06:47 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/11/netflix-prices-2010-11-22-299.jpg

Netflix has finally introduced its long-awaited streaming-only plan. The new plan would cost $7.99 per month—$1 less than the old one-DVD-plus-streaming plan. Those who still want to stream and get DVDs will have to open their wallets, though, because the company is raising prices on all of its DVD plans.

"You might also wonder why we haven’t introduced a new plan that includes only DVDs by mail," Netflix VP of Marketing Jessie Becker wrote. "The fact is that Netflix members are already watching more TV episodes and movies streamed instantly over the Internet than on DVDs, and we expect that trend to continue."

But still, some of the best movies are still DVD-only on Netflix (a long-standing complaint among prolific streamers),

http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2010/11/netflix-intros-799-streaming-only-plan-bumps-dvd-prices.ars

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-25-2010, 08:56 AM
I still have the disc and streaming option, though with the price increase I am probably going to cut back on the amount of DVD I have at one time.

If Netflix is going to become the streaming company they say they are, they better get more titles into the streaming cue. While they have quite a few now, they have FAR more DVD's. They also need to get up to snuff on 5.1 audio as well if they expect folks to move from DVD's to streaming. IMO they don't need to waste time with 1080p, as DVD isn't 1080p, or 720p for that matter.

Streaming is great and convient, but it won't stop me from purchasing the disc. I like owning the disc, not having the content in a cloud that does not belong to me. Netflix has been known to have technical difficulties, and when they do, I do not want it to affect my viewing time.

mlsstl
11-25-2010, 09:42 AM
I've used the Netflix streaming semi regularly for a bit over a year and it is a very nice option.

I suspect they'd love to get rid of the mailers and stick to all streaming. However I think performance rights negotiations are probably the hang-up on the stuff they have available on DVD that isn't yet in the streaming queue.

Smokey
11-25-2010, 04:00 PM
IMO they don't need to waste time with 1080p, as DVD isn't 1080p, or 720p for that matter.

Isn't netflix HD feed (720p and 1080p) from HD sources?

I guess it does not matter after amount of compression HD content have to go thru for streaming. Given that netflix 720p stream bit rate is 4 mbps and DVD bit rate is 9 mbps, one wonder if HD picture quality feed will be better than DVD.

However I think performance rights negotiations are probably the hang-up on the stuff they have available on DVD that isn't yet in the streaming queue.

Or could it be the bandwidth capabilty.

Mr Peabody
11-25-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm looking at replacing a TV and I find the built in internet capability very interesting and I plan to get it. This goes to show the industry is really trying to push the streaming thing. Even Vizio has the option. Netflix probably doesn't need to but they should do like satelite radio in cars, offer a couple months free to get people to hook up and try it when buying a TV or BDP with the streaming.

Smokey
11-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Netflix probably doesn't need to but they should do like satelite radio in cars, offer a couple months free to get people to hook up and try it when buying a TV or BDP with the streaming.

I think they did free memebrship drive a month ago or so, so maybe they do it again. But I'm like Sir TT-like my movies on hard disc as it is a commodity.

Woochifer
12-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Yeah, my wife just got back on Netflix to catch up on TV shows. We subscribed to Netflix when she was expecting. Once the baby became mobile, she didn't have as much time for TV. Now that our daughter's old enough to find her own distractions, my wife wants her TV time back.

The image quality's definitely a step down from Blu-ray and HD broadcast. I don't think the programs I saw were HD resolution, but they actually look comparable to DVD quality even over a 3.0 Mbps connection.