Harman Kardon [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Harman Kardon

Dale M
04-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Hello
A few weeks back I was asking for opinions on a few different receivers,Im New to the world of HT and Appreciate ALL of the help I got from All of you, Anyways I listened to alot of receivers and talked to alot of salesman, , seems most receivers are pretty good and sound pretty good to my untrained ears, So bought what sounded the best to Me that was within my price. I ended up with an H/K AVR-225, its last years model and got it for half the price of the current AVR-230 , And to ME, it sounds Great.
This receiver has a feature called Ez-set, And from what I can see calibrates the sound from all the speakers for the room its in,,, is this the same idea as what the Yamaha's
YPAO feature is???
Thanks Alot
Dale M

kexodusc
04-09-2004, 12:10 PM
EZ-set is not nearly as advanced as YPAO is...though I do think it's a great feature that most receivers should have had a couple of years ago.
In addition to setting the speaker volume levels, YPAO adjusts the delays for speaker distances, tests the speaker's size (ie: small or large) and then optimizes each speaker’s frequency response using a parametric equalizer.
It helps compensate for room imperfections and tries to balance the tonal qualities of all speakers.
This doesn't make your receiver obsolete or anything, and with a bit of work during setup, you can accomplish many of these features manually.
YPAO is actually a feature that can substantially improve the sound quality of your system, unlike alot features in today's A/V receivers that you may or may not need or use.

Pioneer and Denon seem to have comparable systems in their newer receivers, and I expect everyone else will follow this trend. But hey, we all got along just great for years without parametric equalization and other big fancy words, so don't sweat it... you've got a great unit and saved yourself alot of money to boot!!! Enjoy the H/K!

Ogeez
04-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Hello
A few weeks back I was asking for opinions on a few different receivers,Im New to the world of HT and Appreciate ALL of the help I got from All of you, Anyways I listened to alot of receivers and talked to alot of salesman, , seems most receivers are pretty good and sound pretty good to my untrained ears, So bought what sounded the best to Me that was within my price. I ended up with an H/K AVR-225, its last years model and got it for half the price of the current AVR-230 , And to ME, it sounds Great.
This receiver has a feature called Ez-set, And from what I can see calibrates the sound from all the speakers for the room its in,,, is this the same idea as what the Yamaha's
YPAO feature is???
Thanks Alot
Dale M
Nice system I think, I saved a couple of hundred on my HK AVR-220 and basically have the same as you. About the EZ-set, ya the Yammy is easier and closer to a one touch set up then the HK but with patience and trial and error your ears will help guide you through the set ups. The HK can do everything the Yammy can but unfortunately you have to manually do it. I'm new to HT and this is my first HT System, learning as I go and understanding my budget and my lack of experience I still think I made a great choice. Enjoy.