Fill the Room [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fill the Room

cackalacky
11-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Now that I've found my Holy Grail in home audio speakers with the Maggie 1.7s, I'm on a new quest. The Maggies (and most other premium speakers) have a pretty narrow sweet spot, often resulting in just one person getting to experience the ultimate sound that a particular system produces.

Now, I'm looking for the party speaker, something that will throw a long, wide, deep, quality dispersion. I know that nearfield listening will be compromised, but hey, you can't have it all. A speaker built for a room in which people are moving around. I guess I'm trying to re-live the college days.

I recently heard some PSB Image T-6 towers ($1,200) that filled the room and sounded really good. Their way-above-average bass extension left me thinking that a sub might not be necessary.

I'll be trying to fill 3 rooms combined (kitchen, dining, den) with 24' x 32' rough dimensions, mostly 9' ceilings. I'm leaning toward the NAD 375BEE amp, or maybe the Emotiva XPA-2.

Thoughts?

Mr Peabody
11-19-2010, 11:25 PM
My choice for what you are looking for would be something from Klipsch's Heritage series, possibly Reference, or Cerwin Vega's CLS series. I haven't heard the CLS but they are supposed to be a stand out product for CV, check out that CLS-215. That would rock the house. Either Klipsch or CV with a XPA-2 and they'd hear you for blocks.

cackalacky
11-20-2010, 08:52 PM
My choice for what you are looking for would be something from Klipsch's Heritage series, possibly Reference, or Cerwin Vega's CLS series. I haven't heard the CLS but they are supposed to be a stand out product for CV, check out that CLS-215. That would rock the house. Either Klipsch or CV with a XPA-2 and they'd hear you for blocks.

Heh. The CV website calls it "eviction notice" performance.

harley .guy07
11-20-2010, 10:31 PM
I have heard the same from the Cerwin Vega CLS series and there have even been higher end publications review them and they were pleasantly surprised at how good they sound for a speaker that was obviously made for high spl listening and super huge bass response. from what I have read they are somewhat easy to drive but with the emotiva amp you are looking at I don't think you will have a problem jamming those things but I was real surprised to read that they actually said that the big vega's produced a very high quality sound and had very good detail and smoothness for a "party speaker". They added that they did not have the refinement of say dynaudio or your maggies but they were a lot better that pretty much anything that has came from CV. I think if you wanted to relive my hard party cranking it up days I don't think you could find a better speaker for this purpose that I have found. And to boot I believe they are around 1,000 bucks a pair so they aren't a bank account drainer like some audio products.

dakatabg
11-20-2010, 10:34 PM
The Cerwin Vega CLS was replaced with the XLS Series!

http://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audio/xls-series-floorstanding-bookshelf-center-channel-subwoofers-speakers.html

budgetaudio76
11-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Try a pair of MX series Vegas...Ive got two pairs...the 400s and the 250s. Theyo will ound as any other vegas out there and sound good at it!

thekid
11-21-2010, 03:55 AM
I can only speak from my personal experience with a few speakers which are all from an earlier era....

I rocked the our block party this year with a pair of original Large Advents (acutally blew out the original foam as it turned out but that was because they were original anyway). They produce pretty good bass and are easy enough on the ears across all ranges. I would also recommend some of the early Polk Monitor series;either 7's or 10's. The use a radiator woofer but can they definitely can hit the low end. I regularly am amazed on how they crank out Pink Floyds "Dark Side of the Moon" at even modest volumes.

harley .guy07
11-21-2010, 07:45 AM
The Cerwin Vega CLS was replaced with the XLS Series!

http://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audio/xls-series-floorstanding-bookshelf-center-channel-subwoofers-speakers.html

I think Vega had something going with the CLS series and I hope they kept that kind of audio magic with the XLS series since Cerwin Vega has never been known for smoothness and detail and normally they need to be equalized to have an even frequency balance and the CLS series was the first Vega's that did not need this type of treatment. I just hope vega did not hurt their chances to get in the good graces with the sound quality crowd by changing a series that was well received and highly rated to one that will not deliver as well. But the good thing is that it looks like the changes are minimal so that might be a good thing.