TV talk [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TV talk

Mr Peabody
11-21-2010, 08:29 PM
The reason I posted this thread is after looking at some TV's I found a lack, in several brands, composite connections. My kids still have movies on VHS and we have a Wii, a DVD recorder with hard drive, hey we still need some old school analog connections. Samsung is really bad only offering one component in addition to the array of HDMI. Oh, they waste effort making this connection switchable from composite to component but you still have to make a choice unless willing to switch from one thing to another, what a pain that would be. Would any one else be concerned about this? I don't want to just toss this stuff. As bad as I would hate to it's making getting the Sony fixed a viable option. I was really interested in those TV's with the built in streaming feature.

Background: I have been having an intermitten problem with my Sony tube HDTV. This is the second time, the first was fixed under warranty, this is a different issue. So I have been looking at new sets. I wanted LED because the TV would be used by all the family and video games would be played. Didn't want to risk Plasma burn in. I want something between 40 and 50". Sometimes when we turn the Sony on the power switch goes on but the TV doesn't. I suspect an issue with that delayed turn on feature, like a bad relay or something.

Hyfi
11-22-2010, 04:05 AM
Mr. P,

I have a brand new in the box Slingbox HD connector which somehow converts RGB/V/LR-audio to and from HDMI. I don't see why it wouldn't work as a plain converter and not need a slingbox. I already started using the Slingbox Turbo Ports in my network that use house wiring to overcome a bad wireless location. PM me if you have any interest in it. As far as I can tell, they have discontinued it due to not many people having non-hdmi devices.

pixelthis
11-22-2010, 02:06 PM
The reason I posted this thread is after looking at some TV's I found a lack, in several brands, composite connections. My kids still have movies on VHS and we have a Wii, a DVD recorder with hard drive, hey we still need some old school analog connections. Samsung is really bad only offering one component in addition to the array of HDMI. Oh, they waste effort making this connection switchable from composite to component but you still have to make a choice unless willing to switch from one thing to another, what a pain that would be. Would any one else be concerned about this? I don't want to just toss this stuff. As bad as I would hate to it's making getting the Sony fixed a viable option. I was really interested in those TV's with the built in streaming feature.

Background: I have been having an intermitten problem with my Sony tube HDTV. This is the second time, the first was fixed under warranty, this is a different issue. So I have been looking at new sets. I wanted LED because the TV would be used by all the family and video games would be played. Didn't want to risk Plasma burn in. I want something between 40 and 50". Sometimes when we turn the Sony on the power switch goes on but the TV doesn't. I suspect an issue with that delayed turn on feature, like a bad relay or something.

Your problem has the simplest fix, mainly a composite switcher.
But analog is going by the boards, mostly through the paranoia of the studios, but the advent of HDMI finally promises a simple connection and content protection.
Myself, I find that the two composite inputs on my new set are a bit of overkill.
I ALWAYS use the highest quality connection, and the lowest I use regularly is component on my old PANNY DVD that I use as a CD player.
I DIDN'T EVEN USE composite when I STILL had VCR's, MY VCRS being SVCRS,
using SVHS connectors. MATTER of fact, I can't remember the last device I used that
needed composite after 1985 or so.
HORSE and buggy.:1:

Smokey
11-22-2010, 05:28 PM
The reason I posted this thread is after looking at some TV's I found a lack, in several brands, composite connections.

Not only new TVs are short on composite, but also on S-video input too. And to make it worse, no analog audio output either. I mean if your stereo does not have a DAC to utilize TV digital output, you are pretty much stuck with TV speakers.

audio amateur
11-23-2010, 01:38 AM
My Samsung has 1 component, 1 composite and 1 scart. It also has a 15 pin vga for computer connection. Out of the 3 connection, the only one i'm likely to use is the component (with my playstation 1 and 2).

pixelthis
11-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Not only new TVs are short on composite, but also on S-video input too. And to make it worse, no analog audio output either. I mean if your stereo does not have a DAC to utilize TV digital output, you are pretty much stuck with TV speakers.

they sell DACS online, primarily intended for computers, they will probably work for a TV out.
Not very expensive, really. And it would only give you stereo (which is all you get anyway
with analog outs) but why not a cheap VCR ? Line in from your audio source, line out
to your amp.
BEST would be one of those converter boxes, some have composite outputs.
CAN'T beleive there is no fix to this problem.:1:

02audionoob
11-23-2010, 02:44 PM
I haven't looked around much lately, but last time I looked the 46-inch Sony Bravia still had a composite input on the side panel.

Mr Peabody
11-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Thought I'd come back to let you all know I pulled the trigger on a Toshiba 46vx700u. It has two composite in addition to HDMI and I believe one component, as well as USB and computer hook up. This set features the built in streaming, I had to check this out. I didn't want Sony again, I do wish I had taken a closer look at what Panasonic had. Shame about Samsung's decision their PQ on the LED sure is good.

Your favorite brand Pix, and VHS is going to make a come back. :)

audio amateur
11-30-2010, 12:34 AM
I hope you'll be happy with the purchase.

Shame about Samsung's decision their PQ on the
Which decision are you refering to?

pixelthis
11-30-2010, 01:01 PM
I haven't looked around much lately, but last time I looked the 46-inch Sony Bravia still had a composite input on the side panel.

THEY ALL DO(my new set has two) but try to find one with analog audio out.:1:

pixelthis
11-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Thought I'd come back to let you all know I pulled the trigger on a Toshiba 46vx700u. It has two composite in addition to HDMI and I believe one component, as well as USB and computer hook up. This set features the built in streaming, I had to check this out. I didn't want Sony again, I do wish I had taken a closer look at what Panasonic had. Shame about Samsung's decision their PQ on the LED sure is good.

Your favorite brand Pix, and VHS is going to make a come back. :)

Yep, Tosh is my favorite...FOR TARGET PRACTICE. Like whiskey, made to sell, not use.
IT WILL either break or your picture will resemble a cartoon after awhile.
A TOSH DVD player, color banding and no DTS, straight outta the box.
REFUSED TO MAKE GOOD, said it was "normal".
A 32" TOSH SD TV, six months after purchase picture looked like an old Popeye the sailor
cartoon."NORMAL" WEAR AND TEAR".
Brother (against my screams of protest) bought the next years model, which died after two years, paid 150 bucks to fix, died after another six months.
CLASS ACTION lawsuit against one of their DVD players, about a 150 thousand irate users.
Went to furniture store a few months ago, about a 40" DLP Tosh FROM A FEW YEARS BACK(quite an old model). When Lowes quit TV sets they had an old display Tosh,
salesman said it was practically brand new. Checked the back, it was two years old.
Toshiba represents everything bad about the electronics industry you can possibly imagine,
have given them chance after chance.
Wouldn't buy an alarm clock from them, don't want to be late to work.
BUT GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS, anyway.:1:

SHIFTY23
11-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Hey i bought the end of last year a Sony Bravia 46Z5500.

This may have been tv would of liked as it has plenty of connections:

Composite 3
Component 2
HDMI 4
VGA 1
USB 1
Ethernet 1

http://www.cnet.com.au/sony-bravia-kdl46z5500_specs-339296715.htm

Smokey
11-30-2010, 06:00 PM
THEY ALL DO(my new set has two) but try to find one with analog audio out.:1:

You don't know how many TV review I see where reviewer was disappointed be he/she could not use their current system or PC speakers due to Tv having only digital audio output. So they are stuck with TV sound or get a new [DAC] processor.

The problem become more apparent if one don't have cable/satellite.

A 32" TOSH SD TV, six months after purchase picture looked like an old Popeye the sailor cartoon."NORMAL" WEAR AND TEAR". Brother (against my screams of protest) bought the next years model, which died after two years, paid 150 bucks to fix, died after another six months.

What year are we talking about?

Toshiba TVs were more of reliable brand before they start outsourcing. I don't know if you remeber or not, but their "Cinema series" CRT TVs revaled Sony and Pansonic higher end "XBR" and SuperFlat models.

I owned one of their 32 inch CRT (SuperTube) back in 1998 and I bet it is still running.

Mr Peabody
11-30-2010, 06:36 PM
AA, I was referring to Samsung's decision not to offer analog inputs, or at least more than one.

I've had good luck with Tosh so far. I hope it works out as well.

What's up with JVC these days? They used to offer a good TV at a reasonable price.

Woochifer
11-30-2010, 11:10 PM
I'd be curious as to which models you're looking at because the 5 and 6 series models I looked up on Samsung's website all have analog composite and component video inputs, as well as analog audio output. The only connection that has definitely been phased out across the board with most manufacturers is S-video. I don't know of any TVs that don't use composite video at all.

If you really want to maintain flexibility with your analog components, your best option is a cheap AV receiver. Even at the $200 price range, you'll now find receivers that do analog video conversion (i.e., composite to component video), and maybe even some that will do the HDMI upconversion. The receiver would also be able to use the digital audio output from the TV.

My old Mitsubishi TV only had one S-video input, and I was using four video S-video sources, so I had no choice but to use the AV receiver for video switching.

pixelthis
12-01-2010, 12:38 PM
You don't know how many TV review I see where reviewer was disappointed be he/she could not use their current system or PC speakers due to Tv having only digital audio output. So they are stuck with TV sound or get a new [DAC] processor.

The problem become more apparent if one don't have cable/satellite.

What year are we talking about?

Toshiba TVs were more of reliable brand before they start outsourcing. I don't know if you remeber or not, but their "Cinema series" CRT TVs revaled Sony and Pansonic higher end "XBR" and SuperFlat models.

I owned one of their 32 inch CRT (SuperTube) back in 1998 and I bet it is still running.

The ninties(early to mid).
Thing that ticked me off the most was their DVD player, didn't they have something to
do with development of the DVD? Red bands of color, no DTS out, said they were
coming out with a firmware fix, never did..:1:

Smokey
12-01-2010, 06:30 PM
I'd be curious as to which models you're looking at because the 5 and 6 series models I looked up on Samsung's website all have analog composite and component video inputs, as well as analog audio output.

I think he might be talking about Samsung 40 inch LCD model that was on sale on Black Friday for $500 and seems it is still at that price. The model number is LN40C500.....

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/LN40C500F3FXZA-features

No composite input, nor audio output.

harley .guy07
12-01-2010, 08:52 PM
I have a Samsung LED and love it. It has one of the best pictures out of all the tv's I looked at in my price class for a lcd or plasma which I wasn't really interested in anyway. But you are right about the connections. They are geared up for hdmi, component, and pc input and they kind of leave you hanging as far as old school hookups go. I do not have a need for these type of hookups but I can see where some would like to have them for older vcr's and such. I do have a vhs collection and a panasonic vcr from the 90's but I have gave up on having it in my system years ago but I do not have kids with movies they have on vhs and if I ever wanted to hook a vcr up at some time I would get a converter because for the most part it would be a temporary hook up anyway.

Woochifer
12-03-2010, 06:21 PM
I think he might be talking about Samsung 40 inch LCD model that was on sale on Black Friday for $500 and seems it is still at that price. The model number is LN40C500.....

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/LN40C500F3FXZA-features

No composite input, nor audio output.

Wow, definitely looks like a bottomfeeder. Surprised that Samsung would put something like this out. $500 is actually the list price, so a Black Friday special would be even less.

I filtered the search to only include the LED models, since that's what MP was looking for. None of the models that came up resorted to removing the composite input. A surprising exclusion given how many people still have external devices like camcorders that use analog composite inputs.

Mr Peabody
12-03-2010, 09:37 PM
I got the Tosh set up last night. I believe it's a Cinema series. At first I thought I was robbed out of my second set of composite inputs but what they did was use one of those 1/8 mini A/V inputs. They have an excellent upconversion, non-HD content looks very good. Of course, Blu looks excellent. The front is all screen, no frame around it at all and it has those touch screen controls. It's very thin. I still have a lot of manual to cover, I want to see about the 120 Hz controls and how to set up the streaming feature. The initial set up was pretty easy, the menu walked you through it and it was ready to play, now I just have to find out what everything does and how much I can mess up :)

pixelthis
12-04-2010, 09:16 PM
I got the Tosh set up last night. I believe it's a Cinema series. At first I thought I was robbed out of my second set of composite inputs but what they did was use one of those 1/8 mini A/V inputs. They have an excellent upconversion, non-HD content looks very good. Of course, Blu looks excellent. The front is all screen, no frame around it at all and it has those touch screen controls. It's very thin. I still have a lot of manual to cover, I want to see about the 120 Hz controls and how to set up the streaming feature. The initial set up was pretty easy, the menu walked you through it and it was ready to play, now I just have to find out what everything does and how much I can mess up :)

Its a TOSHIBA...it messes up automatically.:1: