What cartridge for my Pioneer PL-518? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What cartridge for my Pioneer PL-518?

rakeford
11-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Hey gang, I bought a used Pioneer PL-518 TT. What's a good cartridge to match it? My ball park budget is $50-200, but I'm interested in the discounted Shure M97XE. I don't think I'm ready for MC- I don't have an MC phono preamp and don't want to spend the coin.

The PL-518 came with a Shure 2215 cartridge with a 2225 stylus. It looks like replacement stylus are $13 to $30, but I don't think the cartridge it worthy of a new stylus. I'd rather spend the coin on a new cartridge.

My main train is a Yamaha RX-797 (with MM PHONO input) into two Kilpsch RF-7s, but I have other options (Yamaha RX-777, Optimus 2B). My favorite music is 60's-70's Rock-n-Roll.

My current TT is working well,
Philips GA312/Stanton 681EEE/Jico D6800EEE-S Shibata Stylus => Yamaha RX-797 (with MM PHONO input) => two Kilpsch RF-7s, although I need to debug some low-level humm issues.

For my audio education, I'll likely rotate the new cartidge and my current 681EEE/Jico D6800EEE-S between the PL-518 and the GA312. I've never wandered far from my 1978 Philips GA312/Stanton 681EEE. I'm ready to explore.

Thanks

02audionoob
11-20-2010, 02:14 PM
The usual suspects should serve you well, depending on your tastes...Grado Red, Ortofon 2M Red, 2M Blue, Nagaoka MP-110, Audio Technica AT440MLa...and of course the Shure M97XE. You could go for the Shure now and see what all the buzz about the JICO styli is later. The MC cartridges you see in this price range are generally high output, which is designed for MM phono stages.

Mr Peabody
11-20-2010, 02:52 PM
IF memory serves the 681 was more of a DJ cartridge. You'd get more fidelity from the series with the 847, that used to be the flagship in that series. I had a Pioneer PL-51, I loved Ortofon, the Stanton and Shure were runners up. I personally didn't care for Audio Technika, could have been associated gear at the time.

02audionoob
11-20-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm not much of an AT fan, either, although the AT95E might be a good match...as would a Nagaoka.

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=NAGAOKAMP011&Category_Code=NAGAOKACART

hifitommy
11-21-2010, 09:58 AM
i think you'll find that the pio outperforms the philips so i would first put the stanton 681(never was a DJ cart) into the pio for immediate comparison. my friend made me a tape using the 312 and i could hear the effects of the poorer bearings.

the choices of new carts is very wide, the ortofon 2M series might just surprise you.

i have always wanted to suggest a different tt than the 312 to you but didnt want to burst your bubble.

have fun with discoveries.

poppachubby
11-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Hey rake, I own a PL-516, the belt driven version of your 518. I had an Ortofon 2M Red, Shure M97xe, an Empire 2000E and...uhhhh. Oh right, I had the Sumiko Blue Point on it.

Actually, I had great results with the Blue Point. I don't want to sound snobby, but if you really want to discover your vinyl, you should move beyond entry level. For that I think that the Shure M97xe with JICO is your only option in your range.

You owe it to yourself to net "the next level", even if it means saving a bit more.

You must know Big Bill at AK? I am pretty sure he has a modded PL-518 and uses an Ortofon Samba. You should talk to him. My opinion regarding MC on a table like that is that it's too noisy.

rakeford
11-21-2010, 12:24 PM
The usual suspects should serve you well, depending on your tastes...Grado Red, Ortofon 2M Red, 2M Blue, Nagaoka MP-110, Audio Technica AT440MLa...and of course the Shure M97XE. You could go for the Shure now and see what all the buzz about the JICO styli is later. The MC cartridges you see in this price range are generally high output, which is designed for MM phono stages.
Thanks for the list, I'm looking into all of these.

i think you'll find that the pio outperforms the philips so i would first put the stanton 681(never was a DJ cart) into the pio for immediate comparison. my friend made me a tape using the 312 and i could hear the effects of the poorer bearings.

the choices of new carts is very wide, the ortofon 2M series might just surprise you.

i have always wanted to suggest a different tt than the 312 to you but didnt want to burst your bubble.

have fun with discoveries.
Thanks for the feedback on the 312. It hurts a little, but I'll get over it. I have 32 years of nostalgia to get past on the GA312/Stanton 681EEE, I bought 'em new in 1978. It does sound good to me with the new Jico Shibata stylus on it. :o

Hey rake, I own a PL-516, the belt driven version of your 518. I had an Ortofon 2M Red, Shure M97xe, an Empire 2000E and...uhhhh. Oh right, I had the Sumiko Blue Point on it.

Actually, I had great results with the Blue Point. I don't want to sound snobby, but if you really want to discover your vinyl, you should move beyond entry level. For that I think that the Shure M97xe with JICO is your only option in your range.

You owe it to yourself to net "the next level", even if it means saving a bit more.

You must know Big Bill at AK? I am pretty sure he has a modded PL-518 and uses an Ortofon Samba. You should talk to him. My opinion regarding MC on a table like that is that it's too noisy.
Nice, your list is somewhat consistant with 02audionoob's list. Right now I'm leaning toward the Shure M97xE because it's so cheap and it will get me started.

More money is coming soon, I promise!

All else: thanks for your replies. Stay tuned.

poppachubby
11-21-2010, 03:30 PM
$200 should net you the Shure AND the JICO upgrade. I have that model of Shure and it's a great cart. Very listenable and laidback.

Enochrome
11-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Bro,

These guys before me know what they are talk'n about. Any of those rec's are quality. If you want a thick analog sound go for the Nagaoka MP-110, so does the Grado, but they track horribly (although there is whole new series to the Prestige line "i" that have said to have solved this). For system match to what you already have, it seems that you could use a fuller more warm analog sound?

If not, I heartily recommend the Denon-110, it has a great balance of all tonal possibilities and it is VERY detailed. It is my current cart and I am loving, and the price of $140.00 is good.

But wait!........someone on Audiogon is selling an unused Benz MC20E 2 (http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgcart&1295552743&/Benz-Micro-Mc20e-2-Moving-Coil) for $99.99! This would already be mine if it was only for the fact that it is not a good match for my tone arm. I think this would be a killer deal and someone will jump on this quick.

Mr Peabody
11-21-2010, 07:39 PM
It's been over 20 years since I sold Stanton, there was a model I sold to a local radio station because it allowed backward rotation of the LP and I thought it was the 681. We did stock the 681 and it could be the number just sounds familiar though.