Recommend a budget speaker for my NAD C740? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a budget speaker for my NAD C740?

blackdog-audio
11-23-2010, 07:17 AM
Hi. I'm new to the site.
Just purchased a NAD C740 and it's not hooked up yet. We have some very old Bose 201 Series 2 that we'll be using for a short while, but I'd like to upgrade soon. I like used gear. Any recommendations for a bookshelf that's under $400/pr used?
Wide range of music: Lots of blues, some jazz, some indie, alt jazz (Frisell, Scofield). I like listening on the loud side. Small room with hardwood floor, 8' ceiling and a couple of couches.

I am headed towards older B&W DM303/302 or even some B&W 685, but the latter are bit out of my price range for now.

Thanks in advance.

atomicAdam
11-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Welcome Black-dog Audio -

Well - here are some suggestions -

Quad IIL
Tekton - http://www.tektondesign.com/ModelOB45.htm
Paradigm Referen ce studio 20 v4

A better question might be - what type of sound are you after?
B&W are pretty good for Jazz and Rock. You will def want to put a rug between you and the speakers and dampen your 1st reflection points. Getting the room under control will make any speaker you go with sound so much better.

blackdog-audio
11-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Adam
Thanks for the suggestions. Will research and search archives here.

Although I've done a bit of live mixing in the past, I've never had the opportunity to "get audiophile" at home. I like punchy mids with electric blues or Steely Dan, but I like it flat with classical. I'd push the bottom end a bit and have it warmer with Joey Defrancesco/B3 organ, etc. Of course, having a wide variety of musical tastes, I'd probably opt for as natural or flat a response as possible. Also, I know that my ears will adapt to varying speaker colorations if there's no comparison on a day-to-day basis.

(that doesn't help much I know)

harley .guy07
11-23-2010, 09:13 AM
I would check out the Usher S 520 as they do have a real good sound for the money and from what I understand they have decent dynamics for as small as they are.

Paradigm is always a pretty good value choice at the price class you are shopping in.

while I have not heard them for myself Axiom seems to get a good amount of press saying that they are very good for the money and I do think some of the people on this forum have worked with them and would have a little more insight than I do but I do know that their bookshelf speakers are in the price range you spoke of used.

I usually go on audiogon.com and look around and see whats out there and what the prices are on different products and then do research to see how it made and how good it is but I will say that there is no substitute for going to a shop and hearing speakers first hand and I would say that would be the ultimate thing to do if this is possible but will understand if it is not since higher end shops are far and in between nowadays. Good luck with your search.

Poultrygeist
11-24-2010, 05:01 PM
I agree with Adam's recommendation of the Tekton 4.5 OB's which are on sale right now for $475. I have a pair of bass reflex Tekton 4.5's and they have detail and imaging to die for but the 4.5 OB's are in another galaxy. You will never find anything for the price that can come close to the 4.5 OB's. Those NAD 35 watts couldn't be put to better use.

LeRoy
11-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Hi. I'm new to the site.
Just purchased a NAD C740 and it's not hooked up yet. We have some very old Bose 201 Series 2 that we'll be using for a short while, but I'd like to upgrade soon. I like used gear. Any recommendations for a bookshelf that's under $400/pr used?
Wide range of music: Lots of blues, some jazz, some indie, alt jazz (Frisell, Scofield). I like listening on the loud side. Small room with hardwood floor, 8' ceiling and a couple of couches.

I am headed towards older B&W DM303/302 or even some B&W 685, but the latter are bit out of my price range for now.

Thanks in advance.

Here is one choice to consider. I've had the 902i from MS and they are quite a musical treat, however, no longer in production. MS has has a new line out, Aviano, and MS recently upgraded the replacement for the 902i.

Here is the link:
http://www.mordauntshort.com/summary.php?PID=99

Another strong recommendation is Canton GLE 403. I currently own a pair of these speakers.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/brand/canton/results/1.html

Good luck with your research and selection.

LeRoy

Mark111867
11-25-2010, 08:01 AM
A pair of Wharfedale Diamonds might be worth checking out. I have a pair of 9.4's (floorstanding model) and they go nicely with my NAD C720BEE. Good luck and have fun.

blackdog-audio
11-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks all.