Cerwin Vega Re-30s + Technical Pro HB-1501 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cerwin Vega Re-30s + Technical Pro HB-1501

abitusclown
11-17-2010, 05:36 PM
I have a Technical Pro HB-1501 Hybrid amp/receiver (http://www.vimeo.com/3911226), which has 4 channels. I also have four Cerwin Vega Re30s (http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/cerwin-vega/floorstanding-speakers/re-30/PRD_120897_1594crx.aspx), which, according to the labeling on the back, are rated at 4 ohms and 250watts each (standard main with tweeter, middie, and a sub).

When I had a pair of the Re30s hooked up, it sounded pretty good, but I kept blowing out speaker fuses around 50 and above dbs (according to my receiver). So in my mind, I figured that the receiver was outputting more energy than the speakers could handle at higher volumes, which is why the fuses popped. No harm to the speakers has been done, but I have burned through two pairs of fuses in the last few weeks.

So I bought two more Re30s recently ($80 bucks for a pair) and set up all four. I was hoping that now I could keep the volume lower on the receiver but still create more overall volume because of having 4 speakers (instead of 2). By keeping the receiver volume lower but having more speakers, I was hoping to play louder and not be turning the receiver power up to avoid blowing fuses. I don't really know anything about audio equipment. Is my theory flawed?

I haven't noticed much change in overall volume (because the receiver is still outputting the same amount of power?) and in fact the sound seems a little fuzzier, which might only be something I'm making up in my head. The speakers are attached by standard copper wiring, large gauge.

Very basically, will my receiver handle all four Re30s without a problem at high volumes?

Technical Pro HB-1501 Technical Specs:
1500 watts peak power
500 watts @ 2 ohms
390 watts @ 4 ohms
220 watts @ 8 ohms
Inputs: RCA (2 audio sources)
Outputs: Banana binding post (to speakers)
One RCA dedicated for record line output
Two mono RCA dedicated for subwoofer output
One RCA dedicated for preamp output
Digital fluorescent output display meter
iPod / MP3 input with cable
110-220V Switchable

JoeE SP9
11-18-2010, 11:24 AM
According to what I've been able to find out about your Technical Pro "Hybrid" it's actually 70W RMS per channel. If this is so then you're just running out of power. It's very likely you're blowing speaker fuses because of amplifier clipping. Amplifier clipping is exactly why the fuses are there. More speaker damage is caused by amp clipping because of insufficient power than by having too much power.

Adding more speakers won't help. You'll still have the same amount of power. It's just divided between four instead of two speakers. You could make use of the preamp outputs and add a power amp with enough power. Be advised that the specs for power on your "Hybrid" may be a "tad" inflated and over stated. An Adcom GFA-535 or 5300 rated at 80W RMS per channel would probably run you out of the room. They can be had on the used market for ~$150. There are many other choices new and used. I'm sure others will have suggestions.

abitusclown
11-18-2010, 01:13 PM
By adding a power amp I'd be creating enough power to power all four channels properly, without harming the receiver?

Does it work linearly? Adding a power amp like the GFA535 to my receiver - would that create 150W RMS per channel? Or 80?

Should I look into finding a higher-rated receiver?

I'd like to aim for volume here, as this is a set-up used mainly on the weekends. That's why I chose the Cerwin Vegas in the first place.

JoeE SP9
11-18-2010, 03:17 PM
When you add another power amp it is separate from the internal amp in your receiver. although you would have more total power. It would be 70WPC from your receiver and 80WPC from the Adcom. You would drive one pair of speakers with each amp.

Cerwin Vega speakers are noted for playing very loud with lots of bass if not a lot of refinement. 70WPC into most CV's should have you running from the room with your hands over your ears. If one pair is taxing your receiver that's a sure sign the power rating is at the least inaccurate.

There are many amps you should consider. I mentioned Adcom because there are plenty of them available, the price is right and I have personal experience with them. You could also consider a "Pro" amp. The 2 Crown XLS's I recently purchased are an example. 300WPC @ 8 Ohms for ~$200 is something to think about. Once again, I mention them because I have personal experience with them. Adcom and Crown are just two of the many fine amplifiers available both new and used.

BTW: Speaker wattage ratings mean almost nothing. That's the reason "high end" speakers don't have power ratings. With too much power you usually bottom out the voice coils in the woofers when pushed too hard. Voice coil bottoming is obvious. The solution is to turn the volume down. With too little power the amplifier clips and usually blows either the speaker fuses or the tweeters.

abitusclown
11-23-2010, 09:11 PM
That helps a lot. Thank you very much for your help.

pixelthis
11-24-2010, 02:25 PM
That helps a lot. Thank you very much for your help.

BY chance, just where did you find this weird EURO type piece of gear? OR did they
just hire some English dude for the video to make it seem EURO?
i would be carefull with a piece of gear that advertises 1500 watts on a 70 watt
digital amp. Of course you don't need to worry about breaking the VEGAS, since they come from the factory that way. DON'T KNOW IF A digital amp clips, havent kept up, but that would be my main concern. And you need to reverse your concerns, also, might break that
amp on a chip receiver before you break the CERWINS. cerwins are rough but hard to break
(although some might like to do so).:1:

abitusclown
12-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks man. I'm sourcing adcom power amps right now, hope to buy one in a few weeks if I find a good deal. Hopefully that releases the strain on the receiver so much.

pixelthis
12-20-2010, 03:17 AM
Thanks man. I'm sourcing adcom power amps right now, hope to buy one in a few weeks if I find a good deal. Hopefully that releases the strain on the receiver so much.

It will.
A pre-amp is not that critical, as long as its what you would call "quiet".
Adcoms are a good amp, Auditioned my speakers on an Adcom integrated.
Good luck.:1: