Its SNOWING! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Its SNOWING!

atomicAdam
11-21-2010, 05:33 AM
Ok - i know this isn't a big deal for folks who have been living in snow already, but for me, this is amazing! It started at about 5am this morning. I guess I woke up at 430am this morning for a reason. I'm so happy. My new place warming party is predicated on snow - so we can have a snowball fight and do other snow stuff. This is going to be awesome!

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/IMAG0151.jpg
(Wifie putting up the local gang sign)

ForeverAutumn
11-21-2010, 06:05 AM
Well, congratulations since you're so happy about it. It's nice to se someone who still loves snow. Ever since I had to give up skiing I have no use for the white stuff and could happily live without it. Unfortunately, living without it is not an option...they don't call it The Great White North for nothing. :D

We had one snow fall a few weeks ago but it didn't stick. We've had an unusually warm November. It's supposed to reach 14C tomorrow (that's about 57F). But I'm sure we'll pay for it later.

ForeverAutumn
11-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Well, I just wanted to thank Adam for cursing me by mentioning snow. Although tomorrow is supposed to be warm, today is not. And it's snowing! It was not in today's forecast, but there it is. :(

TheHills44060
11-21-2010, 01:48 PM
We had our first snow the first week in november...hate it.

dakatabg
11-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Here is Chicago is still fine but they say next week we will have some! Well it is about time!

atomicAdam
11-21-2010, 10:04 PM
I don't understand why you all hate the snow so much. Maybe I will at the end of the season - but tonight we had a fantastic drive up the mountain - full moon making the snow on the rock faces glow like lichen under black light. It was so fantastic to just drive home slowly - seat heaters on - wife's hand in mine.

Once we got home not bad either - crunch crunch under our feet the snow went. The new (to me) Land Rover drove up over the little snow bank and we in our parking spot. It was awesome. I think i'm gonna love having a 4x4.

noddin0ff
11-22-2010, 04:36 AM
Snow is magical indeed. And, lest you make the same error many snow newbies make, four-wheel drive is not magical. It gets you going when all else would fail, but it doesn't help you stop or keep you from sliding. Take it easy on the drive up and don't eat yellow snow!

GMichael
11-22-2010, 06:04 AM
Snow is great the first time, or if you're still a kid. After that, it's just more work. Enjoy it while you still can.

LOL: I do still get excited for the first snow of the season, but by March, it gets old. There is an old running joke about a guy & wife who move to the north. It starts off great with all the "how beautiful it is" etc, then slowly it turns bad. I might be able to find it and post it here but I think it had some rough language at the end. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: That didn't take long. Here it is. It doesn't seem too bad.

Shoveling Snow
December 8 6:00 PM

It started to snow. The first snow of the season and
the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by
the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down
from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses print.
I love snow!

December 9

We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow
covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic
sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the whole
world? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had!
Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a
boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks.
This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up
the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to
shovel again. What a perfect life!

December 12

The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a
disappointment! My neighbor tells me not to
worry-we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow
on Christmas would be awful. Bob says we'll have so
much snow by the end of winter that I'll never want to
see snow again. I don't think that's possible. Bob Is
such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14

Snow, lovely snow! 8 inches last night. The
temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything
sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed
up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is
the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and
buried everything again; I didn't realize I would have
to do this way. I wish I wouldn't huff and puff so.

December 15

20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4
Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2
extra snow shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife
wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I
think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16

Ice storm this morning. Fell on my ass on the ice in
the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The
wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very
cruel.

December 17

Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go
anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours, I had to
pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but
stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I
should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to
her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe
I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20

Electricity is back on, but had another 14 inches of
the damn stuff last night. More shoveling! Took all
day. The damn snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a
neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy
playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only
hardware store around to see about buying a snow
blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in
March, I think they're lying. Bob says I have to
shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I
think he's lying.

December 20

Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more
inches of the white **** fell today, and it's so cold,
it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes
to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I
had to piss. By the time I got undressed, pissed and
dressed again. I was too tired to shovel. Tried to
hire Bob who has a plow blade on his truck for the
rest of the winter, but he says he's too busy. I think
the ******* is lying.

December 23

Only 2 inches of snow today… And it warmed up to 0!
The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house
this morning. What is she, nuts?! Why didn't she tell
me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I
think she's lying.

December 24

6 inches - Snow packed so hard by snowplow, I broke
the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I
ever catch the son of a ***** who drives that snow
plow, I'll drag him through the snow by his balls and
beat him to death with my broken shovel. I know he
hides around the corner and waits for me to finish
shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100
miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just
cleared! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas
carols with her and open our presents, but I was too
busy watching for the damn snowplow.

December 25

Merry f---ing Christmas! 20 more inches of the damn
slop tonight - snowed in! The idea of shoveling makes
my blood boil. God, I hate the snow! Then the snowplow
driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him
over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a
bad attitude. I think she's a frickin' idiot! If I
have to watch "It's A Wonderful Life" one more time,
I'm going to stuff her into the microwave.

December 26

Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It
was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

December 27

Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze;
plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him... he
only charged me $1,400 to replace all my pipes.

December 28

Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. The B***h is
driving me crazy!

December 29

10 more goddammed inches! Bob says I have to shovel
the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest
thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30

Roof caved in. I beat up the snow plow driver, and now
he is suing me for a million dollars, not only for the
beating I gave him, but also for trying to shove the
broken snow shovel up his ass. The wife went home to
her mother. Nine more inches predicted…

December 31

I set fire to what's left of the house. No more
shoveling.

January 8

Feel so good. I just love those little white pills
they keep giving me. But why am I tied to the bed?

ForeverAutumn
11-22-2010, 08:31 AM
That's hilarious Mike! That about sums it up!

2.5 years ago, we moved from a condo with a driveway barely big enough for one car, to a larger home with four car driveway. To top it off, we have a sidewalk in front of our house. So not only do we have to shovel the drift from the plow clearing the road, but we have to clear drifts on either side of the sidewalk because they plow the sidewalk too.

Our first winter in the house, I suggested to my husband that we buy a snow-blower for the driveway and walkway to the house. I have asthma, so I can't shovel all that snow. My husband didn't want to spend the money on a snow-blower and promised me that he would do the shovelling. He lied.

Last year, we didn't have the money to buy a snow-blower because we had done so many renovations to the house. Luckily, we didn't have very much snow.

This year we still don't have the money. Hubby's job may be on the line and we're cutting our expenses just in case he ends up unemployed. At least if he's unemployed he'll have lots of time to shovel the snow! :)

Next year, I'm buying the damn snow-blower. So I totally sympathize with the guy in the story.

Adam, enjoy the snow while you're still able to enjoy the snow. It may take a few years, but eventually you'll become cold and bitter like the rest of us. :D

Oh, and Mike's advice about the 4x4 is right. My last car was all-wheel drive. It got me though many snow storms and even a flood, where other cars were stalled out in the water. A 4x4 is great to cut through the white stuff, but if you're on ice, you're as helpless as a rear-wheel-drive vehicle.

Mingus
11-22-2010, 08:32 AM
That's the funniest story I heard about snow.

atomicAdam
11-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Well maybe I will see it all your ways at the end of a season or two - but - maybe not.

You have to remember, I spent hours, in rain and cold, shoveling dirt, removing poison oak bushes, hacking out tree stumps, for bike trails. I know the snow is going to be cold, and the plow will be irritating - but i'm ready for it. It will be a good working out in the morning.

But lets check back in a couple months to see how it goes.

And yes, I know, and thank you for reminding me. Drive slowly and safely. I got a '99 Land Rover Discovery. It is wickedly comfortable and I love driving at about 40mph or slower in it. I feel like I'm pimpin'.

JohnMichael
11-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Nothing better than a walk at 10:00pm with a close friend through a fresh and virgin snowfall. Our footprints were the only ones for miles. The crunch of the snow underfoot and the sounds deadened by the blanket of snow. Lights reflecting off the snow and it seems brighter with the snow covering the ground. Walking in silence and awe at how beautiful everything can be. A fresh new world. When all of a sudden I realized how damn cold my feet were and we went back and made tea. Miss you Arturo.

poppachubby
11-23-2010, 03:46 AM
Nothing better than a fresh ... virgin...

I agree John. But getting sentimental about snow?!? Pfffttt....

Trinity
11-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Adam,

How much snow you got up there?

I might take a drive up, just for fun.

ForeverAutumn
11-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Nothing better than a walk at 10:00pm with a close friend through a fresh and virgin snowfall. Our footprints were the only ones for miles. The crunch of the snow underfoot and the sounds deadened by the blanket of snow. Lights reflecting off the snow and it seems brighter with the snow covering the ground. Walking in silence and awe at how beautiful everything can be. A fresh new world. When all of a sudden I realized how damn cold my feet were and we went back and made tea. Miss you Arturo.

My favourite snowfall...I was 16 and high on acid. Walking home late at night it started snowing. Big, fluffy flakes sparkling in the street lights. It was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen. Here I am, almost 30 years later, still thinking that it was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen. And my best friend then, and still now, remembers it the same way. We were just talking about it a few weeks ago in fact.

:idea: Maybe I need to take more acid to get me through the winters. :thumbsup:

atomicAdam
11-23-2010, 09:30 AM
not as much as I would like. It is melting at the moment but we might get more tonight and tomorrow. Tubing is supposed to be open this weekend - but I we are going to be in Bishop climbing.

Shoot me an email or something when you plan to come up. You can swing by the place and hear the MK88. It is getting well broken in and has scored a lot of point with a friend. We are going to try to hit up Inland Sound tomorrow (wed the 24th) to plug it into some Maggie 1.7 if they have them.

-adam

woofersus
11-23-2010, 09:57 AM
I grew up in the snow belt in Northeast Ohio and I have to say I still enjoy snow, at least for the first half of winter. Here in Central Ohio we don't get the snow off the lake so we only get falls of 8+ inches a few times per season (although last winter was one of the snowiest on record here) and I get tired of the cold pretty fast. It's not as bad as that story - I think the coldest week here brought lows in the -10 range last year - but 10-15 in the daytime is plenty cold for me. The only real complaint I have about the snow is the fact that the snowplow pushes slush all up against the side of my car which freezes so hard I have to use a crowbar and a blowtorch to get it out, and I get tired of driving slowly everywhere by about February.

By April I'm also generally pretty antsy to get out the motorcycle.

GMichael
11-23-2010, 09:59 AM
:idea: Maybe I need to take more acid to get me through the winters. :thumbsup:
Or be 16 again.:out:

TheHills44060
11-23-2010, 04:04 PM
I grew up in the snow belt in Northeast Ohio...
Tell me about it! Lake effect and the living in the snow belt sucks!

Trinity
11-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Not sure about when to go up to your place.

The funny thing is as long as we've been living here, we'd never gone up there. :)

Let me know how the MK88 played with the Mag.

May be you should take the Trinity home for an audition too. Just say the words.

not as much as I would like. It is melting at the moment but we might get more tonight and tomorrow. Tubing is supposed to be open this weekend - but I we are going to be in Bishop climbing.

Shoot me an email or something when you plan to come up. You can swing by the place and hear the MK88. It is getting well broken in and has scored a lot of point with a friend. We are going to try to hit up Inland Sound tomorrow (wed the 24th) to plug it into some Maggie 1.7 if they have them.

-adam

Poultrygeist
11-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Thanksgiving in South Carolina was spent in shorts, tees and flip flops. Usually little chance for a white Christmas here but when it ocasionally happens there's nothing prettier than snow capped Palmetto palms.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-25-2010, 03:11 PM
The family wanted to spend Thanksgiving at the family vaca home in the Sierra's, so I am going snowboarding to counter the punishment. I wanted to go south, they wanted north, so off I go to the slopes.

I grew up in New York City. It did not snow all the time, but when it did, life was just miserable. Fell head first into a deep drift during an extremely snowy period in the city, and it took me 5 minutes to get out, and those damn New Yorkers just walked past my kicking legs!

I miss that city!(sigh)

atomicAdam
11-26-2010, 08:42 AM
I took/am taking my poor wifie camping at Bishop this weekend. It hit the teens last night. But it is hard to argue when the view is this good. We are going sledding today in Mammoth and maybe hit up the Buttermilks for some bouldering. Right now though, checking email and drinking coffee in town.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/turkeydayaftermathinbishop.jpg

poppachubby
11-27-2010, 04:50 AM
Looks like an ad for Range Rover. Gorgeous backdrop, reminds me of BC.

TheHills44060
11-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Yeah that is a pretty amazing pic. I am a city boy so I wouldn't last 2 seconds in that environment but it's so cool you can spend time with your wife enjoying experiences together like that.

atomicAdam
11-28-2010, 09:08 AM
PC - LOL - Range Rovers can suck it. My Land Rover is way gnarlier a 4x4!

I got some more photos - we went to Owens Gorge to climb on Saturday but all we got was a warm up climb, than the snow started. You're all gonna love the photos and the view of the hike in and out. It is one of those hikes where, if you fall, you are either going to be in so much pain you wish you were dead, or you already are.

atomicAdam
11-28-2010, 10:22 PM
I took my wife down Owen's Gorge. We had planned to climb with a friend but we each only got a warm up climb in before it started snowing.

Here is a photo of us at the top, after the hike in/down/climb/hike up. It is one of those hikes where if you go over the trail, you'll most likely be going home in a casket.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/IMAG0273.jpg

Wifie was a total trooper this day. She even did a 70ft 5.6 climb that was a bit meandering and slick.

The trail down and in...
http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/IMAG0245.jpg

We saw a lot of awesome stuff - but I'm so going back to climb this crack in Pine Creek. I don't know how, when, or where I'm even going to be able to place protection - but I've def got a goal.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/IMAG0230.jpg

Anyways - it was an awesome trip. Once I get all the photos up on my P-blog I'll post a link for those who might be interested.

Trinity
11-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Adam,

WOW!

poppachubby
12-06-2010, 03:12 AM
Apparently the end of the world is in progress. Jehovah has seen fit to bury us alive in snow.

Where's Adam now?!? I expected him to fly in on a golden shovel and rescue us. Pfffft....

Feanor
12-06-2010, 04:55 AM
Apparently the end of the world is in progress. Jehovah has seen fit to bury us alive in snow.

Where's Adam now?!? I expected him to fly in on a golden shovel and rescue us. Pfffft....
... and more to come today, Chad. :shocked:

TheHills44060
12-06-2010, 05:23 AM
...I expected him to fly in on a golden shovel and rescue us. Pfffft....
LOL!!!!

Drive in to work this morning was soooo slow.

Worf101
12-06-2010, 05:46 AM
We've only had one snow event. It was on my birthday. November 8th. We had 3 inches of slush. My guys took me out for lunch. There were 6 wrecks between our offices and the Snacker Barrell down on Route 4. Four of em were just spin-offs, but the remaining 2 were real crackups!!!! Tourists!!!!!

G-Man - That's story's pretty funny. I've seen various versions of it over the years but the funniest was from the viewpoint of a Jamaican immigrant who somehow moved to Colorado. There's nothing like the smell of Jamaican cuss words in the morning, smells like... victory.

Worf

ForeverAutumn
12-06-2010, 06:42 AM

I hear you guys really got walloped yesterday. We received about a foot of the white stuff overnight and it's still coming down. But it's a very soft powder so it's only a foot until you step on it, then it compresses down to just a couple of inches.

ForeverAutumn
12-06-2010, 06:43 AM
We saw a lot of awesome stuff - but I'm so going back to climb this crack in Pine Creek. I don't know how, when, or where I'm even going to be able to place protection - but I've def got a goal.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/IMAG0230.jpg

I would just like to go on record saying that I think you're absolutely and totally INSANE!!! :out:

(and that I love seeing your pictures so keep 'em coming).

poppachubby
12-06-2010, 06:46 AM
When it's all said and done we will have 100+ cm. That's about 3.5 feet for you Yanks. So Worf, you best go somewhere with your 3 inches of slush. I welcome 3 inches of slush.

This pic is hard to decipher because everything just looks white, there's no sense of depth or height.

Why Jehovah?!!? Whyyyyyy? I even read a Watchtower once on the crapper, apparently not enough.

GMichael
12-06-2010, 08:01 AM
No show here yet. Well, it was snowing this morning, but all it did was make the edges of the grass line turn white. Nothing on the roads yet.

poppachubby
12-06-2010, 12:21 PM
It's official, the city is fully shut down. Tommorrrow too I'm sure. Just emergency services and such. Most employers have closed down and sent people home.

ForeverAutumn
12-06-2010, 12:43 PM
It's official, the city is fully shut down. Tommorrrow too I'm sure. Just emergency services and such. Most employers have closed down and sent people home.

Well that sucks to have that much snow. Although I have an exam on Thursday and not enough free time this week to study properly, so I could really use a snow day to study. It's been snowing here all day, but it's light. There's not enough of it to shut anything down.

GMichael
12-06-2010, 01:34 PM
What kind of cars do you guys (& gals) drive up there?

Feanor
12-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Still drivin' the '02 Taurus Wagon

ForeverAutumn
12-06-2010, 05:26 PM

Zambonis.

atomicAdam
12-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I've got a golden shovel ( actually funny you mention that - we gave a real (painted real) golden shovel to a friend of ours who does a lot of trail work in pacifica one year for his b-day or x-mas or something ) but even though I have one, figuratively speaking, i don't have a plane ticket... sorry.

it rained here - i was hoping for snow - but none in the forecast.

TheHills44060
12-07-2010, 05:20 AM
When it's all said and done we will have 100+ cm. That's about 3.5 feet for you Yanks. So Worf, you best go somewhere with your 3 inches of slush. I welcome 3 inches of slush.

This pic is hard to decipher because everything just looks white, there's no sense of depth or height.

Why Jehovah?!!? Whyyyyyy? I even read a Watchtower once on the crapper, apparently not enough.
Looks like Cleveland yesterday. Work let us all out early at 3:15 which was a welcomed surprise.

...it rained here - i was hoping for snow - but none in the forecast.
you are a sick man lol!

Acura RSX w/Dunlop Winter Sport M3's...amaaaaazing winter tire.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e140/shodulik/jdm_1.jpg

poppachubby
12-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Hey Charm who is that in your avatar? She's beautiful...

GMichael
12-07-2010, 06:47 AM
Looks like Cleveland yesterday. Work let us all out early at 3:15 which was a welcomed surprise.

you are a sick man lol!

Acura RSX w/Dunlop Winter Sport M3's...amaaaaazing winter tire.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e140/shodulik/jdm_1.jpg
Nice Acura. I had a CL 3.0 from 1997 till 2009. Great car.

atomicAdam
12-21-2010, 12:03 PM
still no snow at my level after the 1st batch. That should change - but for the time being - wifie and I - and others - are stuck in the mtns. The road got washed out. Hopefully it will get fixed sooner than later. The worst part of the storm is supposed to come on Wed. But there is a ski lift up this way that is dying for some customers - so I would hope they have some pull to get the road fixed.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/IMAG0364.jpg

FYI - I have a nice video of this on my FB - if you friend me you can see it.

poppachubby
12-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Holy chit Adam!!! This makes up for your snowy ignorance, that's absolutely insane. Looks like the movie 2012. Hope you guys are safe!

Worf101
12-22-2010, 05:32 AM
I tell my son quite often that H-20 IN ALL IT'S FORMS CAN KILL YOU DEAD.

Avalanche and ice can bury and crush you.

Water willl wash away you, your house your car etc...

Steam will make you lobster right quick.

Stay off the roads Adam and watch that hill behind your house. We've grown used to you and can't afford to lose you.

Worf....

PS Amazing photo dude.

ForeverAutumn
12-22-2010, 06:20 AM
Wow. That's crazy. I hope you have enough food and water to get by until the roads are open again...and that it's fixed soon. In the meantime, stay safe.

ForeverAutumn
02-01-2011, 10:41 AM
It looks like we're gonna get walloped tonight. We've had a few minor snowfalls here, 6-8inches at a time falling over long periods of time, so not a huge deal...nothing like Feanor and PoppaChubby have experienced in their neck of the woods. But all that is about to change. Enviroment Canada is calling for blizzard-like conditions starting tonight and going well into tomorrow. Could be a snow day tomorrow. I've already had two meetings cancelled in anticipation of people not being able to make it into work.

I'm thinking that this'll be a good opportunity to test out my new 4WD. :D

GMichael
02-01-2011, 11:02 AM
It looks like we're gonna get walloped tonight. We've had a few minor snowfalls here, 6-8inches at a time falling over long periods of time, so not a huge deal...nothing like Feanor and PoppaChubby have experienced in their neck of the woods. But all that is about to change. Enviroment Canada is calling for blizzard-like conditions starting tonight and going well into tomorrow. Could be a snow day tomorrow. I've already had two meetings cancelled in anticipation of people not being able to make it into work.

I'm thinking that this'll be a good opportunity to test out my new 4WD. :D
I had a fun drive in today. The plows seem to be saving their salt for tonight's storm. In the mean time there were 18 wheelers in the ditch all over the place. AWD get me home. We got 6 inches this morning and 18 expected for tonight. It's times like this that I love snow. But tomorrow I'll be cursing it as I shovel out.

dakatabg
02-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Here in Chicago we expect 10 to 16 inches of snow. Some schools and jobs are already closed! It must be fun driving a rear wheel drive car.

GMichael
02-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Here in Chicago we expect 10 to 16 inches of snow. Some schools and jobs are already closed! It must be fun driving a rear wheel drive car.
Don't you mean that it must be fun to be stuck in a rear wheel drive? Not sure how much driving will get done in one.

Robert-The-Rambler
02-01-2011, 11:31 AM
On Long Island we have had over 50 inches of snow already this winter and tonight we expect an ice storm to add insult to injury. Then to top it off it is going to rain cats and dogs and then refreeze later tommorrow. There is already over two feet of snow already on the ground with drifts higher than 4 or 5 feet. I wonder what will happen next week.

ForeverAutumn
02-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Our executive assistant sent this along with instruction on how to find out if the office will be closed tomorrow. Cute little video...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rySQBKtMlGc" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

ForeverAutumn
02-01-2011, 11:44 AM
On Long Island we have had over 50 inches of snow already this winter and tonight we expect an ice storm to add insult to injury. Then to top it off it is going to rain cats and dogs and then refreeze later tommorrow. There is already over two feet of snow already on the ground with drifts higher than 4 or 5 feet. I wonder what will happen next week.

Wow. That really sucks. We've had it pretty easy so far this year. Last year we had almost no snow, but 2009 and 2008 were both record breakers for snow fall. This storm is supposed to break some records, I hear. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it goes. I think I'll hit the supermarket on the way home for some canned goods that we can heat on the BBQ in case the power goes out.

It's times like this I miss our old woodstove. We never had to worry about food or heat as long as we had a good supply of wood.

GMichael
02-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Wow. That really sucks. We've had it pretty easy so far this year. Last year we had almost no snow, but 2009 and 2008 were both record breakers for snow fall. This storm is supposed to break some records, I hear. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it goes. I think I'll hit the supermarket on the way home for some canned goods that we can heat on the BBQ in case the power goes out.

It's times like this I miss our old woodstove. We never had to worry about food or heat as long as we had a good supply of wood.
The stores will be packed. Just be ready for it.

Worf101
02-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Ah have had jest about enough of this chit!.

Worf

Mingus
02-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Don't remind me of the snow. In NYC we already had two 15" blizzards already this season. There's already a 5 foot snow mound in front of my house and more snow or freezing rain is expected for the next few days.

atomicAdam
02-01-2011, 09:15 PM
we got teased with snow on saturday - i was all like - ITS SNOWING - and then all the snow was like melting when it hit the ground and I was very sad.

ForeverAutumn
02-02-2011, 05:21 AM
It's official. SNOW DAY! My office is closed today. :D

Sorry Adam, but you're welcome to come over here and help me shovel the driveway. :) There's about a foot of snow on it at the moment and it's still coming down. We're expecting another 8 - 10 inches.

GMichael
02-02-2011, 07:01 AM

Sorry Adam, but you're welcome to come over here and help me shovel the driveway. :) There's about a foot of snow on it at the moment and it's still coming down. We're expecting another 8 - 10 inches.
I called our 'weather hot line' and found out that we were open. Got ready for work. Called again. Left for work. Called again on the way to be sure. Drove 40 miles through snow and ice.
AND THEY WERE CLOSED!
Then drove 40 more miles through snow and ice to get home. Grrrr......:incazzato:

We were expecting 18 inches but most of it is turning out to be ice & freezing rain. Maybe we got 4 inches of the white stuff.

atomicAdam
02-02-2011, 07:06 AM
I called our 'weather hot line' and found out that we were open. Got ready for work. Called again. Left for work. Called again on the way to be sure. Drove 40 miles through snow and ice.
AND THEY WERE CLOSED!
Then drove 40 more miles through snow and ice to get home. Grrrr......:incazzato:

We were expecting 18 inches but most of it is turning out to be ice & freezing rain. Maybe we got 4 inches of the white stuff.

GM - you know when you make the punch line a much bigger font and in a different color - it kind of ruins the story ;)

But that does super suck - I hope how ever is in charge of that gets a beat down from you.

atomicAdam
02-02-2011, 07:06 AM

I'm jealous - I def haven't grown sick of the snow because we haven't had enough.

ForeverAutumn
02-02-2011, 07:19 AM
I'm jealous - I def haven't grown sick of the snow because we haven't had enough.

And now I'm jealous of you. Maybe we should just house swap houses next winter. :)

atomicAdam
02-02-2011, 07:23 AM
And now I'm jealous of you. Maybe we should just house swap houses next winter. :)

I don't think I'm allowed in your country anymore. On account of what I did with that bear and maple syrup.

GMichael
02-02-2011, 07:24 AM
GM - you know when you make the punch line a much bigger font and in a different color - it kind of ruins the story ;)

But that does super suck - I hope how ever is in charge of that gets a beat down from you.
HAHAHA.. I thought the same thing as I read it back, but just left it as is.

I'll be sure to tell our company pres that I owe him a beat down. Maybe he'll just give me his old ML's to make up for it. It's not like he ever turns them on. Such a waste.

GMichael
02-02-2011, 07:26 AM
I don't think I'm allowed in your country anymore. On account of what I did with that bear and maple syrup.
You weren't really there to hunt were you?:eek6:

:arf: :yikes:

atomicAdam
02-02-2011, 07:34 AM
You weren't really there to hunt were you?:eek6:

:arf: :yikes:

Hunt - no. I don't like hunting unless you plan to eat it - and bear doesn't taste good - I'd think.

ForeverAutumn
02-02-2011, 07:34 AM
You hunt bears with guns, not maple syrup...silly boy.

atomicAdam
02-02-2011, 07:38 AM

Why'd you guys think of hunting right off the bat?

ForeverAutumn
02-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Hunt - no. I don't like hunting unless you plan to eat it - and bear doesn't taste good - I'd think.

Bear hunting is very strictly regulated so I don't know anyone who's eaten bear. I tried Moose once. It was awful!!!

GMichael
02-02-2011, 07:39 AM
I think that he was just there to enjoy the 'wild-life'.

ForeverAutumn
02-02-2011, 07:41 AM

I was responding to GM. He's the one who mentioned hunting.

ForeverAutumn
02-02-2011, 07:42 AM
I think that he was just there to enjoy the 'wild-life'.

Maybe it was just a spelling mistake. Maybe he meant 'bare' and maple syrup...because that would make a lot more sense. :ihih:

atomicAdam
02-02-2011, 07:45 AM
I was responding to GM. He's the one who mentioned hunting.

A few years back in college I used to work at a photo print shop. we'd get these photos every now and again of these trophy hunters - i had their address and everything - it was good i wasn't getting paid enough to make that plane trip.

ForeverAutumn
02-02-2011, 07:49 AM
i had their address and everything - it was good i wasn't getting paid enough to make that plane trip.

To do what? Show up for dinner?

atomicAdam
02-02-2011, 07:52 AM
To do what? Show up for dinner?

Yes - exactly - to show up for dinner and serve them some justice.

ForeverAutumn
02-02-2011, 08:09 AM
We're getting way off topid here but...Trophy hunting is disgusting. I don't condone hunting but I realize that most humans are carnivorous and are going to eat meat. If someone is going to hunt and eat their catch, I don't like it but I don't really see how it's that much different than going to a supermarket and buying meat...as long as the hunted animal is killed quickly and not left to bleed out or suffer. And a hunted animal is probably a lot healthier to eat than a processed animal who is filled with antibiotics and hormones.

GMichael
02-02-2011, 08:47 AM
What else would you do with a bear?

atomicAdam
02-26-2011, 08:39 AM
Well we got about 2ft last night. It is wonderful. Land Rover is buried and it got so cold the battery wont flip the starter over. I meant to get a new battery last month, but... well we all know how that goes.

Anyways - looks like I am stuck in a winter wonder land today!

atomicAdam
02-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Just shoveled out the drive way - got the battery charged and land rover turned around. Man it was a blast driving and digging all that snow. helped a bunch of cars get unstuck too. This snow is awesome!