Finally bought an HDMI for my (relatively) new LCD... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Finally bought an HDMI for my (relatively) new LCD...

Jimmy C
11-18-2010, 03:09 PM
...and WOW, I wasted about a year watching a crappy picture!

Well, I was lazy, should I get it cheap online, or just friggin' go to to a chain store and pay, heard different results from "no difference at all" (vs. analogue) to "amazing". Basically never got around to it.

Decided to go to Radio Shack and got a Monster on sale. Went home, hooked it up, and.... uugghhh... no difference. Maybe worse?!?! How can this be? I called Sony, and they walked me through a few picture adjustments - O.K., a bit better but no "WOW" factor. Then the rep said: "O.K., now we have to go into the Cablevision box" To make a long story longer, it was set on "Normal"... scrolled down to "HDMI", pressed "Enter" and that was it! Now it's an ultra-tight, bright, amazing pic.

I wonder how many people don't realize the cable has to be adjusted?

recoveryone
11-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Maybe it is has to do with your local cable company set up. I got the WOW factor as soon I hooked it up and turned to HD channel. Even when I had the components cables the PQ was great. the HDMI cable showed its WOW factor with my BD player which is required by some sets to get the full 1080p.

Mr Peabody
11-18-2010, 06:48 PM
I think settings are probably a real issue as well as people not realizing they need the HD programming to see actual HD. Some think all you need is the TV and you are set.

I remember showing my mom her HD channels, "oh.... that is better". She was used to pushing a certain number and didn't know the HD version was on another channel number.

pixelthis
11-19-2010, 11:46 AM
I HAD been getting by with my old receivers analog component inputs, but once I tried
HDMI I knew that was over. THE DIGITAL picture of HDMI can't be beat.
My problem is my second gen cable box(Motorola). If I SHUT the system down with the
input on cable, and crank it back up, the box switches to 720p! I have to get up and push the selector on front of the box.
IF I switch to computer before shutdown, and the system cranks with the input set to computer everythings ok, I switch to cable and it stays 1080i.
Tried everything, has something to do with the handshake.:1: